White Ink not clearing - Baffled! - Page 7 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

White Ink not clearing - Baffled!

Like Tree7Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 3rd, 2015 Sep 3, 2015 11:02:52 AM -   #91 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Dave
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: White Ink not clearing - Baffled!

Tried less complicated and smaller dims, still have problems.
I'm using 70/90/70 here.
110 doesn't quite hold the design.

Last edited by Stella Dave; September 3rd, 2015 at 12:10 PM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 6th, 2015 Sep 6, 2015 11:04:04 AM -   #92 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Jay
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printor
Did you ever verify that your shirt board is not flexing downward under pressure? I Prefer white mesh whenever available in the lower #s. I think I could achieve that image on a 110.
You really should be able to achieve that image on a 110. Maybe we should go back to the beginning and evaluate your film and screen department. What are you printing your film with? what emulsion? What are you using for an exposure unit?

Last edited by Printor; September 6th, 2015 at 11:32 AM..

Old September 6th, 2015 Sep 6, 2015 12:36:23 PM -   #93 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Good quality inkjet film, printed on Epson 1500W with good quality ink.
Exposure done with 2 x 500w security lamps, takes around 12-14 mins depending on mesh. Amex Dual Emulsion

Old September 6th, 2015 Sep 6, 2015 1:32:23 PM -   #94 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

When you say image wouldn't hold on a 110, do you mean its falling apart when your rinsing it out (like under exposure, or image is not rinsing out( like over exposure) Do you still have the glass covers on those work lights? that glass has a ton of UV blocking led in it. Seems like you should need far less time with 2 500s. also, Did you ever verify that your shirt board is not flexing downward under pressure? I really feel like I could clear that screen on a solid press.

Old September 7th, 2015 Sep 7, 2015 4:35:34 AM -   #95 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Pretty sure it's not exposure as I did tests using calculator as this was a new emulsion. 110 doesn't hold the finer lines etc on wash out and the remaining finer parts fall away after numerous prints. The Less detailed parts hold fine.
Glass covers removed.
I doubt the board is flexing as it is 18mm laminated furniture board and the pressure isn't enough to flex it. The centre of board is solid, attached to lengths of wood underneath.
I know what you mean, this has me completely baffled and is making me look like a real noob! Lol

Old September 19th, 2015 Sep 19, 2015 1:31:59 AM -   #96 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Tried top quality ink, Best of Brands (Rutland, Union etc.) NPT Cotton White, nice ink but problem remains. Ink is meant to work through fine mesh but I found it hard to work with so added around 10% reducer.
Here's a pic of print, you can see the sort of oval section I refer to in previous posts in centre. Surrounding areas are fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150917_163903081.jpg (2.78 MB, 46 views)

Old October 4th, 2015 Oct 4, 2015 5:17:47 AM -   #97 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Dave
Tried top quality ink, Best of Brands (Rutland, Union etc.) NPT Cotton White, nice ink but problem remains. Ink is meant to work through fine mesh but I found it hard to work with so added around 10% reducer.
Here's a pic of print, you can see the sort of oval section I refer to in previous posts in centre. Surrounding areas are fine.
Of contact too low?
I haven't re-read the entire post so sorry if that has already been eliminated.

The mesh acts as a trampoline - when the squeegee has passed the tension in the mesh should cause it to 'snap off' cleanly from the image. It looks like your mesh is pulling away too slowly, taking some ink with it.
Higher off contact will raise the tension.

Could be made worse by an overly wide squeegee/image for the screen being used. By going too close to the edges you are negating the tension from the side of the screen. Until the squeegee has been completely removed from screen, the width of the squeegee is pinning the mesh to the platen. In effect the only tension that is pulling the mesh from the image is from one end of the screen, not from the sides as well.

The rest of the image looks good enough to sell.

The Following User Says Thank You to PatWibble For This Useful Post:
Stella Dave (October 4th, 2015)
Old October 4th, 2015 Oct 4, 2015 1:10:38 PM -   #98 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I've tried up to 1/8", didn't want to go higher than that. I'm still convinced the problem lies in flood stage as there is the same shape of a well of ink not properly filling the screen.
I think you were probably right about the screen needing to be bigger but I just can't go that route right now with the extra equipment needed. I increased the exposure on the 43T and it's came out really good so will use that for time being.

Old October 5th, 2015 Oct 5, 2015 7:15:18 PM -   #99 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Dave
I'm still convinced the problem lies in ...
With all due respect. You're probably wrong.

When fighting a problem like this, the thing(s) you firmly believe to be true is the first place to look for the problem.

Obviously something you believe to be true is false. (or you would not be having the problem, right?) Start with the one you're most confident in.

That's not just in screen printing neither.

Old October 5th, 2015 Oct 5, 2015 10:21:17 PM -   #100 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

HULK SMASH!

Old October 6th, 2015 Oct 6, 2015 1:54:38 AM -   #101 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyjunkie
With all due respect. You're probably wrong.

When fighting a problem like this, the thing(s) you firmly believe to be true is the first place to look for the problem.

Obviously something you believe to be true is false. (or you would not be having the problem, right?) Start with the one you're most confident in.

That's not just in screen printing neither.
I know what you mean but surely if I'm left with an oval of ink not filling the stencil then an oval not printing that means something...??
I know I'm now zoned in on that now being the problem but I've tried every other suggestion/avenue, I've not dismissed anything.

This is a discussion about White Ink not clearing - Baffled! that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in