Emulsion Remover - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Emulsion Remover

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 23rd, 2010 Jul 23, 2010 3:28:29 AM -   #46 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Angel
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 959 Posts

Default Re: Emulsion Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chard
angel, im trying to comment on this post

i dont know what you are talking about but maybe you should be the one to read the posts in their proper context..as to what i have said, the concept of eco-friendly may differ from one another or to be specific from one state to another as different states have different laws regarding this matter..just like the one you have posted:
as what others have said, some states have filtration system and dumping it in their sink is not a big problem while others dont have this system and dumping it on their sink is "not eco friendly" because of lack of the said system..
Thanks for the elaboration (in highlight). I think this is what some people wants to know and not some vague generalities that does not really help nor say anything.

Now that we have a general understanding of what "not eco friendly" means, maybe we should shift the discussion back to emulsion removers. And whilke on the subject of eco-friendly, maybe someone can comment on the suitability of using water filters to "process" emulsion-contaminated water before draining the water to sewers, septic tanks or rivers. https://www.t-shirtforums.com/screen-...t/t123988.html

Last edited by BroJames; July 23rd, 2010 at 03:40 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2010 Jul 23, 2010 11:54:06 AM -   #47 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Greaves
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

• Sewers pipe into a community filtration system, or not.
  • Septic tanks are for organic waste that bacteria can decay, not industrial chemicals & plastics. Septic tank water flows into the field and water table nearby.
    A post I made in 2008 with pictures of water disposal in Fiji (1999)
    Emulsion Washout in Bathroom?
  • Rivers are not for dumping any screen printing waste.
Filtration will remove many unsightly particles, but not all liquid chemicals, wetting agents or dissolved salts used to attack the bonds made by polymerization. If you could afford water filtration to purify water, you wouldn't be building your own sink on a balcony.

If you are piping waste to a municipal water filtration system, I, screen waste water with scraps of stencil and see no point in filtering any further.

This is where I again state that I don't know what the standards are for anyone else's location. Only you know your local regulations. Only Lisa knows her local regulations. She could be in a hectic border town like Pembina or a sleepy hamlet with no sewer. Like a doctor, if you describe your situation, I can prescribe a method. No municipal water system, I suggest you not make screens.

Most of the people I meet looking for 'natural' methods want to avoid the industrial complexity of the hazards inherent in art materials and chemicals integral to modern commercial screen printing with their VOC's and plastics.

Angel, I still have no clue what your standard is, for the un-definable term eco-friendly. You asked me. Note the first 10 paragraphs of the WikiPedia entry: Environmentally friendly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old July 23rd, 2010 Jul 23, 2010 10:03:37 PM -   #48 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

The extended discussion is actually only on what "designed to go right down the sink" means to an average screen printer. Nobody is doubting or in any way disputing any statements made. Any clarification and/or elaboration is therefore most welcome.

At the very least, Lisa and I were happy to hear that. I am sure other people too. So we asked questions to reconfirm and to clarify which we are happy we did. Even if our joy was cut short when you elaborated - that drain safe (or designed to go right down the drain) means into the municipal sewerage system with filtration or treatment capabilities. A vital piece of information that was left out because, as you said, you didn't feel that the elaborations was needed at that time. I think this is fair enough because it is sometimes impossible to include all information in a simple discussion or post. This is the reason why we ask clarificatory questions which in no way should be considered as questioning a certain post. We do thank you, or anyone else, for sharing their knowledge or thoughts.

I recall the movie Nemo which is one of my son's favorite movie and which he watches every now and again. The escape plan of Nemo and his fish-friends is anchored on the premise that "All drain leads to the ocean". The setting is Australia, halfway around the globe from US but a developed country. I did not post it then as it may heat up the discussion. But I am posting it now because I think we are having a calmer discussion right now.

Something also entered my mind lately, even if I should be living in the US,
1) I will first make sure that water from my sewers goes through a filtration plant. I do recall a few movies that seems to show sewer tunnels opening up into some natural waterways. So I am not sure how many US cities recycle them back into drinking water but for cities which does, my impression is that waste water are recycled into water suitable for plants or suitable for dumping into natural waterways.

With reference to the preceeding paragraphs, products labeled drain safe or anything of similar effect but without a qualifying "and into a municipal sewerage/water filtration system" clause(or other similar qualification) seems "insufficient" and can be misinterpreted in some places, even within the US. If this is not printed in the container then I think this is the reason why.

2) Even highly industrialized countries in Europe, the US, Japan and Australia, does not seem to escape natural calamities - flooding, to be precise. I am not sure if sewer tunnels are leak-free, spill-proof or air-tight, but if they're not, there is an increased risk that drain-safe chemicals we pour down the drain will be scattered across a rather large public area. And a pound of harmful substance in a pail of water is just the same as a pound in a city-wide flood where innocent Children and pregnant women have to wade through to get home. Or farmland-wide flood where the crops we eat are grown.

I have also heard of gas leaks even in advanced countries. I would guess that these gas pipes are far more durable and leak-proof than sewers.

