Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints? - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 15th, 2012 Jul 15, 2012 4:24:03 PM -   #31 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Royce (not Roy)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,044 Times in 932 Posts

Default Re: Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints?

With the newer direct to press set-up for offset printing, like an HP Indigo Press it makes short runs like this possible....Plates on the press are imaged digitally and on the fly....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2012 Jul 15, 2012 4:54:33 PM -   #32 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rick
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default Re: Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints?

What makes me skeptical is that they advertise them as plastisol; the press time is in-line with plastisol - pretty short for lithos; the sample they sent me (albeit 5 years ago) was in no way from an Indigo or any digital press and the quality would be poor for a litho. Just to be clear, are you guessing or do you know they are lithos? If the latter, how do you know? Thanks.

Old July 15th, 2012 Jul 15, 2012 5:25:46 PM -   #33 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

The backing layer is plastisol so that make them plastisol......and FM keeps the process to themselves so it just speculation on my part...

The Following User Says Thank You to royster13 For This Useful Post:
wormil (July 15th, 2012)

Old July 15th, 2012 Jul 15, 2012 6:46:48 PM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Antony
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I ordered the freedom fashion prints back in February. They pressed great and they have held up amazing. Really, really big fan. Super soft feel, not like the opaque ones with white backing.

As to the issue of plastisol or not, I cannot say for sure since I do not work for them, but the freedom prints are not from a digital process. They are plasitsol, and if they are not, I would be shocked and would love to know how they do it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbapparel For This Useful Post:
Bling Art USA (July 15th, 2012), Hodgie (July 15th, 2012)
Old July 15th, 2012 Jul 15, 2012 7:16:10 PM -   #35 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Why are folks having such a problem understanding?.....There are 2 parts to these transfers.......The full colour part is either offset printed or digitally printed, likely on a special paper.....Then a plastisol layer is screened over top.....

Old July 15th, 2012 Jul 15, 2012 11:06:48 PM -   #36 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rick
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by royster13
Why are folks having such a problem understanding?.....There are 2 parts to these transfers.......The full colour part is either offset printed or digitally printed, likely on a special paper.....Then a plastisol layer is screened over top.....
If true they are misrepresenting their product.

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 3:58:40 AM -   #37 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

The plastisol layer makes it a plastisol transfer......Why do you think this a misrepresentation?....

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 4:46:11 AM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Doc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

They reason it's a misrepresentation is that 4 color process plastisol transfers is a very specific process. It's not the same thing as saying it's a color plastisol transfer. 4 color process plastisol means 4 color process plastisol. Not water sol, not inkjet, not sublimation. Royce, do you KNOW this for a fact that they aren't 4 color process plastisol, or is it a guess? I don't mind arguing guesses and opinions, but if you do in fact KNOW how they are doing this then it's silly to argue. I was hoping someone from F&M would see this and respond because I'd like to see this cleared up. The samples I got all looked and pointed to everything being plastisol.

Heck, I don't know how they even do their $.15 deal really because even the $20 base charge isn't much for all the setup. But I'm not efficient and on an automatic press either.

Last edited by drdoct; July 16th, 2012 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: forgot a y on silly

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 5:33:26 AM -   #39 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

If you talke to FM they guard how they do these very carefully so I doubt they will chime in....

As far as what you think a 4 colour process plastisol transfer is and what I think it is, we will have to disagree....I see no misrepresentation in how they are describing them...

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 6:34:15 AM -   #40 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tyson
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

This is reminding me of Lionel Hutz. "Works on commision no money down"--Oh wait, that's wrong-- "Works on commision? No, money down!"

What is the expectation here? Should they change the description to "Four color process, plastisol transfer"?

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 7:10:17 AM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dazzia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbapparel
I ordered the freedom fashion prints back in February. They pressed great and they have held up amazing. Really, really big fan. Super soft feel, not like the opaque ones with white backing.

As to the issue of plastisol or not, I cannot say for sure since I do not work for them, but the freedom prints are not from a digital process. They are plasitsol, and if they are not, I would be shocked and would love to know how they do it.
Thanks for sharing this. I was wondering how they held up. I wish I could see a pic. I filled out the "free samples" form online over a week ago and waiting for their arrival so that I can do my own testing.

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 7:50:38 AM -   #42 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I watched the video again that DrDoct shared in a previous post on this thread. Looking at the initial artwork it does appear to be something other than plastisol that goes down first. From my amateur eye, it appears to be an inkjet print. The then screen printer applied blue plastisol, red, yellow and then black. Voila! It's a beautiful full color print. But one cannot say it is arrived at by using only plastisol because it appears to start out as an inkjet print. Now I don't know about yall, but I think this is an amazing process because you're getting the best of both worlds. Whether you're having chicken and eggs for breakfast or eggs and chicken for breakfast...the bottomline is you're still getting your much needed (beautiful full color print) protein.

Here's the video:

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 8:14:58 AM -   #43 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I am not sure why someone thought this video had anything to do with how FM makes these transfers...Because in my opinion (which obviously some disagree with) the image on these is not screen printed.....The only part of these transfers that is screen printed is the backing layer....

Last edited by royster13; July 16th, 2012 at 08:24 AM..

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 8:24:28 AM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Exactly Royster. That's my point. Two different processes worked together to bring this full color print into existence...screen printing and inkjet printing combined.

Old July 16th, 2012 Jul 16, 2012 8:27:40 AM -   #45 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I am missing something you are saying.....So what has that got to do with the video?...

This is a discussion about Can Anyone Tell Me How F&M Expressions Is Able To Do Full Color Plastisol Screen Prints? that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in