Softhand Plastisol coming out Patchy or Blotchy - Please Help - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Softhand Plastisol coming out Patchy or Blotchy - Please Help

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 3rd, 2012 Mar 3, 2012 9:12:26 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Softhand Plastisol coming out Patchy or Blotchy - Please Help

ok, tacked, 1/4 OC, STRAIGHT Plastisol, 2 pull - 1st Pic is the new project with issue. U can see how faint it is

SAME METHOD, SAME SQUEEGE, Same orange, same brand yellow, same brand green (Fade) - Straigh plastisol, 2 Pull - 2nd pic is a different screen, you can see the texture of the fabric, but you can see how much more consistent the ink is

I'm really starting to think maybe it has something to do with the screen??? I suck

Maybe I should pop out another screen of the same design and try that. That, or rinse this sucker out and try again???

Kind of at a loss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1166.jpg (872.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1167.jpg (988.0 KB, 50 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2012 Mar 3, 2012 9:13:46 AM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

nevermind the crap laying on it

pulled out some fabric scraps.... kinda funky...

Old March 3rd, 2012 Mar 3, 2012 9:17:05 AM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Would the thickness of the emulsion on the print side, or top side, effect this?

I would think maybe it should?

This is my first time with this emulsion as well.

One thin coat on each side.
I wonder if maybe I need a thicker pass on the garment side???

Lookin at the other one up, it has thicker emulsion

Old March 8th, 2012 Mar 8, 2012 12:02:45 AM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Lee
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Do 1 coat on the top side and 2 coats on the t-shirt side, and ALWAYS finish on the top (inside of screen) side. Dry flat.

Old March 9th, 2012 Mar 9, 2012 7:24:29 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Since the last post, I have been doing two coats on garment side first, then one on ink side to push garment side back out.

That said, I think I know what my issue is/was/is

Ok, so I had crappy quality film positives that were not dark enough, so I was underexposing.

So far.... I have gotten an Epson R2200 - But have no rip
I am printing on BLACK setting, darkness as far as it will go, set for saturation, using icc profile photo paper glossy, and getting nice dark prints - DARK, as in, holding up and looking at bulb, I can't see light through it

right now there is a matte black cartridge in it, but I have two photo blacks, which I think may be darker

Until I have a rip, I'm hoping this will do, I got a really good dark print last night.

I set up 3 screens last night and exposed for 9 minutes, 11 minutes, and 15 minutes

The 9 was giving me the same issue. Light ink deposit.

I went straight to the 15, and got a better ink deposit.

So... Tonight I am going to set up 3 more screens, and do a 17 minute, 19 minute, and 21 minute

I am using SIX 36" T12 1900 Lumin 30W 6500K bulbs and I'm about 5 or so inches above them to the glass. I am also using a vacuum lid I made with a neoprene blanket, and it is working very very well.

My emulsion is Mirakami Blue, made for low light source.

I think I'm gonna be around 17 or 19 minutes, and then I should be ok.
I'm not doing this as a business, so I don't need to be burning super fast, so I'm ok with that.

One more Q here tho.

When you wet the screen after exposing, and let it soak, how long should it be soaking before the image starts to show

at 15 minutes exposure, and misting it lightly with water, my image started to show after about 10 seconds.... I'm thinking that is too soon right? Still underexposed?

I guess I'll know after tonight

Thanks for the help guys!!! I appreciate you humoring a rookie

Old March 9th, 2012 Mar 9, 2012 7:59:19 AM -   #21 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,476 Posts

Mine shows about the same 10 sec on a properly exposed screen but that is dependent on your emulsion than proper exposure. When I started 5 years ago some of the emulsions showed the image after exposure before I wetted the screen. I would just do a step wedge test on a single screen. You can then test many different times on 1 screen. Just do a quick search for step wedge test. There are several post with better instructions than I can give you.

You do not need a rip until you start doing simulated process or halftones and even then there are a few halftone converters like simple seps, Steve Yates makes a decent one.

