White Plastisol Ink and Fibrillation Problems - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

White Plastisol Ink and Fibrillation Problems

Like Tree7Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 22nd, 2016 Mar 22, 2016 6:20:03 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: White Plastisol Ink and Fibrillation Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llanlli
I'm going to record a video and post it soon. Thanks for your help so far.
Sooo?.....how did it go?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2016 Mar 22, 2016 10:40:04 AM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Giancarlo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOneSix
Sooo?.....how did it go?
I got to record the video and took some pictures and posted them.

I've been following the advice given here and I've been able to print white on dark garments easily. One thing I did notice, is that my equipment was a bit worn out and that was a big factor on the problems I was having. I bought new screens and squeegees and the difference is huge. Printing white on dark garments is still a *****, but I'm not longer afraid of it.
FiveOneSix and Printor like this.

Old April 26th, 2016 Apr 26, 2016 10:24:58 AM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Kan

Thanks for sharing your experience. Im having difficulty with using Ryonet comet white on black garments and seeing the replies to your questions may just help. Keep printing!

Old May 24th, 2016 May 24, 2016 7:09:31 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Bob

I'm with Printor, a little more upright angle with your flood and one stroke with less ink. One your print angle you need to practice changing both angle and speed and you'll find a sweet spot that lays down a good layer and leaves a smooth print.

Old May 29th, 2016 May 29, 2016 4:55:52 PM -   #20 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tom
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Comet White and the Matsui white inks, for me, always leave the softest, smoothest prints on any shirt.
As for plastisol, I've been usine International Coatings Legacy White with just a bit of softhand clear and curable reducer to eliminate any tackiness.
Don't flash too hot, use a 156 mesh, and if you feel any roughness at all after the second print, a dry stroke over a fully-coated and exposed screen with no open stencil area to finish it off will smooth out the print (or the next print in the sequence if a multi-color job. Just make sure to squeegie over the entire design where there's white. Action Engineering is selling a roller squeegie for autos that are made to address just this issue.

Old May 30th, 2016 May 30, 2016 7:26:30 AM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpitman
Comet White and the Matsui white inks, for me, always leave the softest, smoothest prints on any shirt.
As for plastisol, I've been usine International Coatings Legacy White with just a bit of softhand clear and curable reducer to eliminate any tackiness.
Don't flash too hot, use a 156 mesh, and if you feel any roughness at all after the second print, a dry stroke over a fully-coated and exposed screen with no open stencil area to finish it off will smooth out the print (or the next print in the sequence if a multi-color job. Just make sure to squeegie over the entire design where there's white. Action Engineering is selling a roller squeegie for autos that are made to address just this issue.
Dry stroke? You mean a stroke without flooding? I'm not fully understand the method you were describing?
When I first started, I was having the same problems...grrrr! But I figured out that the ink was bad. Got new ink (different brand) and been a lot easier

Old May 30th, 2016 May 30, 2016 7:34:21 AM -   #22 (permalink)
Member-
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Hero

Premix your ink prior to printing, whip it with a spatula to work the ink. Place shirt on platen, preheat just a lil, print (2 swipes), flash, print (1 swipe). Try using Wilflex or QCM, they are great inks.

Old May 30th, 2016 May 30, 2016 8:01:01 AM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Agreed! I like Wilflex. When I mix my white to print, I put a paint mixer on my drill. Works great but be careful...you don't want a gallon of white ink get thrown across the room! Get an old food container, cut a small hole in the top that the shaft of the mixing bit will just fit through. After you mix your ink, take out the bit, put through the top of the food container, put the top back on with the bit inside and spin that bad boy on high. Then just collect the ink and put it back in the ink container
Little degrader and the bit is clean. Catspit has a video on it but I feel he's a little over cautious.
Hope that helps...sorry I over explained =p

Old May 30th, 2016 May 30, 2016 8:22:21 AM -   #24 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Yes, a dry stroke without flooding. If it's a multi-color job, the print stroke of the next color will achieve the same thing. And again, don't flash too hot or too long.

The Following User Says Thank You to tpitman For This Useful Post:
mrOscience (January 23rd, 2019)
Old May 30th, 2016 May 30, 2016 8:30:11 AM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Yes, a dry stroke without flooding. If it's a multi-color job, the print stroke of the next color will achieve the same thing. And again, don't flash too hot or too long.
I'm not following the fully coated screen part. Are you saying to have a fully Coates screen on press and use that to flatten the ink? Sorry, I'm not too bright =P

Old May 30th, 2016 May 30, 2016 10:41:24 AM -   #26 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Yes. take a coated screen, expose it without film, wash off any unexposed emulsion, let it dry, and put some ink in it to lubricate the squeegie. Put it on your press in rotation where a second color would go after the white ink. Some auto shops do this after the flash to smooth out a rough print.
FiveOneSix likes this.

Old May 31st, 2016 May 31, 2016 6:12:32 AM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Yes. take a coated screen, expose it without film, wash off any unexposed emulsion, let it dry, and put some ink in it to lubricate the squeegie. Put it on your press in rotation where a second color would go after the white ink. Some auto shops do this after the flash to smooth out a rough print.
Oh wow. That sounds like it could come in handy in a clutch. Thanks for the tip!!!

Old January 23rd, 2019 Jan 23, 2019 1:08:47 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dan

Quote:

I've been printing 30 years and never heard of that. Great stuff.
Thanks,
Dan

This is a discussion about White Plastisol Ink and Fibrillation Problems that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in