Blowouts and Emulsion Pealing - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Blowouts and Emulsion Pealing

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 13th, 2014 Apr 13, 2014 2:46:38 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Kevin
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Angry Blowouts and Emulsion Pealing

Hello guys,

I had a major issue this morning. Bear in mind I'm pretty new to doing this on my own.

I'm using Image Mate PC701 fast exposing emulsion and a 230 mesh screen. I use a light table that I removed the plexiglass film and fitted with 3 black light tubes. I successfully burned one design a few nights ago (cooked for about 2 minutes) and it washed out fine.

I don't have a "dark room" yet, so what I do is coat my screen(s) in my garage under a bug light at night. I then let them dry in complete dark and come back later the same night and burn it. Two nights ago I started coating pretty late and was getting tired. Instead of staying up to burn the screen after it dried, I put the screen on some blocks, print side down, inside of a cardboard box and taped it closed.

This morning I pulled the screen out of the box and set it to burn the stencil, using the previously established 2 minutes. I was burning some highly detailed (small print) neck tags with a 230 mesh screen.

When I went to lift the screen off the light table, I noticed the stencil film was stuck to the screen. I had large areas of the text and design wash out. In addition, the screen felt tacky and I was literally able to peal the emulsion away like skin after a sun burn.

What do you think my issue was? Is it possible the emulsion hadn't tried over a 24+ hour period because it was insulated in the box? Or maybe the stencil hadn't dried yet? I doubt burning longer would have helped as that would have just made me rinse longer and cause more blowouts. Any clue?

Thanks!
Kevin

Last edited by lazerstruck; April 13th, 2014 at 02:59 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2014 Apr 13, 2014 5:25:15 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Default Re: Blowouts and Emulsion Pealing

It sounds like it wasn't completely dry. Is it humid in your garage?

The Following User Says Thank You to outbreak For This Useful Post:
lazerstruck (April 13th, 2014)
Old April 13th, 2014 Apr 13, 2014 7:26:19 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,472 Posts

Definitely a humidity issue. Screens should be at 40% or lower Humidity during drying, storage and exposure. If you store in a non controlled humidity environment you need to lower humidity at least 2-4 hrs before exposure. Also I recommend a few more bulbs to your exposure unit. As you start to do more detail you will suffer undercutting before proper exposure.

The Following User Says Thank You to sben763 For This Useful Post:

Old April 13th, 2014 Apr 13, 2014 9:11:44 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
It sounds like it wasn't completely dry. Is it humid in your garage?
I'm sure it was humid. I'm in Oklahoma and it gets very humid here this time of year. I'm sure being wet and insulated inside of a hot box didn't help either.

Would a fan help with the drying in lieu of me buying a dehumidifier? I've already spent a couple thousand dollars on my setup and have yet to see a dime back. I do plan on buying one, just not right this moment.

Old April 13th, 2014 Apr 13, 2014 9:23:21 AM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can try but not having your screens at a set humidity level will change your exposure times. You definitely need air flow even with a dehumidifier.

Old April 13th, 2014 Apr 13, 2014 9:30:39 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
You can try but not having your screens at a set humidity level will change your exposure times. You definitely need air flow even with a dehumidifier.
Yeah... The more I read about this issue, it sounds like a fan alone will just move air around (along with dust), but does nothing for the humidity issue. Looks like I'm making another essential purchase.

Thanks guys!

Old April 13th, 2014 Apr 13, 2014 3:49:54 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

That will do it! I live in NW Florida about 2 miles from the beach and always stick my screens in a bathroom with a dehumidifier before I expose them.

The Following User Says Thank You to outbreak For This Useful Post:
lazerstruck (April 14th, 2014)
Old April 14th, 2014 Apr 14, 2014 12:19:46 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
That will do it! I live in NW Florida about 2 miles from the beach and always stick my screens in a bathroom with a dehumidifier before I expose them.
We had some storms blow by tonight. That pushed out the humidity and brought in dry, cold air. I coated a new screen and this time set up a regular box fan a few feet away from the drying rack. Dried solid in about 3 hours. Burned it and the text/artwork came out beautifully.