I would put the setting for saturation back to factory. In your graphics program after separations convert all black 100K to a rich black 100C 100M 65Y 100K then print using photo setting and permium photo glossy setting. This will print from all channels keeping you from having to do head cleanings to keep the color channels from clogging. Create super opaque films and yes the other colors will further create more UV blocking then black alone. I use to believe the had to be perfectly dark till a salesman brought CLEAR INK for my 1400. Printed films and exposed fine they do not sell the clear inks but was for using as a sales tactic. He sells ink for films but sells colors also so you can still print pictures as such it was cheaper though for me to convert to all black and I already have a nice photo printer at home.

The Following User Says Thank You to sben763 For This Useful Post:
TableSyrup (March 15th, 2012)
Old March 9th, 2012 Mar 9, 2012 8:38:41 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanx Sben

I will try with those settings tonight

After talking with a lot of people, I think when I go for the gold, I will go all black and use AccuRip

For now I have just grabbed EasyArt2 (Free) and am going to play with it a bit on my company logo (Full Color)

I don't yet intend to do a lot of Sim/Half work, but I'll start the learning curve on my own logo for fun and go from there.
I know it is going to take time to get this down.

Hopefully tonight I will get my time down correct.

I will probably just do a Step Test tonight with 4 or 5 times on it, then rinse, and print off that screen to see which is the best deposit

I know I need a bit more than 15 minutes, so I have a good starting point right now. I hope

Unless I have something else going on, I think the exposure time is my issue right now

Old March 9th, 2012 Mar 9, 2012 9:35:45 AM -   #23 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Before taking the plunge into accurip I highly recommend to look into filmmaker V3. It has features not avalible by accurip and because of Patens won't be for sometime and now they also support all black and here is the kicker it less than accurip. I tested several rips and this one gave me the best results hands down.

The Following User Says Thank You to sben763 For This Useful Post:
Old March 15th, 2012 Mar 15, 2012 1:59:44 AM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

i had the same problem recently. make sure your clearing your screen. a few dry strokes to make sure all ink is out of your screen image area. also very important, make sure you flash just until the ink wont come off on your finger when you touch it. this keeps it soft so that the next stroke flattens down the fibers. i flash to about 200 degrees max. if you flash at 230-240 your printed will be more rough

The Following User Says Thank You to drscotty14 For This Useful Post:
Old March 15th, 2012 Mar 15, 2012 6:00:31 AM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanx Doc.

You mean clear the screen on the garment on my print stroke?
Kinda lost me on that one.

I got a PERFECT print two nights ago, Print/Flash/Print - White on Black, 25% softhand with my Plastisol.

Then, like an idiot, I was CURING on my platten.

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKIE ! ! !

Warped my last good one, and last night I couldn't get a good print to save my life, cause the platen was cupped - low in the center.

Note to rookie self : Don't cure on your platens, flash, then remove to cure.

Ok, that said, I have new platens coming, but another Q

Ok, so I'm using spray tack.
Last night, especially with a cupped platen, I couldnt P/F/P cause the shirt was pulling up with the screen, 1/8" OC, and Tacked - but of course this throws my registration off......

Because it was cupped and so I had to use too much pressure? Causing more ink to embed and causing it to stick??????
I think????????

After the replacement platens get here, I should know where I sit.

I have a few 50 piece runs to do immediately, 50 on 5.4 oz 100% Cotton 'Heavy Cotton' Gildains (5000's), and 50 on 4.5 oz 100% Cotton 'Softstyle' Gildains (64000's), and 50 on 4.5 oz 100% Cotton 'Softstyle' Gildains Gals V Necks (64V00L's)

Would you use any different technique between the 5.4oz and 4.5oz??

Thanx guys! You've all been so helpful and accommodating and I appreciate it

Last edited by TableSyrup; March 15th, 2012 at 06:06 AM..

