First order for screen printing - Page 5 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

First order for screen printing

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 5th, 2011 May 5, 2011 8:05:57 PM -   #61 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: First order for screen printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by magas
I admire your investigation and quite vast information you shared on this site. I'm starting this as a hobby too and the amount of information you guys gave me in unnnbelievable. I'm very excited to do this and will definitely use your information to prepare for this fun project.
now I have a question there might be a simple answer to it that I don't know. why not using a Vinyl Cutter and make your design through computer and paste is on the frame, instead of going through all this hassle of buying degreasers and solutions and emulsions etc. I watched this guy on youtube: YouTube - How to Screen Print with a Vinyl Cutter
what he did makes sense to me and I don't see any problems with that. I believe it makes the life much easier . any advise ?
Emulsion you can build up a thicker stencil on both sides say if you are printing white on a black shirt.

I'm not sure how well the cheap cutters cut. And I don't believe you can do real fine detail with one. i.e. the small wash icons and small print like if you print your labels.

Also, I don't think the vinyl cutter could do halftones, for those who do halftones.

The other thing is the artwork. You have to set your artwork up correctly on your computer for it to be cut correctly. Whereas, printing something off a computer to burn a screen with. All you have to do is get your design to "look" right.

My images look good when you print it off. But if you change the view to a wireframe view which is what the vinyl cutter would see, then it doesn't look right. This is because sometimes I layer things on top of each other to get it to "look" right. But the wireframe of it wouldn't be correct and wouldn't get cut correctly.

The other thing is I think it would be easier getting the transparent film to line up straighter when you burn an image than if you were to put down a vinyl sticker. Plus, I bet it would even be harder to get the vinyl on straight if you had multiple screens and multiple colors laying down next to each other.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2011 May 5, 2011 8:21:34 PM -   #62 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsmith
Emulsion you can build up a thicker stencil on both sides say if you are printing white on a black shirt.

I'm not sure how well the cheap cutters cut. And I don't believe you can do real fine detail with one. i.e. the small wash icons and small print like if you print your labels.

Also, I don't think the vinyl cutter could do halftones, for those who do halftones.

The other thing is the artwork. You have to set your artwork up correctly on your computer for it to be cut correctly. Whereas, printing something off a computer to burn a screen with. All you have to do is get your design to "look" right.

My images look good when you print it off. But if you change the view to a wireframe view which is what the vinyl cutter would see, then it doesn't look right. This is because sometimes I layer things on top of each other to get it to "look" right. But the wireframe of it wouldn't be correct and wouldn't get cut correctly.

The other thing is I think it would be easier getting the transparent film to line up straighter when you burn an image than if you were to put down a vinyl sticker. Plus, I bet it would even be harder to get the vinyl on straight if you had multiple screens and multiple colors laying down next to each other.
what is the total price so far to start it ? I would love to go on your path as we are trying to do the exact same thing with same purpose !

Old May 5th, 2011 May 5, 2011 8:28:59 PM -   #63 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
what is the total price so far to start it ? I would love to go on your path as we are trying to do the exact same thing with same purpose !
It depends on how much you want to spend. I'm getting extra things you don't have to have. Like a screen coating stand, etc. I'm probably going to get a flash dryer to flash and cure my shirts. Whereas you could instead get a cheap heat gun. But the flash would be alot better.

If you want to start cheap, you can look at the Ryonet starter kits. But I believe the chemicals in those kits are just to get you started. Which is why I'm not getting a kit, and am buying my stuff seperately so I can get larger bottles and emulsion to start with.

Old May 5th, 2011 May 5, 2011 8:36:54 PM -   #64 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsmith
It depends on how much you want to spend. I'm getting extra things you don't have to have. Like a screen coating stand, etc. I'm probably going to get a flash dryer to flash and cure my shirts. Whereas you could instead get a cheap heat gun. But the flash would be alot better.

If you want to start cheap, you can look at the Ryonet starter kits. But I believe the chemicals in those kits are just to get you started. Which is why I'm not getting a kit, and am buying my stuff seperately so I can get larger bottles and emulsion to start with.
thanks. let me know when you came up with a total cost on your choices ...

