Orange ink STILL won't print - Page 5 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Orange ink STILL won't print

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 26th, 2010 Dec 26, 2010 9:06:23 PM -   #61 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Angel
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 959 Posts

Default Re: Orange ink STILL won't print

Yes, glycerin, glycol, etc are for waterbase inks to prolong their drying or clogging time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2010 Dec 27, 2010 5:43:59 PM -   #62 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Paul
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Did you guys mention in this post about using Draino to De-haze? If so I tried it and a very little came out after allowing the draino to sit about 40 minutes.

I guess I'll have to try a de-hazer or just throw out the screen with locked in emulsion.

Old December 27th, 2010 Dec 27, 2010 10:19:22 PM -   #63 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I am not so sure but on my mind right now is reclaiming stubborn screens.

Old December 28th, 2010 Dec 28, 2010 6:10:41 AM -   #64 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Chris
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selanac
Did you guys mention in this post about using Draino to De-haze? If so I tried it and a very little came out after allowing the draino to sit about 40 minutes.

I guess I'll have to try a de-hazer or just throw out the screen with locked in emulsion.
I believe it was this thread:

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/screen-...ng/t97981.html

And they talk about using it to reclaim, not dehaze. Another method that is sure to work (with patience) is a higher powered pressure washer.

Old December 28th, 2010 Dec 28, 2010 6:25:18 AM -   #65 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Loretta
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroJames
Yes, glycerin, glycol, etc are for waterbase inks to prolong their drying or clogging time.

But does it interfere with their drying or adhering to the fabric?

Old December 28th, 2010 Dec 28, 2010 6:03:01 PM -   #66 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You really don't have much of an alternative if your ink keeps drying. This is why I hate waterbased ink. I thought it was harder to clean up Plastisol.

I went back to Plastisol and just scraped up as much ink as possible. If I want to reclaim it, I first clean the screen off with LA's Awesome Orange Cleaner, then wash it off with a degreaser. At that point the screens ready to apply emulsion.

Wear a gas mask though.

Old December 28th, 2010 Dec 28, 2010 8:45:55 PM -   #67 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I have been using longer drying inks for quite sometime now.

I tried adding some glycerin (based on 1tsp per 1/4kg ink) on some of my older quick drying inks once. I did not do any wash test but cure it a little longer than regular waterbased ink just to be sure. Did not receive complaints from regular customers.

Old December 29th, 2010 Dec 29, 2010 2:59:17 PM -   #68 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I made two mistakes. Had a few personal problems so hired a guy to come in and screen print. He said he had waterbased ink experience. Turns out he didn't, and didn't know how to cure it. I gave him the heat gun, and told him to also run it through the conveyor a couple times. I left to make some film at home. Everything washed out.

Second mistake was using Speedball ink. At least I think. Don't know if it was that or using Water Based Ink Retarder. Probably both.

Now I have to buy several new Champion Sweat Shirts out of my pocket. They're the most expensive ones.

Anyone want to donate money? Lol.

Old December 29th, 2010 Dec 29, 2010 9:11:43 PM -   #69 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jay
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selanac
You really don't have much of an alternative if your ink keeps drying. This is why I hate waterbased ink. I thought it was harder to clean up Plastisol.
I HATE cleaning up any kind of ink. I did a long run of sweatshirts once and when it came to clean-up, I didn't want to deal with it. If only I could just throw out screens after each use

Old December 30th, 2010 Dec 30, 2010 1:49:05 AM -   #70 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tom
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I spoke with a representative of a major press manufacturer at a show who does some printing on the side, and he told me that he doesn't reclaim screens. He uses Shurloc panels in roller frames, and when the job is done, he wipes the ink out with an old shirt, removes the dirty mesh panel, and sells it to another printer for a couple of bucks. He builds the price of the panel into the print cost for the job, but he doesn't need the chemistry and mess of washing the ink out and the reclaiming. If he were using capillary film, he'd have no mess at all – only the stencil development after exposure. While it seems like an expensive way to do things, when you consider the time and chemistry savings, there's a certain logic to it . . . especially for long print runs.

Old December 30th, 2010 Dec 30, 2010 4:40:44 PM -   #71 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Saint Valentine Clothing

For gods sake!!! %15 curable reducer, problem fixed.

Old December 31st, 2010 Dec 31, 2010 12:46:06 PM -   #72 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpitman
I spoke with a representative of a major press manufacturer at a show who does some printing on the side, and he told me that he doesn't reclaim screens. He uses Shurloc panels in roller frames, and when the job is done, he wipes the ink out with an old shirt, removes the dirty mesh panel, and sells it to another printer for a couple of bucks. He builds the price of the panel into the print cost for the job, but he doesn't need the chemistry and mess of washing the ink out and the reclaiming. If he were using capillary film, he'd have no mess at all – only the stencil development after exposure. While it seems like an expensive way to do things, when you consider the time and chemistry savings, there's a certain logic to it . . . especially for long print runs.
That's interesting. I never would have even thought of something like that. Seems like to much work for my lazy self

Anyways, I had a few shirts left over from the order that I had to problem with the orange ink. I received my new (and first) vinyl cutter from USCutter and instantly fell in love! This thing does amazing things.

I decided to try doing the lettering on the back of the shirt in orange with vinyl instead of ink. The shirt came out great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00161-20101231-1526.jpg (406.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00162-20101231-1526.jpg (545.4 KB, 9 views)

Old December 31st, 2010 Dec 31, 2010 10:14:07 PM -   #73 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Good Job Jay

Old January 1st, 2011 Jan 1, 2011 12:39:48 AM -   #74 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpitman
Same too with a colleague here with user name Penggul. He said he does not reclaim screens and just restretch a new one. Said it is faster than reclaiming.

Old January 1st, 2011 Jan 1, 2011 2:17:24 PM -   #75 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroJames
Same too with a colleague here with user name Penggul. He said he does not reclaim screens and just restretch a new one. Said it is faster than reclaiming.
But if you did that, you would need to buy a restretching machine of some sort right?

This is a discussion about Orange ink STILL won't print that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in