Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints? - Page 5 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 12:57:37 PM -   #61 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Royce (not Roy)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,044 Times in 932 Posts

Default Re: Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints?

Since they started this 15 cent special they have been "flawless" as far as shipping my orders the next day.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 12:59:35 PM -   #62 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Antony
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints?

The freedom fashion does NOT have a white underbase or backing layer. You can see half tones in the prints. I don't know any inkjet transfers that so up as half tones, but then again I don't waste my time with those.

The Following User Says Thank You to hbapparel For This Useful Post:
drdoct (July 16th, 2012)
Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 2:27:06 PM -   #63 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rick
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

You can look through a loop and tell exactly what kind of process it is.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Shirt Forums

The Following User Says Thank You to wormil For This Useful Post:
drdoct (July 16th, 2012)

Old July 17th, 2012 Jul 17, 2012 5:14:28 AM -   #64 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Maybe someone here with a highly detailed full color transfer should scan it at 1200 dpi and post a 1/2" section of it.

Old July 17th, 2012 Jul 17, 2012 5:33:00 AM -   #65 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Doc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I have the red truck one but it's already been pressed. The football one which has the white plastisol backing is on my kid's shirt and probably in the wash. I don't have any unpressed which is probably what you are looking for. Of course all you'd see is white on the white base ones.

Old July 17th, 2012 Jul 17, 2012 7:29:46 AM -   #66 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

There is very little you can tell by looking at it....Except the colour layer is very thin and the plastisol layer is thicker.....You can also see that the image is slightly larger than the plastisol layer....

Old July 17th, 2012 Jul 17, 2012 12:01:28 PM -   #67 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rick
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by royster13
There is very little you can tell by looking at it....Except the colour layer is very thin and the plastisol layer is thicker.....You can also see that the image is slightly larger than the plastisol layer....
Try looking through a loop, although I'm not sure what the heat and pressure of a press will do to the ink, it may obliterate the dot pattern. But the patterns from screenprint, offset and digital are all distinctive if you know what to look for. With some of the newer digital presses it's the only way to tell the difference from offset, they are quite impressive. I found an old Freedom transfer but all my scrap shirts are packed away and I can't get to them.

Incidentally, I pressed a 4 year old F&M transfer I found and it only partially stuck. Not slamming F&M I just thought it was an interesting tidbit since someone asked about shelf life.

Old July 17th, 2012 Jul 17, 2012 12:06:49 PM -   #68 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

The dots typical of offset printing are present under magnification.....

Old July 17th, 2012 Jul 17, 2012 12:32:55 PM -   #69 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Ok, I went ahead and scanned this on 1200x1200 which is the highest I can do. I then took and cropped a small area so the file wouldn't be 30 megs. This is interesting and I had forgotten about this (and had seen this discussed somewhere) but there is a clear layer over the whole thing. You can see it on the far right just off the image. What does this mean? I don't know. Obviously all my dots are pressed out. I am noticing that my heat press is quite awesome too at this magnification.

Here's the picture just for giggles. I won't post it as a picture here because it will probably be slow loading on a lot of internets. So now I'm siding with Royce?!!!!!? I really just don't know about WHAT this is or how it's done. What I do know is that I'm one that believes that if it's not plastisol then it's deceptive regardless of how it's done. 4 color process of course is how offset printers work but that word plastisol does mean something. This one doesn't have the layer of white. Of course it's meant to be on a light shirt so you can't see that clear layer. I think that clear layer may come off after a few washings too. I'm going to have to really investigate my son's football shirt but it's on white so it will be harder to see. Looking at this print magnified seems like it's almost sublimation it's so thin and pressed in there. I press heavy though (around 70lbs).

ps after posting it looks like it's coming up a thumbnail and when you open it there isn't an ability to zoom in. maybe you can right click and save as.

Old July 17th, 2012 Jul 17, 2012 12:36:10 PM -   #70 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I just noticed that Pro world is offering something called ColorTrans....

"A 4 color process plastisol transfer. It can be applied to all colors & a variety of substrates. Extremely soft hand! Lasts the lifetime of the garment with no cracking, peeling, or fading!"

Custom Transfers by Pro World

Old July 17th, 2012 Jul 17, 2012 8:27:25 PM -   #71 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

drdoct,
this is screenprinted - look at the halftone pattern - it's 45-50lpi.
If it were offset it would be 150lpi

Old July 17th, 2012 Jul 17, 2012 10:41:57 PM -   #72 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tom
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Offset doesn't automatically mean 150 lpi. I would think that, considering these are transfers for shirts, trying to hold halftone dots that small would be a waste of time. This isn't National Geographic they're printing.
As for cost of manufacture, is there any reason they can't be using polyester plates, or even paper plates, for such short-run work on an offset press?
As for the clear layer mentioned, I believe you can get a first-down hot-split clear that subsequent colors are printed over, the point being to save the color layers from degradation when the transfer paper is pulled from the shirt.

Old July 18th, 2012 Jul 18, 2012 4:21:20 AM -   #73 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Actually on many presses these days, the plates are digitally imaged directly and can be done on the fly....And reused over and over....Not completely sure of the process but while visiting a supplier a few years the operator put my name on a couple sheets in the middle of a run and took it off just as quick.....All via a computer keyboard..

Old July 18th, 2012 Jul 18, 2012 4:46:48 AM -   #74 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I saw a video on that Royster when looking up the offset process. I'm so ignorant regarding printing, but am learning quickly. It was a laser that just made the impression at full speed too. Pretty awesome stuff. Can you offset print with really thinned out plastisol process colors? Like I say, I have no idea how it's done now. Still think it should be what they say it is though or insert the comma :=).

Old July 18th, 2012 Jul 18, 2012 9:54:01 AM -   #75 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tom
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Probably something like a DI press. Last shop I worked in was all pdf based, computer to metal plate, Heidelberg platesetter and press. They still had to mount the plates by hand.
I was thinking more along the lines of the old Itek camera/paper plate system – cheap materials for short run jobs that weren't high end.

This is a discussion about Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints? that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in