Is it ok for print on shirt to be see through when held up to lgiht? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Is it ok for print on shirt to be see through when held up to lgiht?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 20th, 2011 Dec 20, 2011 6:28:04 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Is it ok for print on shirt to be see through when held up to lgiht?

I'm new to screen printing and I'm printing a two color red and black design. I'm using 230 yellow mesh for each color(I want a softer feel to the shirts). My question is sometimes after I do a print I hold it up in the light and parts of the image are slightly see through(other parts of the image block out the light completely). When the shirt is not in front of a direct bright light or still on the platen the print looks perfect.

My question is what is causing this to occur and how can it be corrected? Also is it ok for it to look like that or is that a bad print and should it not be sold? Also Will it affect quality & durability of the shirt?

This issue and these question may have a pretty obvious answers, but I've only been screen printing for about 2 wks and I'm just trying to learn.

Thank you for all your help,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2011 Dec 20, 2011 7:23:04 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Gerry

Default Re: Is it ok for print on shirt to be see through when held up to lgiht?

The reason is the 230 mesh screens are not letting enough ink down on the shirt. Is this a bad thing? No not necessarily. I print most of my white shirts with 230 screens. They hold detail and save you ink as well. It will still look good and if cured will wear just fine. If you dont want that to happen you will sacrifice the soft feel by going to a 180 or 156 screen which will put down more ink.

Old December 20th, 2011 Dec 20, 2011 7:36:41 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Is it ok for print on shirt to be see through when held up to lgiht?

Thank you for your response, that's kind of what I thought was causing it. I really prefer the softer feel(I'm not a fan of the really thick plastic feel), I just don't want my customers to think the product is cheap or printed wrong.

Have you had any complaints from any of your customers about it? or do they even notice?

Old December 20th, 2011 Dec 20, 2011 7:43:31 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Most dont even notice but if they do I say put it on and tell me if you can tell. You definitely cant tell when you are wearing the shirt. Another thing, make sure your screen is parallel to your platen and use a really even stroke. If the screen is clearing of ink and the print looks good I would not worry about it.

Old December 20th, 2011 Dec 20, 2011 7:55:18 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I had someone bring this up to me. I told them shirts are meant to be worn, not held up to a light.

Old December 20th, 2011 Dec 20, 2011 7:57:28 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Yeah when I wear one of the shirts you can't tell at all(and I figured that should be whats most important).

Sometimes to minimize how much of the image is left see through I will do an extra stroke or 2. I have tested it and it seems to take 4-5 strokes to get a completely solid image(with no part of it see through), but that's too much ink and too thick of a feel for my liking.

Old December 20th, 2011 Dec 20, 2011 7:58:12 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimic
I had someone bring this up to me. I told them shirts are meant to be worn, not held up to a light.
Exactly my thinking!

Old December 20th, 2011 Dec 20, 2011 8:00:55 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd1180
Yeah when I wear one of the shirts you can't tell at all(and I figured that should be whats most important).

Sometimes to minimize how much of the image is left see through I will do an extra stroke or 2. I have tested it and it seems to take 4-5 strokes to get a completely solid image(with no part of it see through), but that's too much ink and too thick of a feel for my liking.
Instead of doing 4-5 strokes go down to a 180 or 156 screen and add a small amount of softhand base to your ink and do 1 stroke and you should have a nice opaque soft print. The softhand base, add about 3-5%, a little goes a long way.

Old December 20th, 2011 Dec 20, 2011 8:29:04 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Is softhand base the same as curable reducer?

Also here is a picture of a part of one of my prints and then the same print held up to the light(just to make sure we are on the same page)

Last edited by cd1180; December 21st, 2011 at 05:08 PM..

Old December 20th, 2011 Dec 20, 2011 8:34:01 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

It is fine. And no curable reducer is different but could also be used for the desired effect. Dont over do it with reducer because it will really thin out the ink to much if you add to much.

Old December 20th, 2011 Dec 20, 2011 8:39:21 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Caleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryppg
Instead of doing 4-5 strokes go down to a 180 or 156 screen and add a small amount of softhand base to your ink and do 1 stroke and you should have a nice opaque soft print. The softhand base, add about 3-5%, a little goes a long way.
This!
It depends upon what you're printing (4cp, spot, ?), but a courser mesh with less pressure & angle with a sharp squeegee will generally yield a better result if the ink is correct. A higher mesh count is needed to hold 85lpi+ if the art calls for it and the equipment can handle that registration.

Old December 20th, 2011 Dec 20, 2011 8:42:09 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairolddesign
This!
It depends upon what you're printing (4cp, spot, ?), but a courser mesh with less pressure & angle with a sharp squeegee will generally yield a better result if the ink is correct. A higher mesh count is needed to hold 85lpi+ if the art calls for it and the equipment can handle that registration.
Yes it will depend on the art but it would be fair to say I assumed he was doing a spot color print as he has only been screen printing for 2 weeks.

Old December 21st, 2011 Dec 21, 2011 5:35:38 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryppg
Yes it will depend on the art but it would be fair to say I assumed he was doing a spot color print as he has only been screen printing for 2 weeks.

Correct it's just a 2 color spot color print, I just have a bunch of 230 mesh screens and have already burned a couple different 2 color designs on them, so if possible I want to stick with those for now.

On my next design I will try the lower mesh count.

Old December 21st, 2011 Dec 21, 2011 6:56:47 AM -   #14 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd1180
Correct it's just a 2 color spot color print, I just have a bunch of 230 mesh screens and have already burned a couple different 2 color designs on them, so if possible I want to stick with those for now.

On my next design I will try the lower mesh count.
I wouldn't go to a higher mesh maybe just do 2 strokes or flood,print, flash and with no flood do a fill stroke. You will still get a softer hand than going to a higher mesh and use less ink. I would try the flood, print then with a small amount of ink on squeegee do a second stroke without flashing.

Old December 21st, 2011 Dec 21, 2011 7:45:16 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Here are my thoughts, for production purposes you want to use the mesh count that can hold the detail you are after and be able to lay down enough ink in ONE stroke. This can be accomplished (depending on the art) by a number of factors. You can go to lower mesh counts which allow more ink to pass or you can build up your stencil on the 230 by applying additional coats of emulsion. If you have to stroke something twice you just slowed your production down.

This is a discussion about Is it ok for print on shirt to be see through when held up to lgiht? that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in