Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > Offline Retail and Tradeshows
Discuss the process of getting your t-shirt line into brick and mortar stores and selling offline. Topics include industry tradeshows, events, line sheets, sales reps and other retailing tips and advice.

Advanced Sales Rep Commission% Questions

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 4th, 2008 Feb 4, 2008 7:37:28 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: pete
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Advanced Sales Rep Commission% Questions

That's the thing. There are really all sorts of situations and solutions.

There are company sales reps, usually referred to as salesmen or salespeople. The card may say rep, but not quite the same thing.

Then there are what are generally called "manufacturers' reps" or "manufacturers' agents". These are sometimes individuals, but more often comapanies who represent or sell for a variety of companies. They may sell your tee shirts, someone elses blouses, someone elses blue jeans, etc. They may also rep for some accessory lines and maybe even display fixtures and other related products.

By using a rep organization you can have a much broader footprint than you will with a single salesperson. Many rep organizations cover multiple states, or entire regions. They may also sell to retailers you may not even consider prospects. You could end up with your tees in a car wash waiting area.

The thing is there are no hard and fast rules. What works best for you?

Years ago I worked for a company selling hardware that had 6 price levels, with commissions as high as 40%, down to 5%. The 5% was for approved "national accounts", the rest was entirely my option. And I could sell different products off different price schedules. Sort of whatever the traffic will bear.

Think outside the box!

A museum gift shop is going to sell the same item for more than a flea market. Why shouldn't you make a bit more off the gift shop? Share the wealth!

Last edited by peteVA; February 4th, 2008 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: `

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2008 Feb 4, 2008 7:40:15 AM -   #17 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,076 Posts

People will work to their incentive (pay) so if you pay a commission without the requirement of collecting then you may find yourself in a position of 'manufactured' sales just so the guy gets some money.

You do need to have a policy though.

As far as commission, I would set a percent for sales and a bonus percent if he goes over that goal. As an example, you may want to set goals of

$100,000 gross per month
$300,000 gross per quarter
$1.2 million gross per fiscal year

Then you could pay 10% on gross sales. Give a 2% bonus for reaching each goal. This way, if the sales are uneven during the year he can still earn a bonus and will work to reach the monthly and quarterly goals during the slow periods.

So, if you had a sales person that made all 3 goals throughout the year, you would be paying him 16% of his gross.

You also need to consider if you are going to give the sales person a draw on future commissions. This allows him to count on some income during his first 90 days while you are producing product and collecting. After that you are basically balancing his commission against the draw.

Finally, are you going to pay expenses, give a car allowance, etc. I wouldn't expect a sales person to pay their own expenses at 10%. You could bump the % and not cover expenses or you could just give something like 'up to 10% of gross' to be reimbursed in expenses and let him take the rest on his personal taxes.

hope this helps.

Old February 4th, 2008 Feb 4, 2008 5:47:58 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalunltd
Tim,
Good question. Let me throw the question back at the group. I want a sales rep that will produce the best results at the lowest cost to us possible.
If you really want to make money you want to pay your sales person as much as you can. You have to be willing to pay the sales person more than what the owner makes. This is a very hard concept for most people to handle. Think of it this way if you are only paying commissions then the more a sales people make the more the owner makes. We have a tiered % which allows the more our sales people sell they make a greater % of commission.

Last edited by Comin'OutSwingin; February 4th, 2008 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old February 4th, 2008 Feb 4, 2008 6:02:25 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: pete

Amen!

My brother and I were in business together for some time and I could never get that in his head. Both good salespeople and store managers would get to a point where he would be looking for ways to get rid of them because "they were making too much."

I managed to keep them, but he and even more his wife would harp on it every chance they got.

Old April 28th, 2008 Apr 28, 2008 9:09:55 PM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

okay boys and girls here's my two cents...I have a line of tees thermals etc.A sales rep approached me[i'm currently in about 10 stores nationally also japan.i told him we would try it for two months see what he can do and we'd agree after that time what his commission would be somewhere between 10 and 15%.
I also meet these hungry inexperienced kids who like my shirts i give em catalogs and samples and offer them 10% It seems to be working out just fine it's best if they do it as a side thing and they have jobs.I have gotten into quite a few doors this way.Best of luck to all of you.
jeff

Old April 28th, 2008 Apr 28, 2008 9:13:05 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

p.s. you are a smart guy pete

Old July 19th, 2009 Jul 19, 2009 6:25:34 PM -   #22 (permalink)
Be nice, this is my first post :)

I can get matched quickly and get the price.
sonnerie portable mp3 - Sonnerie portable MP3 est en effet unpouvoir de l'innovation technologique. Ętes-vous familier avec cette sonnerie portable?

Old September 15th, 2010 Sep 15, 2010 3:21:48 PM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thumbs up Re: Advanced Sales Rep Commission% Questions

i have a quick question im looking to pay 30% of the winnings to my sales rep would they have to know at what price im buying the shirts or how does it work?

Old April 23rd, 2012 Apr 23, 2012 7:31:55 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Tamika

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalunltd
You guys/gals ROCK! This is the best thread I have ever seen on this forum thus far. Way more than I was expecting.

Keep it up as it sounds like there is still some dispute over standard practices.

Much obliged!
I completely agree. I was actually getting ready to set the standard for my sales staff when I came across this thread. This forum is AWESOME lol

This is a discussion about Advanced Sales Rep Commission% Questions that was posted in the Offline Retail and Tradeshows section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in