Old May 5th, 2011 May 5, 2011 8:40:24 PM -   #65 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
thanks. let me know when you came up with a total cost on your choices ...
It's gonna be over $1k.

Old May 19th, 2011 May 19, 2011 2:20:19 AM -   #66 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Justin

Why don't you order screen printed heat transfers through a company like Transfer Express, et al, and just simply buy a heat transfer machine? Or even better yet, buy a vinyl cutter and heat transfer vinyl and cut out your images that way? You said it yourself; you're not doing halftones, so that won't be a problem. Vinyl cutters can cut pretty detailed stuff sometimes, and it's just a matter of how much time you want to spend weeding out a crazy detailed design. But if you're willing to spend literally HOURS just for one shirt (when you have never even printed before so the print won't look 100% great), you seem as though you'd have no problem weeding out a transfer from a vinyl cutter.

I'm not knocking you, but saying you've never printed before, how can you be so sure that you can print better than all these shirts you see in Hot Topic among other places?

Lastly, buying that screen coater is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard of in my life. Don't waste your money. You hold the screen with one hand and hold the scoop coater with the other. You most certainly do NOT need two hands to hold a scoop coater to coat a screen. Do not waste your money. $33 is not a justifiable cost for such a foolish device. Ask anyone else on here and they'll tell you the same.

Justin

Old May 23rd, 2011 May 23, 2011 2:29:20 AM -   #67 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can think it is stupid in your situation to use a screen coater stand. But in MY situation, I have a use for it. I'll be coating screens in low light, so it will be somewhat hard to see. And the floor has large tiles, so the floor is kinda slick. So, I think something to help hold the screen in a low light slick floor situation is worth it.

You may choose to coat screens with one hand, but maybe I'll choose to coat screens with two hands.

I'm not going to send out my designs to third parties. That isn't going to happen. Plus most seem to have a minimum anyways just like screen printers.

I've already explained in other threads about why the vinyl cutter can't work. One thing is I don't like the look. The other thing is your artwork has to be setup to be able to get it cut in a vinyl cutter. Most of my artwork isn't setup for that as I layer things to create my image. I did try welding and combining my objects in Corel, but it either still didn't look right in wireframe view, or messed up my image. So, I'm not going to spend the time trying to figure out how to change or adjust my designs to get it to work for the vinyl cutter when I can just print it off instead and burn a screen.

I like the look of a screen printed shirt instead of a sticker anyways.

Last edited by jasonsmith; May 23rd, 2011 at 05:46 AM..

Old May 23rd, 2011 May 23, 2011 2:57:20 AM -   #68 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tom
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

For what it's worth, you can use a yellow bug light in your screen room, or at your washout sink. They throw off a lot of light, but it's safe for the emulsion. They're all I've ever used. You don't need a darkroom safelight of the kind that was used for litho film or pan developed prints and negatives.

Old May 23rd, 2011 May 23, 2011 3:06:24 AM -   #69 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpitman
For what it's worth, you can use a yellow bug light in your screen room, or at your washout sink. They throw off a lot of light, but it's safe for the emulsion. They're all I've ever used. You don't need a darkroom safelight of the kind that was used for litho film or pan developed prints and negatives.
Thanks. That would help alot in order to see. Where I'm coating my screens, I have 6 bulbs that are 60w. So, I'll get 6 yellow bulbs at 60w.

I'll be printing white on black or dark colored shirts. Do you usually do a one and one coat? Or something like a two and two coat? I know Ryonet had talked about both.

Old May 23rd, 2011 May 23, 2011 3:55:05 AM -   #70 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tom
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Coat two over two. I'd just use one bug light and loosen the other white bulbs if you're using a fixture with 6 bulbs. Or just get a clip-on fixture with a bug light bulb and remove the reflector. That's all I use and it puts out plenty of light.

Old May 23rd, 2011 May 23, 2011 4:25:52 AM -   #71 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

What I'm going to do is make something like a picture frame with a raised lip to set my screen on while it dries. I'll lay some black poster board on top mainly to keep dust off the emulsion.

This is a discussion about First order for screen printing that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in