how to prevent this? Fibers coming through on one side but smooth on the other - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

how to prevent this? Fibers coming through on one side but smooth on the other

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 10:16:37 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Kendra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default how to prevent this? Fibers coming through on one side but smooth on the other

uploadfromtaptalk1387048375106.jpg
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here but I can't figure it out. If contact is even at 1/8th. It doesn't happen with every shirt but with a lot of them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. startex low bleed white ink on 100% cotton District Made Very Important Tee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 10:18:05 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Roy

Default Re: how to prevent this? Fibers coming through on one side but smooth on the other

Is the on an auto press or manual? First thought is that the screen may not be entirely shot out...or really some sort of partial blockage in that area of the screen, like from an old image/print. It could be that the screen isn't peeling off correctly, releasing all the ink. From low screen tension, or if it's an auto, the flood/stroke may need to slow down a bit or the stroke length may need to be a little longer. just some thoughts...???

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 10:21:12 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: how to prevent this? Fibers coming through on one side but smooth on the other

It's a manual press.

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 10:24:25 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Well, it's not happening on every shirt. I'm getting a few totally smooth ones. I've changed up the angle and pressure I'm pushing the squeegee but can't find what works

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 10:24:54 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenink
It's a manual press.
Ok, what mesh count? Also, is your squegee it good shape?

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 10:26:53 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

125 mesh count. Fairly new screen

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 10:29:05 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I'm honestly not a good judge of "good shape" for the squeegee. That may be part of the problem but I did turn it and that didn't really help

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 10:39:39 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

hmmm, yes it could be a squeegee issue. If you have some blank tees that you can practice on. Try fooding it a little harder and slower. It's not the most ideal solution, but if you're really in a bind and have a heat press you could always try pressing the shirts before hand too. Speaking of heat presses, on these one color jobs...every once in a while the first couple shirts may have some fibrilation until the ink really starts flowing through the screen, we normally would heat press those. You definitely want to find out the problem so next time you know right away so I don't mean to tell you to simply mask it. Try the flooding and get back to us.

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 10:41:19 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

thank you. I will try different flooding.

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 10:46:17 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Jim
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I found that when I get shirts that do that if I push down the fibers in one direction (usally) down it helps . Are you PFP or are your trying to do it in one pass.
If you do a PNP (Print Flash Print) only put enough ink down on the first pass to seal down the fibers.

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 10:51:09 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I am doing PFP. But it's only happening on one side and its the same side every time.

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 12:17:24 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Jim
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

have you tried a lint roller? Have you tried a different shirt? I have had this happen with port and co shirts, but not just 1/2 the shirt .
How is the tension on the screen? Really looks like a fiber in the shirt though.

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 1:23:35 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Matt

You need to slow down on the very first stroke and allow the ink to get down into the fibers. You must have good even pressure. You might also consider thinning your ink just a little bit.

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 2:50:56 PM -   #14 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Sounds like uneven pressure/off contact from side to side. And if it's only happening on some shirts, the off contact and parallel-ness may not be consistent from platen to platen.
Calibrating your press is an often overlooked element in the printing process. It's important for the screen to be parallel to the platen in all directions and on all platens.
Higher tension, squeegee hardness, print stroke speed and pressure and angle, ink consistency and type, off contact all are critical aspects.
And even though you may print-flash-print, care should be taken to not drive the in into the fibers as much as the ink laying on top. Of course it depends on the type of fabric. Do a couple searches for calibrating manual presses and check Bill Hood's "One stroke white" videos on Youtube. There are also some good articles on various aspects of printing white inks which seem to give folk so many unnecessary problems.

Last edited by TYGERON; December 14th, 2013 at 06:29 PM..

Old December 14th, 2013 Dec 14, 2013 4:29:26 PM -   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: Bob

Are you sure the 1st print is completely flashed? Maybe the pallet isn't lined up completely under the flash dryer so only half is flashed and the wet part is pulling up the fibers on half.

This is a discussion about how to prevent this? Fibers coming through on one side but smooth on the other that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in