Union vs. Rutland vs Wilflex vs Vortex (GSG) - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Union vs. Rutland vs Wilflex vs Vortex (GSG)

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 4th, 2018 Mar 4, 2018 7:29:41 AM -   #16 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,472 Posts

Default Re: Union vs. Rutland vs Wilflex vs Vortex (GSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfohler
I donít think most Union ink is print ready. We always thinned Maxopaque and LoBleed.
As a previous manual printer I would have agreed. Switching to a auto the first of the year beside the Union Eclipse LB white I havenít touched my reducer or soft hand additives. The maxopake is labeled for wet on wet and works very well with no build up when used without a underbase. When used with a underbase certain colors like red either have to be printed last or flashed, although I havenít tried using higher mesh yet for the problem colors.

When manually printing I mostly would have to print flash print to get the opacity I like. Now with auto with exception of white and yellow on dark garments on hit no flash.

One major deciding factor why Iíve stuck with union is ink usage. Iíve used about every brand Union, QCM, Excalibur, international coatings, one stroke, wilflex, and a few others. By far I use less ink with Union. Last year helped a guy print 750 front, back and a sleeve. He brought a gallon on one stroke. We were opening a case printing the front then the back and then sleeve as it was 2 colors each location and I had a 6/6 press. We didnít even get 1/2 though the 750 and ran out of ink. I had 1 1/2 gallon of Union Eclipse and was concerned maybe would run out plus I had printing of my own to do before I could get more ink. When we finished we had only used 3/4 of a gallon to finish.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2018 Mar 6, 2018 6:24:24 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
As a previous manual printer I would have agreed. Switching to a auto the first of the year beside the Union Eclipse LB white I havenít touched my reducer or soft hand additives. The maxopake is labeled for wet on wet and works very well with no build up when used without a underbase. When used with a underbase certain colors like red either have to be printed last or flashed, although I havenít tried using higher mesh yet for the problem colors.

When manually printing I mostly would have to print flash print to get the opacity I like. Now with auto with exception of white and yellow on dark garments on hit no flash.

One major deciding factor why Iíve stuck with union is ink usage. Iíve used about every brand Union, QCM, Excalibur, international coatings, one stroke, wilflex, and a few others. By far I use less ink with Union. Last year helped a guy print 750 front, back and a sleeve. He brought a gallon on one stroke. We were opening a case printing the front then the back and then sleeve as it was 2 colors each location and I had a 6/6 press. We didnít even get 1/2 though the 750 and ran out of ink. I had 1 1/2 gallon of Union Eclipse and was concerned maybe would run out plus I had printing of my own to do before I could get more ink. When we finished we had only used 3/4 of a gallon to finish.

Good info Sean, BTW what auto did you go with?

Old March 6th, 2018 Mar 6, 2018 8:23:04 PM -   #18 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac
Good info Sean, BTW what auto did you go with?
Right now due to space I have a Lawson mini trooper XL 5 color 6 station. I've had a couple other Lawson press that where just too big although I was able to run just not efficiently so I always went back to manual. After many, many adjustments to get the press all back straight I've got to say I am impressed with quality of prints. I seriously didn't expect the quality and the speed I'm getting. The other Lawson's printed Ok struggled with white.

It was used, Cheap although not put together so was a risk and from past experience and with this one if you call Lawson the guy isn't very helpful when inquiring about a press always ask for serial then says that's a older press, not much value and tries to sell you a new one. last time I talked to him I said so your saying your older press don't hold any value, may have issues, and just not worth buying....Why the heck would I ever buy a new one then? He hung up on me.

Old March 7th, 2018 Mar 7, 2018 9:16:02 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
Right now due to space I have a Lawson mini trooper XL 5 color 6 station. I've had a couple other Lawson press that where just too big although I was able to run just not efficiently so I always went back to manual. After many, many adjustments to get the press all back straight I've got to say I am impressed with quality of prints. I seriously didn't expect the quality and the speed I'm getting. The other Lawson's printed Ok struggled with white.

It was used, Cheap although not put together so was a risk and from past experience and with this one if you call Lawson the guy isn't very helpful when inquiring about a press always ask for serial then says that's a older press, not much value and tries to sell you a new one. last time I talked to him I said so your saying your older press don't hold any value, may have issues, and just not worth buying....Why the heck would I ever buy a new one then? He hung up on me.
I am in the same boat as far as space. I only have about 18' wall to wall so that limits me on my choices of autos and number of colors. I am looking at the Workhorse Saber 8/10 or maybe a Volt, both around 14' and in our budget.

I think the Lawson salesman got the question he didn't have a answer for. Lol.. But at least you got your set-up dialed in so congrats on that.

Unread January 23rd, 2019 Jan 23, 2019 11:50:05 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dan

We had been using Union ink for 30 years and recently they have started using a crappy "tuna can" lid to save 5Ę. You can't take the lid off or put it back on or even touch it without getting ink on your hands and we cuss at them every day. The company does not return our phone calls so we are switching ink brands to either IC (International Coatings) or One Stroke. Will update.

Unread April 13th, 2019 Apr 13, 2019 3:08:55 PM -   #21 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I've tried a lot and found myself going back to Union. Especially on the automatic, colors flash pretty well and opacity is great with the maxo pake. Wilflex I use for lighter goods.

Unread April 13th, 2019 Apr 13, 2019 3:09:40 PM -   #22 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I've tried a lot and found myself going back to Union. Especially on the automatic, colors flash pretty well and opacity is great with the maxo pake. Wilflex I use for lighter goods.

Unread April 13th, 2019 Apr 13, 2019 3:10:57 PM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I've tried a lot and found myself going back to Union. Especially on the automatic, colors flash pretty well and opacity is great with the maxo pake. Wilflex I use for lighter goods. Tuna can lid I agree with, i hate it ..

This is a discussion about Union vs. Rutland vs Wilflex vs Vortex (GSG) that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in