Union ink additives? - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Union ink additives?

Like Tree9Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 8th, 2015 Oct 8, 2015 8:11:26 PM -   #46 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,476 Posts

Default Re: Union ink additives?

The neon orange is exactly that bright but mine was like paste. It and the royal blue have been the only 2 thick maxopake inks for me. What mesh and squeegee are you using to be printing so many times?

I bought a gallon of athletic black and it's like tar. Red I use higher mesh especially if over a underbase.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2015 Oct 9, 2015 3:08:34 AM -   #47 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
The neon orange is exactly that bright but mine was like paste. It and the royal blue have been the only 2 thick maxopake inks for me. What mesh and squeegee are you using to be printing so many times?

I bought a gallon of athletic black and it's like tar. Red I use higher mesh especially if over a underbase.
I used a 128 for the white (which was Chromablue), 166 for yellow and red (Satti). All 3 had 1/2 (1/1 dry, then 1 more) emulsion. Used ergo handle with 60 blade for all. The red was the only one I flooded the screen for and I had to flood the first two passes and then no flood the last stroke.

I didn't use an underbase for this and it was on navy shirts.

I did try coating 1/3 with drying in between coats but I underexposed and ran out of time and had to go with what I knew would work.

Last edited by Ready2Rock; October 9th, 2015 at 06:16 AM..

Old October 9th, 2015 Oct 9, 2015 3:57:33 PM -   #48 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Jeron
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

I use everything the same as you do.... union maxopauke

Satti PHU emulsion, 156 screens, ergo force squeegees with 60 Duro. I only have to do a PFP on certain things.. A lot of the time i can get it with one hit, depending on colors.

You should be able to get your print strokes down quite a bit.

Old October 9th, 2015 Oct 9, 2015 8:36:30 PM -   #49 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeron
I use everything the same as you do.... union maxopauke

Satti PHU emulsion, 156 screens, ergo force squeegees with 60 Duro. I only have to do a PFP on certain things.. A lot of the time i can get it with one hit, depending on colors.

You should be able to get your print strokes down quite a bit.
The EZ white was the first time I only had to print flash white on a dark shirt. We usually print everything pfpfp using 200 mesh on t-shirts.

I know some are able to pull it off but I have seriously tried almost everything I can think of, from angle of squeegee, off contact, triple duro, push, pull, heavy flood, thin flood, 90 degree flood, heavy pressure first pass to drive ink into shirt to just enough to clear the screen and even tried reflooding before flash. Nothing has worked. I was shocked when I saw the 2 print white come out so good and under scope I couldn't see any fibers at all.

I haven't really played around much with the Maxopake yet but I have tried reducer and soft hand with a few of the RYO series and still never able to get good coverage with that either. The one thing I'm really hoping helps is the 3rd coat of emulsion to build that stencil a bit more.

What tension and mesh brand are you using?

Old October 9th, 2015 Oct 9, 2015 10:20:21 PM -   #50 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I use all Newman mesh and from the looks of your mesh you do also. I run everything about 40-50n. I used the the triple 70/90/70 and it was a great improvement from the standard 70. If your using the ergo handles the harder blades actually hurt your print. I started using the the 64A and they work great for most colors. unless I have a thick stencil still cant get the 1 hit white. But honestly I prefer to use 166 2/1 for most white and PFP. Better opacity use less ink and better end result IMO.

When I had my auto going I could only get a good white with a 55/90/55 blade. I only had 1 and couldn't find it I just ordered a roll of 60/90/60. be here Monday. The softer the blade the more the ink deposited. Find the shearing sweet spot and you'll be amazed how much ink is deposited. I still am. The closer to 90 degrees the more ink deposited. I have 2 or so more weeks of heavy printing and then doing a few videos. I will have some Saati Chem PHU also Monday. I thought Id try the chromalime since its suppose to be for LED. I don't like it. I cant get much of a stencil build without dripping starting to occurring.

Old October 10th, 2015 Oct 10, 2015 11:57:27 AM -   #51 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

how much does an emulsion for LED really matter?? just faster burn times?? Your PHU times are still really low aren't they??

Old October 10th, 2015 Oct 10, 2015 1:20:13 PM -   #52 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeron
how much does an emulsion for LED really matter?? just faster burn times?? Your PHU times are still really low aren't they??
Here is how its marketed. The green stops the light scatter as all commercially available LED units are multipoint to say the least, Some having upwards 2000 LEDs. So I cant speak how that works. I know when the Ulano Orange came out and was marketed as such for Black light units it did cut down on the undercutting due to light scatter.

I put my desktop PC together month or 2 ago. Ever since then my printers been printing light, and the a host of other issues, running low on emulsion I looked at the best option I could find at One Stop since that's all I really needed besides shirts. at $95-$100 a gallon not really worth it to me. but I have gotten more screens then the PHU but stencil thickness has suffered.

Its not any faster in fact the idea is you can expose a little longer. It did help when I was having the printer issues. Now that I have the best films I've ever been able to produce. Just for kicks I doubled the 10 sec exposure. still washed out with ease but the edges suffered slightly. With a little higher pressure they might have been just fine but I used a flood rinse to wash out the screen. Hopefully tonight Ill make a new video of exposure to developing. Ill throw a stoffer strip on the screen

Old October 10th, 2015 Oct 10, 2015 2:31:37 PM -   #53 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Hey bud, where can I find your videos?

Old October 10th, 2015 Oct 10, 2015 6:11:24 PM -   #54 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

YouTube user sben7633 the public LED videos there where 20 secs is the norm since I have changed the bulb to double the wattage and had the LED die built.

Anyone have a 1 color hi res image with a wide range of halftones 1%-99% that can use for the test. can be vector or raster. I am going to try and do this yet tonight

Old November 21st, 2015 Nov 21, 2015 4:49:06 PM -   #55 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Robyn

Hi. I wanted to know the difference between the two types of inks you guys are referring to, max opaque and ultra soft. I recently took over a shop and there are both of these types of inks here. Does one work better on dark shirts than light shirts. Does one print better on 100% cotton vs 50/50?

I also have the soft hand base and I've been using it to thin out colors like white and gold (metallic) and it does not change the color of the ink or intensity. It just makes it more runny and easier to push through the screen.

Old November 21st, 2015 Nov 21, 2015 5:50:34 PM -   #56 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsbriggles
Hi. I wanted to know the difference between the two types of inks you guys are referring to, max opaque and ultra soft. I recently took over a shop and there are both of these types of inks here. Does one work better on dark shirts than light shirts. Does one print better on 100% cotton vs 50/50?

I also have the soft hand base and I've been using it to thin out colors like white and gold (metallic) and it does not change the color of the ink or intensity. It just makes it more runny and easier to push through the screen.
your best bet is to read the materials on the Union ink website, it will say fabric and mesh recommendations for all their inks. Maxopake are designed for dark cotton and are okay on 50/50.

Old November 22nd, 2015 Nov 22, 2015 10:59:38 AM -   #57 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsbriggles

Maxopaque is designed to be printed directly on dark garments without an under base. Ultrasoft is a general purpose ink designed to be printed on light colored garments, or on dark garments over a white under base. The Maxopaque says it has low bleed characteristics so you can use it on some poly garments including 50/50

This is a discussion about Union ink additives? that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in