Thanks a TON guys - Awesome advice.
outbreak likes this.

Old April 24th, 2014 Apr 24, 2014 3:23:32 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

this is why professional units have a vacuum running,among other reasons..

Old May 5th, 2014 May 5, 2014 8:28:53 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Virgil

Looks to me like you didn't get the screens dry and/or have a very bad humidity problem. Not only does damp emulsion not stick to the fabric but it also increases the the exposure time dramatically. I built a dryer cabinet out of plywood. Yeh I know plywood burns. it was set up for the screens to lay horizontal with only the edges of the screens touching the rack. I then put a hole in the side large enough for a small portable heater to blow air in. Heater has a built in thermostat so it doesn't get to hot. The box is light tight so I can also store my screens in it. the gentle air movement with a little heat dry the screens fairly quickly. The box holds 12 screens. I have used it for about 15 years with no problems. I never leave it on unless I'm close by. I have considered making one out of metal but haven't got to it.
lazerstruck likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Virgram For This Useful Post:
lazerstruck (May 6th, 2014)
Old May 6th, 2014 May 6, 2014 1:11:47 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgram
Looks to me like you didn't get the screens dry and/or have a very bad humidity problem. Not only does damp emulsion not stick to the fabric but it also increases the the exposure time dramatically. I built a dryer cabinet out of plywood. Yeh I know plywood burns. it was set up for the screens to lay horizontal with only the edges of the screens touching the rack. I then put a hole in the side large enough for a small portable heater to blow air in. Heater has a built in thermostat so it doesn't get to hot. The box is light tight so I can also store my screens in it. the gentle air movement with a little heat dry the screens fairly quickly. The box holds 12 screens. I have used it for about 15 years with no problems. I never leave it on unless I'm close by. I have considered making one out of metal but haven't got to it.
I've since built a dark/drying box myself. I basically did the same thing you did with my dry box. Built it out of 2x4's, 1x2's, and plywood. Put in a screened opening near the bottom with a fan on the inside to pull in air, and a light-proof opening near the upper-rear to push air out. Sealed all the edges with caulk. Finished the door off with a foam border to ensure the light stays out. Works really well.

I've burned several screens successfully now. Just did a 200 shirt run with a 3-color design and didn't have a single problem until I went to clean up the screen for archiving. My screen wash basically smeared the left over ink (after carding) to the emulsion, then started loosening up areas of the stencil. Ended up reclaiming the screens.

I'm wondering if my issue is that I diluted my screen wash 50/50 with water. No clue... I'm planning on just archiving my screens in trash bags until I get my shipment of Citra Paste. I'll give that a try - says it specifically won't mess with emulsion.

Old May 6th, 2014 May 6, 2014 3:34:14 AM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Screen wash/ press wash typically is applied with no water. Citra paste on the other hand is used with water.

If you tried to used water with screen wash 147 it would just smear. If your going to try and catalog screens you need to post expose( just put out in sun ). But also work fast as water is a enemy of emulsion.

lazerstruck (May 6th, 2014)
Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 9:53:45 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Does the amount of time spent under the burn light have anything to do with blowout?

Old April 12th, 2019 Apr 12, 2019 9:34:44 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Does sound like it wasnt dry. An air conditioner will help remove moisture and let it set over night. You can make a cheap rack like a small cabinet to dry them in and stay dark as well

Old April 24th, 2019 Apr 24, 2019 5:40:17 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Brilliant idea! I am having the same issues. My warehouse is very large and running the AC day and night would rune me like $1200 a month. Creating an enclosed area w a dehumidifier would solve the issue. Thanks!
Ricks2524 likes this.

This is a discussion about Blowouts and Emulsion Pealing that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in