Screening Hoodies - Tips? - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Screening Hoodies - Tips?

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 27th, 2013 Nov 27, 2013 6:45:37 PM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Scott
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Screening Hoodies - Tips?

Here it is. Its not the smoothest, but Im still figuring all that out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2013 Nov 27, 2013 7:29:01 PM -   #32 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,476 Posts

That's actually really good for hoodies and a single screen. The only thing I can see is at the bottom there a slight ghosting like but most done notice it at all. This is controlled by angle and pressure. If you get that under control you will have no issues with a push when top coating with colors. I had the same issue but then again I am my worst critic.

Old November 27th, 2013 Nov 27, 2013 7:33:28 PM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
That's actually really good for hoodies and a single screen. The only thing I can see is at the bottom there a slight ghosting like but most done notice it at all. This is controlled by angle and pressure. If you get that under control you will have no issues with a push when top coating with colors. I had the same issue but then again I am my worst critic.
Yeah, I see that too. Hm...so just change the pressure and angle to get rid of that? More aggressive angle? More or less pressure?

Old November 27th, 2013 Nov 27, 2013 8:07:56 PM -   #34 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,476 Posts

Usually less pressure and hitting the the sharp edge of the squeegee. You want to cut the ink off the screen and not smash it at the same time.

1 thing I do was I only ever put 1 coat of emulsion on the ink side with heavy pressure so that is super thin on the ink side. A too heavy of coat on the ink side can also cause this and might be the case as the rest of the print looks really nice. A indication of this maybe if when reclaiming it takes any effort. I can wash out screens 15-30 sec after putting on emulsion remover with a hose although I use a pressure washer for speed.

Old November 27th, 2013 Nov 27, 2013 11:22:38 PM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Andy
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

I think they look good. You do have a bit of ghosting, but you'll figure it all out man. It's a whole lot of finding what works best for you.

I'm no expert, I learn every day - that is the beauty of this thing. But if I could give any advice, it would be that while time is money, take your time and get your stuff up to YOUR expectations. After that you will get faster. I'm a very methodical printer, I don't do any print jobs though, I learned real quick I wasn't made for that. 20 months ago, I was curing with a flash dryer and it would take me like all day to do a dozen shirts!

I see you have your own site and designs, how is that going for you? That's what I do, it can be a tough gig, but can be very rewarding, gotta paint yourself into a corner at times and roll the dice though. I'm assuming this hoodie run is for a client?

Old November 28th, 2013 Nov 28, 2013 8:11:57 AM -   #36 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopharry
I think they look good. You do have a bit of ghosting, but you'll figure it all out man. It's a whole lot of finding what works best for you.

I'm no expert, I learn every day - that is the beauty of this thing. But if I could give any advice, it would be that while time is money, take your time and get your stuff up to YOUR expectations. After that you will get faster. I'm a very methodical printer, I don't do any print jobs though, I learned real quick I wasn't made for that. 20 months ago, I was curing with a flash dryer and it would take me like all day to do a dozen shirts!

I see you have your own site and designs, how is that going for you? That's what I do, it can be a tough gig, but can be very rewarding, gotta paint yourself into a corner at times and roll the dice though. I'm assuming this hoodie run is for a client?
It is, yeah. 117 in all. Fairly easy job and made me a few bucks. I do have my own designs and site, yes. It's going okay. It's hard to afford advertising when you're just starting out. The idea was my brother's and I. He created the initial graphics and logos. He committed suicide two years ago and I decided to continue on with it in his honor. It's a struggle at times, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to ClutchInc For This Useful Post:
porkchopharry (November 28th, 2013)
Old November 28th, 2013 Nov 28, 2013 9:31:05 AM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Andy
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Sorry to hear about your brother man. That has got to be tough.

It sounds to me like you are on the right track and most importantly you care about what you are doing. Stick to it, you will find your way. Sounds like you already have actually.

I'm still relatively new to this myself about 2 years in, but I've been lucky so far. Well, that and a WHOLE lot of hard work too. But I was lucky enough to post a couple shirt ideas on Facebook to friends when I had a one color table top press and saw the response and potential when they started buying them. Next thing I knew I was having a Vastex delivered in my driveway and it went from there. Then, I got in with Inked Magazine's Inked Shop and that combined with my growing customer base, which is really loyal, has really helped me a lot. I actually turn away retail deals now. Not because I think I am some big, bad ***. I'm not, I know that. But because I'm real careful about taking on too much, too fast.

In the beginning about 20 months ago or so...I had shirts with prints that were like Kevlar. LOL, but true. But people still loved them. Then I started doing hoodies, and that was a whole new learning process. But over time I started figuring it all out. Then there are days, when I feel like I know nothing.

Hey hoodies are tough, but try an Extra Small dog hoodie where you have 1 1/2 inch of space height-wise to fit the print! That's something I just started doing and a real learning process!

I've never spent anything on advertising either really, other than free stickers and post cards I throw in every order. I've been lucky enough to do what I want to do and slowly start connecting with like minded people.

It can be hard juggling every thing.

I don't frequent the forums much. Seems like a lot of people that were here a year or so ago are gone. But I have gained some good knowledge. Like Sean saying he only coats the ink side once. I never considered that. I come here sometimes to kind of free my mind. And offer whatever little bit of knowledge I have learned.

Too bad you're in Reno, be cool to meet up. If you ever want to talk shop, PM me and send me your number. I've talked to a few guys on here who have asked me about everything from my dryer and press, to getting their business back on track.

This is a discussion about Screening Hoodies - Tips? that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in