Screen printing 2 colors not sharp - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Screen printing 2 colors not sharp

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 14th, 2013 Nov 14, 2013 1:21:44 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Stephanie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Screen printing 2 colors not sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
There is all these ideas but if you all look all the blue is a fill. If they print the white first then then the blue has bee raised not allowing the stencil to form a gasket there fore letting it leak out making it loll like an over flood. Simply switching the print order will fix the problem.
That does make sense now that I think about it. The white was raised so the navy didn't lay down correctly. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 5:43:56 AM -   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Mike

Sorry if it was mentioned (I'm reading on my tiny phone screen), but it really pays to make sure you have proper off contact. I know that when I first started printing, I had recurring issues with this same sort of problem happening, and once I learned to properly set the off contact on my press, it eliminated the issue for me.

Mike
www.malachiprinting.com

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 8:11:26 AM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRisner
Sorry if it was mentioned (I'm reading on my tiny phone screen), but it really pays to make sure you have proper off contact. I know that when I first started printing, I had recurring issues with this same sort of problem happening, and once I learned to properly set the off contact on my press, it eliminated the issue for me.

Mike
Malachi Printing | Screen Printing | T Shirts | Jackson, Michigan
I'm struggling with that right now. I can't seem to have consistent off contact from the inside out. I guess it's because of the type of press because when I put a screen in, I can't get it to stay level. I've raised and lowered the arm and the brackets. It didn't come with instructions and I can't find much online about it, so I'm having trouble. I finally taped quarters on the shirt side, outside edge to bring it up level with the inside edge. I'm sure that's not optimal but it's all I can figure to do.

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 8:54:22 AM -   #19 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Richie Rich
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

If you can adjust it, you'll see some bolts right where the screen clamp attaches to the arm. Tape quarters to the screen on each croner of the platen, undo the bolts so the quarters touch all round, then retighten

The Following User Says Thank You to 20vK For This Useful Post:
bnsparker (November 17th, 2013)
Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 9:09:59 AM -   #20 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,476 Posts

What I did when I had the silver press is I got a 1/4" piece of Lexan. Not plexi-glass as its too flimsy. Put on a bare platen and adjust to it. I found this to be much easier when adjusting. This will net you about 3/16" off contact. If you need the full 1/4" the load a shirt the put Lexan on and adjust.

The Following User Says Thank You to sben763 For This Useful Post:
Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 9:14:33 AM -   #21 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

^^^^ I actually did the same.

My pre-registration grid i made up is made from polycarbonate. It doubles up for press leveling

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 9:26:10 AM -   #22 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

These are great ways to get the off contact you need dialed in. Also, I forgot to ask, are you using wood framed screens? And have they been used and reclaimed? I'm sure you've thought of this already, but it's worth repeating here. If you're reusing wooden framed screens, there is a chance that they've become warped and it will make proper off contact impossible to achieve if the image you're using covers a good portion of the screen. We've switched over to aluminum screens and I definitely don't plan on ever going back.

Mike

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 9:34:51 AM -   #23 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,476 Posts

That is a good point mike. I also use a aluminum type frame but mine are all roller frames. I just had another forum member visit last week they are going to be switching. I run all my frames at 40N and 1/32" off contact and don't have to use much pressure and allows me to print faster. I have had others tell me there isn't much difference and then find out their using the cheap mesh panels or standard mesh @20N. There is a huge difference between 20N and 40N.

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 2:34:26 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vK
If you can adjust it, you'll see some bolts right where the screen clamp attaches to the arm. Tape quarters to the screen on each croner of the platen, undo the bolts so the quarters touch all round, then retighten
I've tried to, but the arm isn't even completely level making the bracket unlevel no matter if I lower or raise it. I tried raising the center part to level out the arm and that made it all too high. When I take the screen out, the arm will go all the way down and it appears level. It doesn't make sense. The screens are wood, but they are new and aren't warped. My husband and I have both spent a lot of time trying to adjust it but nothing works. We are both "handy" people but this is frustrating. A nicer press or instructions would've been nice.

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 2:37:45 PM -   #25 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

If you posted some pics of the press and closeups of the adjustments, someone might spot something familiar and be able to offer some sort of help.