Old March 15th, 2012 Mar 15, 2012 2:01:22 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

by clearning the screen i mean, after your stroke, lift screen and look though the screen to make sure there is no ink left in it. if there is ink still in the screen, that means that the shirt didnt get ink in that spot. so every print after that will look worse. make sure you don't over flash as well. i flash to about 200 degrees or so based on using my laser temp gun. it might not be totally accurate but its a good ballpark to making it all consistent. only flash until ink will not come off on your finger. i believe flashing at 230-240 will make your prints more rough.

The Following User Says Thank You to drscotty14 For This Useful Post:
Old March 15th, 2012 Mar 15, 2012 2:13:10 PM -   #27 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can cure on a platen but pull the shirt off then lay on top. Best though to refrain from I built a small carousel with 4 ceramic tiles that way I could print 4 shirts then cure or have someone curing as I printed. I made it the same height as my platen so if I was flashing I could switch back and forth. Those days are over for me I bought a conveyor dryer 2 years ago.

Pacific North West CNC | $15 Screen Printing Platens, affordable project design and CNC machining | Monroe, Washington

Good place above for platens. Give them measurements and the even pre drill for brackets.

Old March 15th, 2012 Mar 15, 2012 4:14:34 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TableSyrup
Thanx...

I just watched the Bill Hood White on Black video.
Great stuff. A no go for me.

That technique is still not yeilding consistent prints.

Print/Flash/Print makes it even worse.

Some photos:

First two photos are one print push stroke

Second two photos are print flash print push stroke

Both methods are still ungodly horrible.
I did the one print 3 times with no change.
Didn't bother attempting PFP a second time
Is this how your prints look right after you press them or is this after curing/flashing??
If this is after curing then the ink is getting too hot and bubbling.. I used a cureable reducer to an ink that cures at 300F. I wasn't really paying attention and was curing up to 350 and the ink was bubbling....
Not sure if this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greatzky For This Useful Post:
TableSyrup (March 16th, 2012)
Old March 16th, 2012 Mar 16, 2012 7:16:20 AM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanx for humoring me and contributing guys!

I got it down to about 90% where I want to be.

Last night I ran 20 shirts in about 20-30 minutes, kinda taking my time - All good prints

I threw on a new platen.

OC at 1/4"
Print / Flash 5 seconds / Print / Flash 5 Seconds / Remove / Cure 8 Seconds
One thing that helped was a steeper (more upright) angle of pull, and faster pull - clearing the screen perfect (Thanx Dr)
Not sticking to the shirt AT ALL.... major step for me. That warped platen was KILLING ME and took me forever to notice/realize that was it.
Thing must have been warped when I got it, cause I have not gotten results like this yet (Unless printing much thicker materials)
Snubbed up the machine, no wobbles at all, square to platen, PERFECT registration. I might be in love now.

I say 90% to standard, because I am not getting as smooth a print as I would like.

I think in the excitement of it all, I was applying too much pressure.
THEY ARE NOT BAD. Actually better than most local stuff I am seeing that is not out of MAJOR shops.

I think tonight I will run some more with less pressure - which should leave me more ink ON TOP of the garment. I hope.

What I am going for is a perfectly smooth and shiny print ON the shirt. I am working with some pretty smooth shirts, so it shouldn't be too tough to avoid any 'ribbing' in my prints. (Gildain SoftStyle 4.5 oz 64000's)

I'm sure I will get it.

I assume I would get more ink deposit with a lower mesh count, but I will lose detail I can't compromise if I do. So I am going to get this down with the 156 I hope.

As of right now, even if this was my best result, it is not bad, but I would like better.

Last edited by TableSyrup; March 16th, 2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old March 16th, 2012 Mar 16, 2012 7:18:07 AM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Last nights results

( Maybe when I make some money back I will buy a decent camera )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (36.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg download (1).jpg (45.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg download (2).jpg (48.5 KB, 29 views)

This is a discussion about Softhand Plastisol coming out Patchy or Blotchy - Please Help that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in