Spray Tack safety - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Spray Tack safety

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 4th, 2012 Nov 4, 2012 7:54:22 AM -   #16 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,476 Posts

Default Re: Spray Tack safety

For the roller. I throw it in a bucket of water. Then before use just use an old shirt or rag. Squeeze the excessive water out. Strait up most the water based adhesive is too sticky for my liking. The water cut some of the adhesive. For quick clean up of platens flash the platen and get hot the use and old shirt or scrub pad and remove lint. Reflash and your good to go. I use the product for hoodies strait up just roll on a good amount. I can get 2-3 hoodies and the a quick wipe and 2-3 more. Still to me beats web spray when you consider clean up and changing platen tape after using.

The Following User Says Thank You to sben763 For This Useful Post:
20vK (November 5th, 2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2012 Nov 4, 2012 9:21:54 AM -   #17 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Richie Rich
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Do you just squirt/pour some adhesive straight from a bottle onto the platen then, and use the roller just to distribute and cut it down?

Old November 5th, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 7:03:34 AM -   #18 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tyson
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Sben: I might have to try the roller--you've never had the glue pull up on the INSIDE of hoodies? I'm guessing you flash after you re-apply?

I believe I read on here someone just kept a bucket with a diluted glue layer on the bottom--just leave the roller in there and use an airtight lid, and maybe add a little water when it thickens up--sounded like a reasonable idea.

Personally, I put a little 1"/2-3cm puddle on the platen and spread it evenly with a card/tag. (Thanks Nike!) I like the idea of the roller, but dislike the idea of having more stuff lying around.

The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenFoo For This Useful Post:
20vK (November 5th, 2012)

Old November 5th, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 9:23:14 AM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Marshall
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Richie:

We don't use rollers for the application of the water based glue - just fill a generic condiment bottle with a squirt lid. Squirt a little out on the platen and use a piece of stiff plastic to card it around the platen and leave a thin deposit. Need more? Squirt a little more.

-M

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtkinsonConsult For This Useful Post:
20vK (November 5th, 2012), ScreenFoo (November 5th, 2012)
Old November 5th, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 10:32:46 AM -   #20 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I think I'll try Marshall's idea. The less cleaning up the better in my book and having a little condiment bottle to hand sounds no harder than keeping a can of spray tack to hand

Thanks guys - I'll try it next time I replace my pallet paper. Looking forward to reducing the mess and expense

Richie

Old November 5th, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 12:07:54 PM -   #21 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

i card it around also but take the roller so that there is a nice even layer. For the Hoodies I put the adhesive on without diluting it with water and a good thick layer flash and reapply and flash again. then I just wipe the fuzz off with water every other hoodie and flash platen and its ready

The Following User Says Thank You to sben763 For This Useful Post:
ScreenFoo (November 5th, 2012)
Old November 5th, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 12:29:46 PM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Brad
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Just a note. I have been using low-tack shelf paper instead of platen tape. Been using it for several months now and it works great. Just as durable as platen tape I used before, easy to apply, easy to remove and waaaaayyyyyy cheaper. I got a 15' roll of 20" wide white and it was like $7 or so.

Old November 5th, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 12:55:28 PM -   #23 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I use med tack transfer/application tape. Same exact stuff as platen tape. 18x100yards $43. 20x100yards $47. 20" wide is $.15 ft. Yours is .47 ft. Not sure why everyone says hard to remove. If you flash the platen and get good and hot is peels off easily.

Last edited by sben763; November 5th, 2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old November 5th, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 2:34:48 PM -   #24 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tyson
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

I'd just mention that all platen *or* transfer tape is made the same. I had a batch a few years back that didn't always pull clean--if I drew a line on it with a ball point pen, it would rip there when I pulled it. And I'd watch out for the plastic liner transfer tape, although I've never tried it for a non-vinyl application, I don't think I want to smell it under a flash.

I think what he's getting is more like .30 a foot (square foot, at least)
Somewhere around ten cents a square foot sounds about right when you're buying 100 yds.

Old November 5th, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 2:56:37 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Bill

If you're going to go the transfer paper route to protect your platens, instead of "platen tape" there are two main brands of higher quality. TransferRite, and RTape. Each of these companies offers a variety transfer paper with different amounts of tackiness. Low, medium, and high. My preference is a medium RTape.

Stay away from clear transfer tape for platen protection. However, I like to use clear transfer tape when I'm checking my registration. It's far easier than applying several strips of packing tape over your initial base test print, and it cleans up easily when you're wiping off the registration tests.

Last edited by Decal_Designs; November 5th, 2012 at 03:13 PM..

Old November 5th, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 2:59:02 PM -   #26 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

ops. its acualy $.47 ft. vs $.15 a linerar ft Med tack R tape is what most the screen printing stores sell. I buy smart tack from Earl Mich. As Tyson mentioned all application tape is not the same. The smart tack is cheaper then the R tape and maybe has a little less tack so maybe why I dont have any issues removing. I been keeping track since my last tape change 1456 shirts and 26 revesible basketball jerseys and the again for numbering the backs for a total of 1534. 1 application of pro bond mixed 3:1 cleaned 6 times with water.

Old November 5th, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 3:09:41 PM -   #27 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: mike

never tried the pro bond but it sounds like a good alternative.

Old November 5th, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 3:15:48 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Bill

Do you guys like Pro Bond better than Tex Tac? Just wondering.

Old November 5th, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 3:39:19 PM -   #29 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decal_Designs
Do you guys like Pro Bond better than Tex Tac? Just wondering.
I have only used the pro bond. What i liked about it was you can dilute to cut the amount of tack and goes a long way. A supplier gave me a pint to try a few years back and I have used ever since. Might have to check out Tex Tac

Old November 5th, 2012 Nov 5, 2012 6:28:00 PM -   #30 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Sounds like my quart of pro bond is going to last a while! Great info on this thread. Many thanks - this is why this forum is so awesome. It's nothing without everyone chipping in their experiences, so we can all improve and make our "hobbies" (and by that I mean businesses) more successful.

Richie

This is a discussion about Spray Tack safety that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in