Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Pad Printing
Discuss the various aspects of pad printing. Equipment, supplies, substrates and more

Hello fellow pad printers

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 14th, 2016 Oct 14, 2016 3:27:27 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Adam
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hello fellow pad printers

Next big thing is fiber laser.
It is inexpensive and has much better marking resolution and much smaller dot than any CO2 or YAG.
Plus there is no maintenance and it last much longer than CO2 or YAG.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2018 Dec 1, 2018 9:44:24 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkDragon
Thanks so much for your info. Not sure if you are still on the forum, but I have a question.

There are three entry level pad printers on eBay all the item. The Imprintor, and the Printa/Press-a-print.

The Printa and Press-a-print are both open systems,
While the Imprintor is a closed, cup system.

They both work with polymer plates.

The plates and ink from these manufactures are crazy expensive (so I've been told). Given your experience can I ask you some questions. If someone gets these systems:

A) What is a good ink to learn with. That is, what is a good ink to do some practice printing with, a good starter ink the will work on enough promotional products that someone could start offering pad printing as a service.

B) What company sells the photo polymer plates at a good price to learn with. I know the plate making is really important, so if I wanted to buy some plates to learn from (screw up a few), what's a good company to start with?

C) Is the ink you recommend good for both open and closed cup systems. I assume with open systems, a person may add a little extra thinner to account for the air exposure?

Thanks in advance.

Eric
I would forget about both of them.
They are toys that will give you nothing but headache. You won't get any serious production with them.
Speed and pressure are very critical to achieve good quality print. You won't have consistent speed and pressure with manual press. Also, you will need both hands to hold object in the jig, to put it in to jig and take it aside.
You will be able to find cheap semi automatic single colour pad printer in between Ebay, DigitSmith and local sources like Craig List.
If you look bit harder you may find it cheaper than Presa Print and other manual toys.

You don't buy plates, pads, etc from them neither. They will skin you alive. You should shop supplies from professional suppliers. I buy plates from Team Flexo and ink, pads and other supplies from Winon USA. They are cheap and professional advice will be there as well.

Old December 2nd, 2018 Dec 2, 2018 5:17:53 AM -   #18 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTMITCH
The biggest problem is the speed of the machine, 1 going back, & 2 going forward. The speed going back must be faster than the speed going forward. The expalination is this: When the pad picks up the ink at the back there is a stickiness to the ink holding it to the pad, let's say a 3 adhesion to the pad where the ink is touching the pad. When the machine comes forward it must be slow enough (slower than going back) so that the exposed surface of the ink gets to be stickier than what is holding it to the pad, say a 4 or 5 stickiness. If this is not so then the ink cannot release from the pad. Ink has a thickness, when on the pad there is a top surface (the surface you can't see as it is on the pad) and a bottom surface (the exposed surface) which you see exposed ready to go on the item. This is the major problem operators don't always realize. Start your machine, carriage only, back and forth and adjust the back speed faster than the forward speed. No matter what speed your machine is working at (number of imprints per hour or minute) this must always be true. The other major problem is the thickness of your ink. Hardener aside as it must be mixed to the proper ratio as per instructions, if the ink is too thick (not enough thinner) or too thin ( too much thinner) each will not give consistant prints. We are in our 27 th year of pad printing and produce over 2 million pieces a year with open well systems. We have 3 machines in operation all the time in manitoba, canada. The only time humodity places a part in the running/printing is with open well machines, not ink cup machines, as there is not evaporation from an ink cup, but lots from open well machines as we have, we constantly have to add thinner to keep the right mixture of ink to thinner, almost like water but not quite.
We use the photo polymer water wash plate material and make all our own plates. We gave up on the steel plates of any kind or thickness as the costs were too high and if a plate did get scratched we had to shut down production and wait for a new plate from the supplier. Costs of doing our own plates is way cheaper than steel.
Regarding hardener, we only use hardener in 2 cases. One is if we are using an epoxy type ink where the mix for us is 25% hardener or 4 to 1 mix by weight. Two is when we are using an ink that works on the substrate but we want to add some protection for possible wear or scratching of the ink so we add 10% to the ink. Otherwise we just use ink that is specified for the product we are printing.
Hope some of this is of help to you and anyone else who wishes to try these things.
Art, c.d. Manufacturing, manitoba, canada.
Thanks so much for your info. Not sure if you are still on the forum, but I have a question.

There are three entry level pad printers on eBay all the item. The Imprintor, and the Printa/Press-a-print.

The Printa and Press-a-print are both open systems,
While the Imprintor is a closed, cup system.

They both work with polymer plates.

The plates and ink from these manufactures are crazy expensive (so I've been told). Given your experience can I ask you some questions. If someone gets these systems:

A) What is a good ink to learn with. That is, what is a good ink to do some practice printing with, a good starter ink the will work on enough promotional products that someone could start offering pad printing as a service.

B) What company sells the photo polymer plates at a good price to learn with. I know the plate making is really important, so if I wanted to buy some plates to learn from (screw up a few), what's a good company to start with?

C) Is the ink you recommend good for both open and closed cup systems. I assume with open systems, a person may add a little extra thinner to account for the air exposure?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Old December 2nd, 2018 Dec 2, 2018 5:21:33 AM -   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_N
I would forget about both of them.
They are toys that will give you nothing but headache. You won't get any serious production with them.
Speed and pressure are very critical to achieve good quality print. You won't have consistent speed and pressure with manual press. Also, you will need both hands to hold object in the jig, to put it in to jig and take it aside.
You will be able to find cheap semi automatic single colour pad printer in between Ebay, DigitSmith and local sources like Craig List.
If you look bit harder you may find it cheaper than Presa Print and other manual toys.

You don't buy plates, pads, etc from them neither. They will skin you alive. You should shop supplies from professional suppliers. I buy plates from Team Flexo and ink, pads and other supplies from Winon USA. They are cheap and professional advice will be there as well.

Sorry, I posted this question to you by mistake. I meant it for the person who made the post quoted. (ArtMitch)

This is a discussion about Hello fellow pad printers that was posted in the Pad Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in