Not able to clear Ink on polyester garment - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Not able to clear Ink on polyester garment

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 3rd, 2013 Feb 3, 2013 12:21:53 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Not able to clear Ink on polyester garment

Garment is Black 100% Polyester San Mar performance shirt. Printing white Ink International Coating 741. I have stirred ink & added some reducer but it is still too thick & sticking to screen. Have to push very, very hard numerous hits to get ink to clear screen.
Using a Push stroke. Feel I am driving ink too much into garment. I am not flashing after all the hits I made I feel I am getting sufficient coverage. Watching the heat carefully in the dryer. Checked shirts after 24 hours & so far no dye migration.

Very tiring & slow printing this way. Any suggestions would be gratly appreciated.?
Thanks,
Twillie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2013 Feb 4, 2013 6:48:47 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Thanked 2,552 Times in 2,269 Posts

Default Re: Not able to clear Ink on polyester garment

What's screen mesh size are you using?

Old February 4th, 2013 Feb 4, 2013 2:19:33 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Danny
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

yea what mesh are you using ? I've printed through a 156 straight out of the bucket with no problems.

edit. not sure if its the same ink ? I think I may have 7100 series ink from Ryonet it's there poly ink ?

Old February 4th, 2013 Feb 4, 2013 2:53:59 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Paul
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

How are you curing it? Polyester requires less heat to cure. If ink is sticking you're flashing to long and with high ink. If your flash doesn't have temp control, reduce the time you flash.

If you're using your flash to cure, reduce the time you're curing with the flash. Do you have one station? Sounds like your platen is getting too hot, and drying the ink in the screen.

Old February 5th, 2013 Feb 5, 2013 5:32:06 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I am using 110 Mesh. I was afraid the screen might not have been tight enough. I don't have a tensionmeter. I am using diamond chase retensionable screens.
Job was for 60 pieces front & back prints. After strugging through one side of the job I brought the ink home for the weekend to keep it warm. (Shop goes down to about 63 degrees at night) Stirred Ink by hand before printing.

Made screen for the back print of this job. I chose a new screen felt very tight before choosing it. The new screen for the back design printed fine without problems. I printed just a few shirts with the new screen & decided to retest the screen that had been giving me the clearing prblems as I had to replace one shirt that had gone bad when I couldn't clear the ink. Lo & behold it printed fine when I loaded the screen with the ink that had been at home warm all weekend.

Don't know for sure but i will be keeping my ink warmer & stirring for atleast 5 minutes before printing with lo bleed poly ink.
Thanks,
Twillie

Old February 5th, 2013 Feb 5, 2013 1:09:32 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Paul
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Correct white ink usually has to be warm. I didn't see what colors you're using.

63 degrees isn't that cold though.

Old February 5th, 2013 Feb 5, 2013 2:49:59 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by selanac
Correct white ink usually has to be warm. I didn't see what colors you're using.

63 degrees isn't that cold though.

This was my thought.

I would recommend getting a paint stir attachment for a drill. Use this to activate your ink as it is thixotropic it will become less viscose and print much easier. Other things to consider, apart from screen tension, would be off contact, enough spray tack to keep the shirt from lifting, and keep in mind if you print flash printing, give the garment adequate time to cool down to avoid tacking.

Old February 8th, 2013 Feb 8, 2013 6:37:45 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Chris

Hey Twillie, All are great suggestions - The 7100 series was brought up and I recommend it highly. The 7113 white and all the 7100 series are designed to cure at 285 and are made specifically for 100 poly performance wear. Message me and I can send you a sample of the white and the tech sheet

Chris

The Following User Says Thank You to dicat1300 For This Useful Post:
Twillie (April 1st, 2015)
Old February 8th, 2013 Feb 8, 2013 7:17:00 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

If you are looking for a different ink for polyester garments I highly recommend Smart White from ONE STROKE. This is a creamy easy printing plastisol (cures at 320). It is truly superb! Call Dave Wilson at ONE STROKE ( 800-942-4447 ) and tell him David Higgins referred you; he will gladly send you a free sample of this amazing white. It is also great on 50/50 100 percent cotton and can be used on nylon with out a catalyst as long as the nylon is not treated with a water repellent, in which case, you will need a nylon bonding catalyst at 10-15% by weight.

This is a discussion about Not able to clear Ink on polyester garment that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in