Sorry for the long post but to be eco-friendly, however it may be defined, it seems prudent to make sure that the sewers lead to a municipal filtration system AND that the sewer tunnels are leak-proof before washout water is dump into the sewerage.

After all is said, "designed to go right down the sink" seems nothing more than meaning "won't damage your drain pipes"

Last edited by BroJames; July 24th, 2010 at 06:23 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to BroJames For This Useful Post:
greenstonegrphix (July 24th, 2010)

Old July 24th, 2010 Jul 24, 2010 6:12:03 PM -   #49 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Greaves
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Thanks for the input.

With a tip of the hat to chard; I don't know what stencil remover you're using but the MSDS is quite clear for ready to use, Ulano #4 Liquid.

12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Do not empty large quantities into drains or release into open water.
Do not store at public waste disposal sites.

13. WASTE DISPOSAL INFORMATION
Dispose of as a non-hazardous aqueous waste
Empty container: scrap metal recycling or re-conditioning
Soiled container: (treatment like product itself)

14. TRANSPORT INFORMATION
ADR/RID/DOT: Class: Not regulated
UN: n.a
Packaging group: n.a
IMDG: Class: not regulated
EMS: n.a
UN: n.a
Marine pollutant: No
Packaging group: n.a

It's the plastic that will cause the most ecological impact. It doesn't breakdown.

Last edited by RichardGreaves; July 24th, 2010 at 06:18 PM..

Old July 24th, 2010 Jul 24, 2010 7:22:14 PM -   #50 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Chard and I uses the same emulsion remover. It is white and in powder form to be mixed with water by the user. I was told not to touch the mixed emulsion remover it without gloves as it can cause skin irritations. I think it is the same as the powder remover mentioned somewhere in this forum.

It can be used in a dip tank and is reusable. But I sorely lack the space for a dip tank. So, chard and I use a hand spray to apply the emulsion remover. I do not know the specifics of how others use it but I lay the screen horizontally and let it soak for a couple of minutes before wash out.

Even before you finish with the hand spray, you can see the emulsion starting to drip down with the remover. The bluish liquid (or whatever the color of the emulsion) is evidence that we are dealing with fine particles that the old 100-150 mesh I use as sediment filter cannot "catch". But it does filter out most of those larger "plastic" or dried emulsion.

In my case, these bluish water eventually started to stain some of the grouts in my bathroom floor which is why I added finer screens and also a fine cloth above the drain. This is a tentative solution as I've decided to construct a wash out booth in our balacony complete with sediment filter, pre-filter, and a ceramic final filter. I just checked with the vendor a few weeks ago and our now US#20 ceramic filter has 0.2micron openings with and is impregnated with silver(which should screen out a great majority of bacteria). And as a youtube video shows, the final product is safe for human ingestion. US10-17 ceramic filters have a 0.9 micron opening which should still be suitable as washout filter.

By doing so, I hope to do my small share as follows(in blue):

Quote:
12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Do not empty large quantities into drains or release into open water.
Do not store at public waste disposal sites.

13. WASTE DISPOSAL INFORMATION
Dispose of as a non-hazardous aqueous waste
Empty container: scrap metal recycling or re-conditioning
Soiled container: (treatment like product itself)
I plan to dispose the filtered solids as solid waste but the MSDS of Ulano #4 Liquid, as quoted, says "Do not store at public waste disposal sites". Any ideas? Would drying and burning them be OK?

Old November 25th, 2013 Nov 25, 2013 7:58:47 PM -   #51 (permalink)
Member-
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Hero
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I started this thread years back. Pushing and pushing of wanting to become a screen printer here I am years later a screen printer with much more knowledge than ever. For those who find themselves on this thread if ever, I ended up with concentrated emulsion remover as it is cheaper and quicker. I don't dilute my concentrate but you have to act quick as if you allow to stand too long your emulsion has potential to lock in your screens. Most of the time you can use a good pressure washer alone but too time consuming not to mention you will take most of the tension out your screen. I have used the crystals from my local vendor who was not going to be using that product and put it all on clearance. I bought all of it and I actually like that product works a lot better than the liquid concentrate. I don't dilute because its very quick to wash screens. I have all kinds of chemicals I use, but you can use easystrip which is a all in one chemical that takes out ink emulsion and ghost. That stuff is hard and dangerous I would recommend using chemical gloves as I had that stuff get on my skin and boy is it a scary thing as it will most certainly eat up your skin like acid. In the long run its just best to use whats out there to serve its purpose. When on a budget everything seems expensive but once you get in and business comes along everything seems less expensive and really don't mind purchasing it especially when its going to make your job a whole lot faster. The faster, the faster you output your orders and the more orders you output the more money you make. Time is money and the last thing you want to do is to be sitting there fooling with screens wasting time, getting all wet and causing self frustrations. Safety first remember to wear protective eyewear chemical gloves and if possible a facemask. If not worth finding out for yourself.

This is a discussion about Emulsion Remover that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in