Screen printing 2 colors not sharp - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Screen printing 2 colors not sharp

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 3:40:32 PM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Stephanie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Screen printing 2 colors not sharp

Oh good grief...now I don't see the pics. Let me retry that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 3:41:31 PM -   #32 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Richie Rich
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Go to advanced and give them time to upload before you shut the picture selection popup window

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 3:49:31 PM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsparker
oh good grief...now i don't see the pics. Let me retry that.
photo 4.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 3:50:14 PM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Attachment 53585

Attachment 53593

Attachment 53601

Attachment 53609
Ok, they are not upside down when I upload them. UGH!

I tried to upload them again and it turned them upside down again. They are right-side up on my computer so I have no idea what the deal is.

Last edited by bnsparker; November 17th, 2013 at 03:56 PM..

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 4:02:40 PM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Jim
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

maybe this will help

The red arrows are your off contact and the yellow ones are for your registratiom gate, if its too tight in the gate you will have problems getting it to sit level. there is also a stop to basicaly keep you from putting your platen through your screen. When your arm is down it should sit on the stop and be able to have 1/16 to 1/8 off contact , it should be even .

That press is not too much different from the silver press found at Ryonet. only thing you don't have is tilt adjustment.
Try this link to see how to adjust your press.
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC1Ad4Jc0MY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC1Ad4Jc0MY
Hope this helps.

Last edited by jimcr; November 17th, 2013 at 04:13 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to jimcr For This Useful Post:
bnsparker (November 17th, 2013)
Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 4:06:07 PM -   #36 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

if you adjust your platen to be even with the top of your screen , and add a washer to it to keep it slightly higher it may bring you in the ballpark. but look at the video also.

The Following User Says Thank You to jimcr For This Useful Post:
Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 4:14:10 PM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcr
maybe this will help

The red arrows are your off contact and the yellow ones are for your registratiom gate, if its too tight in the gate you will have problems getting it to sit level. there is also a stop to basicaly keep you from putting your platen through your screen. When your arm is down it should sit on the stop and be able to have 1/16 to 1/8 off contact , it should be even .

That press is not too much different from the silver press found at Ryonet. only thing you don't have is tilt adjustment.
Try this link to see how to adjust your press.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqXeNhxKN4s
Hope this helps.
The registration gate is snug, but the arm will go down easily (when the screen is out). With the screen in it doesn't fit all the way down and doesn't rest on the screw underneath (that keeps the platen from going through the screen), but that's because it's not level. I'm going to mess with it some more. There's no way to lower the platen, but that's the only thing that I can figure would make it level. The reason I raised the middle section is because when it was level, the bottom of the bracket was still lower than the platen (even with the off contact bolts all the way to the bottom).

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 4:22:41 PM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
The registration gate is snug, but the arm will go down easily (when the screen is out). With the screen in it doesn't fit all the way down and doesn't rest on the screw underneath (that keeps the platen from going through the screen), but that's because it's not level. I'm going to mess with it some more. There's no way to lower the platen, but that's the only thing that I can figure would make it level. The reason I raised the middle section is because when it was level, the bottom of the bracket was still lower than the platen (even with the off contact bolts all the way to the bottom).

try the youtube link first , you may be able to look up and find more info on your press what I found was the first result and it said in teh description that it did have adjustable tilt just didn't show where.
but your press is very similar to the silver press.

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 8:24:32 PM -   #39 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
try the youtube link first , you may be able to look up and find more info on your press what I found was the first result and it said in teh description that it did have adjustable tilt just didn't show where.
but your press is very similar to the silver press.
I watched the video and then watched his video where he actually started from scratch straight out of the box--both were great. I went back to my press and removed a big washer that was between the base and the swivel piece that holds the print arms. On the silver press he mentioned that there was no washer needed so I thought maybe that could have caused some of my leveling troubles. Then I tried setting it up like he did. I will say that I wish I would've bought the silver press over mine because it has several features that I think would make things easier. The gas shocks would be a big help. Mine has springs to tighten but if they are tight enough to keep the arm up with the ink and squeegee on it, the print arm won't stay down flat. If you loosen them so the arm will stay down flat, you have your screen come crashing down occasionally and the ink and squeegee make a huge mess and go everywhere. The best thing about the silver over mine is definitely the adjustable tilt. That would fix my off contact issues. I ended up doing like the previous posts and his video said and put a something thin but sturdy under the screen while I adjusted my off contact bolts. Without the screen it looked awesome. When I tightened the screen the inside end of the screen came way up again like it was previously. The whole print arm even comes up when I tighten the screen. I tried all four (new screens) and they all did it. I even tried all four print arms thinking maybe something was wrong with the first one. I ended up just adjusting the off contact correctly on the inside end and taping double quarters in several places on the opposite end. Since my platen that came with my press is 16X16 square and the screens that came with my press are 20X24, the platen isn't in contact with any if the screen frame (only the mesh). If there would've been platen to frame contact, I could've only used 1 quarter instead of 2 stacked I think. Anyway the tilt feature would've fixed all of this I believe according to the Ryonet videos. The other good thing about the silver over mine is the silver has a bar across where you tighten the screens in. Mine has nuts welded on the end of screws and a couple of them don't look completely flat which might be causing small problems as well. I definitely wish I would've known about the silver press before I bought the one I did, especially knowing now about the lack of instruction for assembly and usage with my press. I hope to actually try to print again tomorrow and maybe I won't waste a lot of ink and shirts this time.
Thank you so much for your help!!!

