Red ink leaving pigments on white ink after wash - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Red ink leaving pigments on white ink after wash

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 3rd, 2017 Jan 3, 2017 3:45:40 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Red ink leaving pigments on white ink after wash

The red ink is coming off onto the white ink when washing. Ink used is is poly white, with red poly ink on top. Shirts are Sports grey 50/50 Gildan Dry Blend. The shirts pass the stretch test post curing and come out of the conveyor at around 375 with about 30 seconds of heat time. The same ink is used in the front of the shirt as well, but the adjacent color is navy, therefore the red did not get on any of the white in the front. The only reference I found online is “crocking”, red pigments migrating to the white ink. I also found that adding an extender base to red will fix this issue. I currently have about 80 shirts that are done and ready to be delivered to the customer, can I do anything to these to prevent this. What can I do in the future to prevent this from happening again. is this bad ink ?

the red and white are on 110 mesh.

pfpf white
pf red
navy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Jan 03, 7 14 49 PM.jpg (1.44 MB, 35 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2017 Jan 4, 2017 5:57:18 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Red ink leaving pigments on white ink after wash

Make sure when you're flashing your white that you're not getting the ink up to cure temp. Plastisol ink won't adhere to cured ink.

Old January 15th, 2017 Jan 15, 2017 11:24:34 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Agree with the above, that is most likely the problem

Old January 16th, 2017 Jan 16, 2017 6:38:20 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Larry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

What poly ink are you using? Mine cures at 290-300. I would never run though my dryer to 375. Wouldn't that overcure them?

Old January 16th, 2017 Jan 16, 2017 7:01:11 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Graphics
What poly ink are you using? Mine cures at 290-300. I would never run though my dryer to 375. Wouldn't that overcure them?
Your right my ink does cure at 290-300 as well. However I have a small conveyor and find that if the inks doesn't reach that 375 range upon exit, everything is undercurred. 375 on the surface may be the temp needed at my base. Any thoughts ?

Old January 16th, 2017 Jan 16, 2017 8:02:09 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Larry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by divers2deep
Your right my ink does cure at 290-300 as well. However I have a small conveyor and find that if the inks doesn't reach that 375 range upon exit, everything is undercurred. 375 on the surface may be the temp needed at my base. Any thoughts ?
OK...I'm confused When I run 100%poly shirts through my dryer the temp is set around 450 ish . I have the Vastex EconoRed1 with the infrared curing system and set about a 2.5 inch clearance in the chamber to belt. My temp gun reads at 295 -310 for only 6-10 seconds as it clears the chamber and I have never had a problem....on 50/50 and 100% cotton I adjust temp up accordingly to achieve cure temp.. If mine hit at surface 375 I'd be smoked out of the room and looking for a fire extinguisher (I think?) not going to try it to find out

This is a discussion about Red ink leaving pigments on white ink after wash that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in