Tips on printing metallic gold and silver on black shirt - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Tips on printing metallic gold and silver on black shirt

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By debbbbsy
  • 1 Post By ScreenFoo

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 2nd, 2014 Oct 2, 2014 6:16:01 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: kenny
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Tips on printing metallic gold and silver on black shirt

Hi everyone, i'm getting ready print gold and silver plastisol on black tshirts, anyone like to share any issues or give me any tips (such as do i need underbase white, curing tips...etc) any feedback is super appreciated!!!! thanks very kindly everyone

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2014 Oct 2, 2014 6:28:25 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: PixelPimp
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default Re: Tips on printing metallic gold and silver on black shirt

for a very shiny metallic print you will want a strong under base. Without an underbase the metallic inks look dull, example the silver metallic from UnionInk will look more like a dull gun metal.

for curing, you need to fallow the spec sheet that came with the ink or visit the manufacturers website for info.

Old October 2nd, 2014 Oct 2, 2014 12:11:36 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Debbie

You don't need an underbase white, it really really depends on the manufacturer, it varies so much.

You can print flash print. This is your best option especially on shorter runs, don't waste your time setting up 2 screens and than registering the base to the ink.

If using a silver with a sparkle/glitter content use a course mesh.

Do your research...it is purely down to the ink, you want an opaque silver with a sparkle and an opaque pale gold that shines.

They will cure at the same temperature as normal plastisol inks.

Best to request from ink suppliers a colour chart.
garagegirl likes this.

Old October 3rd, 2014 Oct 3, 2014 8:19:32 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tyson
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

You can PFP a metallic, but you are often using down to 86-60 thread per inch mesh, which is very coarse, and uses a lot of ink. If you have large runs or poly garments prone to bleeding, two screens and underbasing makes sense, for a short run on cotton, not so much.

Printing is cake, provided you have good equipment.

Although metallics do cure at the same temp range as other plastisols, IR heat will be reflected to some degree, so slowing your belt and increasing dwell time is usually a good idea, if you don't have a gas/forced air dryer.
TYGERON likes this.

Old October 3rd, 2014 Oct 3, 2014 1:20:35 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I have printed with union rich gold metallic a few times. Once being a 1000 shirt run. Best advice I can give is use use curable reducer, stir like crazy (I used a drill) for mixing. The thinner the better.

Old October 4th, 2014 Oct 4, 2014 4:30:33 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreenFoo
IR heat will be reflected to some degree, so slowing your belt and increasing dwell time is usually a good idea, if you don't have a gas/forced air dryer.
What up, Foo??

And if you're doing 100%, tends to have a higher moisture content so cure temp measuring is critical.

Over curing can be as much of a problem as undercuring. If you don't have a donut probe 9the ideal measuring device) crock test, stretch and wash test to be more sure.

Old October 27th, 2014 Oct 27, 2014 7:59:04 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: kenny

hey guys thanks for thanks again for all your responses/advice. I printed the job silver and gold on black tees. ...The gold was tricky but got the job done, did wash and stetches went good, the silver on the other hand I had to throw in the towell. Couldnt get a good even print. I was using 110 mesh tryed ever possible off contact adjustment, squeegee angle,PFP.. it just sucked every single test print. I was kinda ok with a few so I put it threw the was. All the metallic glidder look washed out. I was left with a battle ship gray color. So I even though I've been screen print off/on for many years every print job always has a its an issues i dont think I will every agree to do silver again. Such a headache

Old October 27th, 2014 Oct 27, 2014 8:08:17 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Andy
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

The One Stroke 180 series metallic gold and silver is really easy to print. I've even used it through a 180 mesh. Very opaque on dark tees with no underbase and VERY soft after it's cured.

You might want to call them and ask for a couple samples for future reference.

Old October 27th, 2014 Oct 27, 2014 12:46:51 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Debbie

With gold and silver they vary so much from manufacturers.

Don't give up, contact various suppliers and ask for sample pots.

debbie xx

Old October 27th, 2014 Oct 27, 2014 12:53:42 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brian

Are you doing glitter, shimmer or metallic. All print differently and determine the mesh count which will make or break the imprint. The silver sounds like you used too high of a mesh count.

Old October 27th, 2014 Oct 27, 2014 2:24:17 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: amy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We do NOT underbase metal inks. In fact, imo, it looks better if you don't. We definitely hit flash hit though. I always stress to people that metal is not glitter. If they know what NOT to expect at the outset, there's no disappointment.

With that said, we had to set up and print one shirt today because apparently it went through the dryer before it was hot enough to cure the ink. None of the other 100+ did it, but that one washed away after laundering. Good luck.

Old October 27th, 2014 Oct 27, 2014 9:43:46 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagegirl
We do NOT underbase metal inks. In fact, imo, it looks better if you don't. We definitely hit flash hit though. I always stress to people that metal is not glitter. If they know what NOT to expect at the outset, there's no disappointment.

With that said, we had to set up and print one shirt today because apparently it went through the dryer before it was hot enough to cure the ink. None of the other 100+ did it, but that one washed away after laundering. Good luck.

I've heard recommendations that a clear gel be printed on top of a metallic ink to prevent the metallic ink from degrading or turning dark from washing/drying. Is this true?

This is a discussion about Tips on printing metallic gold and silver on black shirt that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in