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 8:29:47 PM -   #40 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
if you adjust your platen to be even with the top of your screen , and add a washer to it to keep it slightly higher it may bring you in the ballpark. but look at the video also.
I should've also noted that I couldn't adjust my platen to come into contact with my frame because my design is burned in the middle of the screen and I have too much blank space at the top and bottom of my screen. I should either buy a larger platen or start burning the screens closer to one end.
Thanks so much for all your help!

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 9:13:12 PM -   #41 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

my centre chest prints and back shoulder prints are burned about 3.5 inches from the top of the frame. When I load my shirt on, I use the neckline as a reference and that adds about another 1/2 inch on the front and 1 to 1.5 on the back.

I have to do this because if I want to bring my platens closer to the centre of the press, they prevent the screen from coming down, because the lower screen clamp section of the press hits the top of the platen.

As much as I would love to use the sweet spot of the screen, this is not possible with my load and print technique.

My prints are still way smoother and opaque than the competition on Autos, though, (I'm obviously on a manual frmo my photo), so I've nothing to worry about! Quite the opposite actually - total domination when I finally can afford that auto, monster conveyor oven and some ventilation!

The Following User Says Thank You to 20vK For This Useful Post:
Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 9:16:04 PM -   #42 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I'll add that I actually hacked the back off some of my platens with a circular saw to keep me more in the sweet spot with some specialty prints. Never be afraid of doing what you think is needed to make things work for you - as long as you are certain of the outcome….or have money to replace and rectify your now, blatantly obvious mistake!
bnsparker likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to 20vK For This Useful Post:
Old November 18th, 2013 Nov 18, 2013 5:26:06 AM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
I should've also noted that I couldn't adjust my platen to come into contact with my frame because my design is burned in the middle of the screen and I have too much blank space at the top and bottom of my screen. I should either buy a larger platen or start burning the screens closer to one end.
Thanks so much for all your help!
Did you buy your press from ebay or from a real Biz, if you bought from a business I would contact them with the problems you are having. I guess I got lucky and bought the correct press so to speak . Watch here and Craigs list maybe even ebay for a silver press to upgrade.I have seen many on craigs list for sale .
I have had my press for less than 3 months and just upgraded to a 4/2 from the standard 4/1 .

As far as your tilt you may be able to add a spacer to make the screen tilt , I would check with the company that made that press and see what kind of solutions they have , if they can't make it right they should take it back .

Old November 18th, 2013 Nov 18, 2013 5:51:02 AM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I did notice that the stops are missing at the inside end of the print arm, where it attaches to the carasel . This is the web site I found for your press you may want to call them and see if they can be anymore help.
4 Color 1 Station Springer SP© Screen Printing Press - Screen Printing and Sign Supplies

Old November 18th, 2013 Nov 18, 2013 9:03:04 PM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Did you buy your press from ebay or from a real Biz, if you bought from a business I would contact them with the problems you are having. I guess I got lucky and bought the correct press so to speak . Watch here and Craigs list maybe even ebay for a silver press to upgrade.I have seen many on craigs list for sale .
I have had my press for less than 3 months and just upgraded to a 4/2 from the standard 4/1 .

As far as your tilt you may be able to add a spacer to make the screen tilt , I would check with the company that made that press and see what kind of solutions they have , if they can't make it right they should take it back .
I bought it from screenprintingandsignsupplies through ebay. This is the actual setup I bought for $999.99 Screen Printing Press 4 Color 1SHIRT 18" Flash Dryer Exposure Unit Equipment Kit | eBay
I'm sick now that I know I could've spent $999.99 and got the same package with the Ryonet silver press (with tilt adjustment and shocks to keep the print arms up) on silkscreeningsupplies. Ugh!
I emailed the guy and he said to use shims between the print arm and screen bracket to level it out. I don't really understand what he's talking about but I'll try to find out more about that. He said to loosen the spring turnbuckles to make my print arm rest on the off contact bolt. I tried that and it still didn't come completely down (and that's what made the huge mess from my ink and squeegee when the arm came crashing down because the springs weren't tight enough. He also said that I could buy premium upgrades to the press for tilt adjustment and micros but I don't see that option in their ebay store--I'll go look on their other website to find out about that. At this point I'm just disappointed that I need to spend more money to make my press work correctly, when if I would've bought the other one in the first place I wouldn't have to. Lesson learned I suppose.

This is a discussion about Screen printing 2 colors not sharp that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in