Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints? - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 8:31:05 AM -   #46 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints?

I can print 4-color process on paper all day long. How you ask? Because our color laser printer uses CMYK toners which makes that a 4-color process. Just because someone says "4-color process" we can't automatically assume it's screen printed. Royce, I understand and agree with what you're saying.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 8:37:44 AM -   #47 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dazzia

Default Re: Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints?

Well, you mentioned "layers" in an earlier post. Now I know we are talking transfers here on this thread, but after watching the video again, I could easily see why your idea of how the transfers are done could work because the process definitely works direct to garment...so why not direct to transfer paper...right?

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 8:40:44 AM -   #48 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaldwin
I can print 4-color process on paper all day long. How you ask? Because our color laser printer uses CMYK toners which makes that a 4-color process. Just because someone says "4-color process" we can't automatically assume it's screen printed. Royce, I understand and agree with what you're saying.
Royce is not saying it's not screen printed. FM states on their website that they are doing full color printed with plastisols. There are some here that believe FM is being deceptive, but Royce does not believe that they are being deceptive.

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 8:43:40 AM -   #49 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Royce (not Roy)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanked 1,044 Times in 932 Posts

Sure you can do that process for transfers, however, on the short runs FM is offering there is no way they would be setting up 6 screens for 43.20 order.....The reason I say 6 screens is that it appears to me that in addition to 4 colours for image and the white backer layer, these transfers also have an adhesive layer which would also be screened on....

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 10:05:34 AM -   #50 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by royster13
Sure you can do that process for transfers, however, on the short runs FM is offering there is no way they would be setting up 6 screens for 43.20 order.....The reason I say 6 screens is that it appears to me that in addition to 4 colours for image and the white backer layer, these transfers also have an adhesive layer which would also be screened on....

Ok...so how ARE they doing it or should I ask WHAT are they doing to achieve that full color look?

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 10:09:07 AM -   #51 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

If you re-read this thread from the beginning, you have my spin on how I think they are made...

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 10:24:19 AM -   #52 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Yep! I sure read it and understood your concept, but you confused me on the end when you said there is no way they can do it for $43. Yet, that's exactly what they ARE doing. Anyone can get just 8 6x4 full color transfers for just $5.40 each. So if you don't believe that they are doing it for $43, then how ARE they doing it. We can't deny that it's not being done because several people have proof of it in their hands/on their backs.

These are their own words..."Freedom, 4-color process heat transfers give you a full color advantage for one low price. We've eliminated screen or setup charges."

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 10:30:26 AM -   #53 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Please let me clear up some of my confusing comments....Someone suggested that these were being screen printed and I say that for 43.20 they are not screen printing each colour with a separate screen...For 43.20 they are printing the colour layer by a digital or offset process and then screen printing the white plastisol layer.....When they are pressed, the plastisol layer picks up the colour from the paper and it transfers to the garment.....

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 10:32:37 AM -   #54 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Oh! Okay Royce...got it! That does make a lot of sense to me.

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 11:52:15 AM -   #55 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rick
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoct
Heck, I don't know how they even do their $.15 deal really because even the $20 base charge isn't much for all the setup. But I'm not efficient and on an automatic press either.
Putting aside the plastisol or litho thing for a moment, they don't print every order one at a time like you would shirts. I can only guess but they are probably using a ~40x60" vacuum press or something more sophisticated. They gang the designs on a screen and print them. Say they need 500 of one design, another 250, another 100, another 50. They can print 100 or so sheets then stop and tape off two designs, print another 250 then tape off, etc. Or maybe it might be cheaper to print all 500 and just scrap the rest, I don't know but it only takes a few seconds to tape off an image so at some point the ink savings would justify it.

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 11:58:01 AM -   #56 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

By looking at the orders numbers and/or invoice numbers on my orders, it looks to me that they are printing a considerable number of orders each day.....My best guess is they are printing the most common colours ganged on 24 x 36 sheets....And I have noticed that at times transfers look different from one end of the stack to another....So this leads me to speculate that for larger quantities, the same design might appear 2 or more times on the gang sheet....

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 12:19:59 PM -   #57 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaldwin
They aren't advertising them as 4c process, they are advertising them specifically as "Freedom | 4-color process plastisol heat transfers".

The problem here is that trade printers need to be specific in their language because print buyers (should) know the difference between different cmyk processes. Adding a plastisol underlayer does not make it plastisol process anymore than adding a Porsche badge to a Ford Focus transforms it into a sports car.

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 12:36:07 PM -   #58 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I think if this were to go in front of a jury, there would be a hung jury.....I am of the opinion they shipping exactly what they are advertising.....And if you look at many major transfers makers, lots sell what they are calling plastisol transfers when it seems to me that the image is printed by a method other than screen printing plastisol inks....

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 12:42:49 PM -   #59 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Where does wax thermal transfers fit into all of this?

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 12:52:17 PM -   #60 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by royster13
By looking at the orders numbers and/or invoice numbers on my orders, it looks to me that they are printing a considerable number of orders each day.....My best guess is they are printing the most common colours ganged on 24 x 36 sheets....And I have noticed that at times transfers look different from one end of the stack to another....So this leads me to speculate that for larger quantities, the same design might appear 2 or more times on the gang sheet....
Certainly. I know as fact that some companies print only certain colors on certain days and I would be surprised if any of the larger companies didn't print that way.

This is a discussion about Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints? that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in