Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Offline Retail and Tradeshows
Discuss the process of getting your t-shirt line into brick and mortar stores and selling offline. Topics include industry tradeshows, events, line sheets, sales reps and other retailing tips and advice.

ISS Atlantic City Thoughts

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By InspiredBuffalo
  • 2 Post By SouthJersey

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago Mar 24, 2019 3:20:46 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default ISS Atlantic City Thoughts

After seven year's, I was finally able to get to one of these shows.
The show itself was very nice. Decent venue.

I went there because I am really looking for something new to add to my printshop. I am and have always been a digital print shop. I do not screen print. I partner with somebody on that.

One thing I learned is that no matter who you are talking to about equipment. If you are dealing with a distributor it is not the same as dealing with a company that actually manufacture the equipment or built it.

Nothing drives me more batty than asking a distributor a question and having them open up the machine brochure and start reading it to you. I can do that.
I talked to one company that did laser printing and his company actually designed, built and sell their own equipment. He knew everything about his machine. Every screw, bolt etc. He knew exactly how the machine ran. It made me almost wanna buy it.

I just find that dealing with the actual company is always better than a third party or middle man.
I realize most companies do not actually build there machine. If they design it and know it intimately and sell it themselves I find that it is much more knowledgeable and better experience.

I also find it very annoying that when I told a middle man I looked at a specific brand he spent the whole time I talked to him talking trash about that equipment. He doesn't know anything about that man's machine but he doesn't represent it so he considers it trash.

I watched alot of new people who want to get into the business but have maybe a little money and want to start with something but struggle with all the different things out there.

I just really write this for them. Do your homework and don't rush into anything. If you have to be talked into things then step back and walk away. Wait a day or week and if you still wanna go ahead then ok.
Don't fall for that show special routine either. I would rather pay more and get a decent piece than get talked into something because if I don't buy it now I won't get this price. That is pressure sales.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago Apr 10, 2019 5:28:28 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Ron

Default Re: ISS Atlantic City Thoughts

I’ve been going for many years, and yes, it’s easy to spot someone who is going to waste your time.
But, the show is so helpful in many ways to be able to see and touch products and talk to real people.

Old 1 Week Ago Apr 10, 2019 6:17:09 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: ISS Atlantic City Thoughts

I agree it was educational for me.

It was a nice show overall. It's hard for me to be objective. When I got into the digital printing business 7 years ago, I really knew nothing.

I just would like to see people being honest with young customers There was so much I wasn't told. It was a very painful lesson to learn on my own.
Not to say all are like that. I have talked to some pretty good people also. Who are knowledgable about what they are selling and give you the straight talk. It is one of the things about having some experience now in this area. I can spot in two minutes whether someone is for real or not.

There was one guy who I ended up talking too on the side. The guy told him it takes one or two minutes a day to clean the machine after use. That's complete nonsense. I followed the recommended steps in the beginning and had nothing but issues. It took double what they tell you. I had to learn that on my own.
I just feel for guys who have the deer in the headlights look I once had.
LOL

This is a discussion about ISS Atlantic City Thoughts that was posted in the Offline Retail and Tradeshows section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in