White Plastisol Ink and Fibrillation Problems - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

White Plastisol Ink and Fibrillation Problems

Like Tree7Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 9:59:44 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Giancarlo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default White Plastisol Ink and Fibrillation Problems

Hello,

Working with white ink plastisol has been a nightmare. I always get fibrillation on my 50/50 and 100% cotton shirt. I ended up buying some Comet White Water Based ink from Ryonet, but the down side is that it dries too quickly and it's too expensive.

I've read that if I can make my white ink plastisol thinner with either viscosity reducer or low cure additive it can solve the problem of fibrillation. Which of these should I get? Also, how do you mix them? I've read post about using 3% of the additive but how do you mesure this up?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 10:41:13 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Jay
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: White Plastisol Ink and Fibrillation Problems

Union ink Co. 9000plus curable reducer. You can add a lot of it with no curing issues. I usually don't measure it. I just put a little in and mix it up until I have the viscosity I want. Every bucket of ink is a little different so a recommended % will probably not be ideal for the task at hand. Are you print flash printing?

Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 10:43:32 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printor
Union ink Co. 9000plus curable reducer. You can add a lot of it with no curing issues. I usually don't measure it. I just put a little in and mix it up until I have the viscosity I want. Every bucket of ink is a little different so a recommended % will probably not be ideal for the task at hand. Are you print flash printing?
Yes, but even on the first pass you can already see the fibrillation. Why?

Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 11:07:12 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Mike

Make sure you are using tight tension screens 20n at min or tighter we usually keep ours at 25-30n? Have your tried using a triple duro squeegee blade or a roller, we added both of those to our auto press and it really helps. Also angle and print speed is big factor when dealing with this issue.
Are you man or auto shop?

Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 11:10:03 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

usually but not always you flash white then print on top if used as an underbase or print again to make more opaque, fibrillation usually occurs if the ink isnt thick enough.

Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 11:14:15 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth59
usually but not always you flash white then print on top if used as an underbase or print again to make more opaque, fibrillation usually occurs if the ink isnt thick enough.
Really? Now I'm all confused. I thought it happens because it was to thick and it was sticking to the shirt and that's why it was lifting up the garment... Hmmmm...

I have the Maximum Plus White from Rutland.

Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 11:35:09 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

I'm feeling like maybe we are not talking about true fibrillation, but more an issue of not laying down a smooth first layer of ink before flashing. I'm use to the word "fibrillation" referring to something that happens after the fabric has been laundered. Is "Rough surface texture of the ink" a good description of your problem?

Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 11:44:25 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

ok now im confused. Are you talking the shirt is lifting off the platen as in stuck to the back of the screen? Or shirt fibers/rough surface on the white ink?

Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 12:46:09 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
I'm feeling like maybe we are not talking about true fibrillation, but more an issue of not laying down a smooth first layer of ink before flashing. I'm use to the word "fibrillation" referring to something that happens after the fabric has been laundered. Is "Rough surface texture of the ink" a good description of your problem?
No, is more of fiber from the shirt. Maybe I'm using the wrong term.

Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 12:51:16 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth59
ok now im confused. Are you talking the shirt is lifting off the platen as in stuck to the back of the screen? Or shirt fibers/rough surface on the white ink?
Yeah, the shirt stays on the platen but there's fibers on where the white ink was print, like the ink is sort of stretching it from the shirt.

Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 12:56:07 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Then you are not laying down a smooth first layer of ink. That is not what fibrillation means. I recommend posting a close up pic and describing your exact technique in order for use to make any further suggestions. What screen mesh? how are you flooding if so? blade durometer? angle? how many passes before flashing? pressure? how are you flashing? lets stop using the word "fibrillation" in this thread.

Last edited by Printor; January 10th, 2016 at 01:02 PM..

Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 1:04:47 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Then you are not laying down a smooth first layer of ink. That is not what fibrillation means. I recommend posting a close up pic and describing your exact technique in order for use to make any further suggestions. What screen mesh? how are you flooding if so? blade durometer? angle? how many passes before flashing? pressure? how are you flashing? lets stop using the word "fibrillation" in this thread.
I'm going to record a video and post it soon. Thanks for your help so far.
Printor likes this.

Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 2:31:38 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

without seeing a video or pic it sounds like your ink may be too tacky and its not breaking away from the bottom of the screen cleanly. In other words its grabbing onto the fibers and not wanting to let go as it should if the ink was reduced. But im just speculating.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kenneth59 For This Useful Post:
mos3ab (July 28th, 2018)
Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 6:03:40 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
*Click the links to see the pictures*

Please bear with us, we are starting out. Our equipment is not the latest stuff on the market. Hopefully you guys can give us some advice to improve our quality. Also, english is not my first language, so sorry for any typos.

First, Iím sorry that I called it fibrillation at first, Iím still learning the terms. Hereís a picture of what I was talking about. In this test print the results are exaggerated, mainly because it was an old t-shirt. If weíre not mistaken it was a 100% cotton t-shirt maybe Next Level brand.

I know itís white on white we were using the shirt as a print test back then. But I wanted to show you how much fiber is sticking out like crazy. Also, this was printed with our old plastisol which was Rutland, but we donít know the series exactly.

Ok, so hereís the video of the new test print we did. This test print was done on a 100% Cotton Hidensi-T Jerzees T-Shirt:

https://youtu.be/QcFiTev7190

Itís funny because it actually didnít turn out as bad as other times. I donít know if itís because is the new plastisol we bought, Maximum Plus White Ink from Rutland if Iím not mistaking. We donít remembered trying it after bought it, because after having so much trouble with white ink we just gave up on it.

In this pictures you can see up close how it turn out:

1. Hereís a bit of fiber sticking. Here's another one.

2. I passed my finger on the design an some of it came out.

3. Are this cracks a normal thing with white ink.

To answer your other questions:

1. What screen mesh?

2. How are you flooding if so?
Check video

3. Blade durometer?
70, I think.

4. Angle?
Check video, maybe you can tell me how angle it should be.

5. How many passes before flashing? Pressure?
1 Pass. Pressure, I wasnít me the one who was doing in the video, but maybe you can get an idea by watching the video.

6. How are you flashing?
We used a flash drier. We hit and then flash for around 15 second and then do second hit.

Thanks for everything!!!

Old January 10th, 2016 Jan 10, 2016 9:16:28 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Try one flood pass not three. You have way toooooo much squeegee angle for the flood pass and print pass. For the print pass, try much less angle and more pressure. In the vid. on the base print, there were spots with no ink in the fabric. don't flash until you have a complete base coat, even if it takes more passes. Using a push pass makes it harder to apply a lot of pressure if needed. I'm a puller myself. I'd try both techniques and see what works best for you. when you flash, only flash long enough so the next layer will stick. Then the next print may flatten the base a little if it is not cooked solid. Over flooding is causing your lines/edges to blur. In short, less flooding and angle, more pressure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Printor For This Useful Post:
Llanlli (January 11th, 2016)

This is a discussion about White Plastisol Ink and Fibrillation Problems that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in