The Following User Says Thank You to MTRisner For This Useful Post:
Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 2:39:59 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
These are great ways to get the off contact you need dialed in. Also, I forgot to ask, are you using wood framed screens? And have they been used and reclaimed? I'm sure you've thought of this already, but it's worth repeating here. If you're reusing wooden framed screens, there is a chance that they've become warped and it will make proper off contact impossible to achieve if the image you're using covers a good portion of the screen. We've switched over to aluminum screens and I definitely don't plan on ever going back.

Mike
They are wood but they are new and aren't warped. I've had the press and screens over a month and I've yet to successfully use them. The set came with 4 screens and I've only tried the 2-color design twice (once with both sets) and struck out both times. I did buy some aluminum frames with a higher mesh count but I'm still waiting on delivery.

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 2:40:40 PM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
If you posted some pics of the press and closeups of the adjustments, someone might spot something familiar and be able to offer some sort of help.
Thanks! Will do!

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 2:49:04 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
That is a good point mike. I also use a aluminum type frame but mine are all roller frames. I just had another forum member visit last week they are going to be switching. I run all my frames at 40N and 1/32" off contact and don't have to use much pressure and allows me to print faster. I have had others tell me there isn't much difference and then find out their using the cheap mesh panels or standard mesh @20N. There is a huge difference between 20N and 40N.
I'm so ignorant when it comes to a lot of this. I had to google what roller frames are and what 40N vs 20N meant. LOL, I'm learning!

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 2:51:59 PM -   #29 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Yup! Chuck up some pics!

Here is my press arm. The off contact knob ontop will determine the off contact height and the mounting bolts will allow you to level it at that height.

So: off contact black knob left.

Next are two locking knobs (black) used for micro registration

Then you see two silver bolts and nuts, one above the other. Loosen these to level your screen

Next is the angle locking screw (turned aluminum). This is meant to allow adjustment of the screen angle once you have changed off contact, but since I always lock my angle with the 2 silver bolts it is defunct. However, to initially change the screen angle (once you have got your screen height set with the off contact knob) this needs to be loose. Otherwise the angle won't change when you loosen your two silver bolts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTShirtForums1384732051.400701.jpg (28.7 KB, 48 views)

Old November 17th, 2013 Nov 17, 2013 3:39:18 PM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vK
Yup! Chuck up some pics!

Here is my press arm. The off contact knob ontop will determine the off contact height and the mounting bolts will allow you to level it at that height.

So: off contact black knob left.

Next are two locking knobs (black) used for micro registration

Then you see two silver bolts and nuts, one above the other. Loosen these to level your screen

Next is the angle locking screw (turned aluminum). This is meant to allow adjustment of the screen angle once you have changed off contact, but since I always lock my angle with the 2 silver bolts it is defunct. However, to initially change the screen angle (once you have got your screen height set with the off contact knob) this needs to be loose. Otherwise the angle won't change when you loosen your two silver bolts.
That's a super nice setup. Yeah, mine's not near that nice.

I uploaded some pics. So the one shows the screen going downhill to the left. That's with the quarters taped on the outer (left in pic) edge of the screen. Another pic shows that with the screen in place, the arm isn't level (it goes uphill to the left). The other pic shows with no screen, the arm is going downhill to the left. Currently the middle of the press is adjusted about a half inch from the bottom. That allowed the arm to be level, with the bottom of the screen bracket even with the platen. The screw underneath the arm is let out all the way and it still doesn't make contact with the arm with the screen in. If I lower the middle of the press to the bottom, the arm is level but the bottom of the bracket is well below the platen, making the arm not go down all the way because the screen is laying completely on the platen with no off contact before the arm is level. When I did that, the arm was unlevel the opposite way. I've also adjusted the bolts on the bracket to raise and lower it, but I can't find a way to make it all level. It's almost like the platen is too high for the press. When I adjust everything to make it level, the bottom of the bracket where the screen rests is 1/2" lower than the platen (even with the bolts all the way to the bottom of the bracket).
I'm sure my explanations are clear as mud...

This is a discussion about Screen printing 2 colors not sharp that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in