Printhead 'Block' Prevention? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > NeoFlex
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future NeoFlex DTG owners.

Printhead 'Block' Prevention?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TABOB
  • 1 Post By TABOB
  • 1 Post By Stitch-Up

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 16, 2020 8:56:44 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Printhead 'Block' Prevention?

As anyone whose been in the DTG industry for a while will know, printhead ink blocks are an absolute pain. Lets be honest, we're usually using Epson printheads with inks that were never intended to pass through them. White ink is a disaster for Epson printheads.

My DTG printer, a NeoFlex original has had numerous printhead replacements and it's getting increasingly difficult to source them and the cost is becoming ridiculous!

My NeoFlex is programmed to 'spit' a little ink every 8 hours to help prevent blockages - I guess it works to a degree! But I'm seeking a better way.

Would it be a solution to park the printhead so its surface is submerged in a shallow container of cleaning solution or similar? In order to do this I'd have to switch the printer off so it doesn't try doing any self cleaning 'spits' and I'd have to raise the ink levers to stop the cleaning solution going back into the dampers and contaminating.

My main concern would be damaging the head by leaving the face of it submerged - don't know!

I welcome any response from those more experienced than me.

Sorry guys, I forgot I'd already asked a similar question! I blame age

Thanks

John

Last edited by Stitch-Up; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:22 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 17, 2020 4:05:46 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: Printhead 'Block' Prevention?

Printhead is designed to work in a wet environment, so deeping it in a distilled water shouldn't be a problem.
But if you are talking about some chemicals ... - then I'm not sure :-)
My understanding of the problem - is that the white ink is made of "crashed rocks" (this is how white ink was explained to me many years ago), and they are trying to become a solid rock again.
If the environment is moist - it should take this "crashed rocks" more time to become solid again.
But still - even inside the ink-tank - the process is still going (and this is why we need to shake white ink before printing each day).
Basically what Im trying to say - is that no mater what you'll do - the problem of white ink is still be here :-(
We can just to slow down this process by creating more damp environment.
By wetcupping, evaporative humidifiers (btw- humidifier created a huge positive impact on my printer), etc.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 17, 2020 7:33:05 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch-Up
As anyone whose been in the DTG industry for a while will know, printhead ink blocks are an absolute pain.
Very true!

Quote:
Lets be honest, we're usually using Epson printheads with inks that were never intended to pass through them. White ink is a disaster for Epson printheads.
Not a printhead design issue. All printheads have this problem, and this is why DTG printers do a head clean (flushing out/wasting the old ink) regularly.

Quote:
My DTG printer, a NeoFlex original has had numerous printhead replacements and it's getting increasingly difficult to source them and the cost is becoming ridiculous!
I get 30,000 prints from my printheads (in CMYK mode). If you keep them busy they don't clog.

Quote:
My NeoFlex is programmed to 'spit' a little ink every 8 hours to help prevent blockages - I guess it works to a degree! But I'm seeking a better way.
That's all the potentially uncirculated ink. If made optional people will skip it to save ink, and that's a really bad Idea!

Quote:
Would it be a solution to park the printhead so its surface is submerged in a shallow container of cleaning solution or similar?
Known as "wet capping" will prevent your CMYK channels from drying, BUT does not work for white ink. White ink will set as sediment in water.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 17, 2020 7:50:38 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I have never experienced a situation that I had the other day when all 8 nozzles were blocked!! That's why I immediately started looking for other causes - like the F6 fuse known to stop a printhead printing! This all happened just 12 hours after printing superbly!

Last night I did park the printhead in a shallow tray of cleaning solution and switched the printer off with the cartridge levers up. This morning, after a quick clean, it worked perfectly. I've now parked the printhead again and we'll see how things are in the morning.

Thanks for the input guys.

John

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jun 17, 2020 9:12:07 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
I have never experienced a situation that I had the other day when all 8 nozzles were blocked!!
I've had some really bad clogs at the beginning, but I've never seen an 100% clog. That's all channels and all nozzles. When that happens is probably not a clog but something else.

Quote:
Last night I did park the printhead in a shallow tray of cleaning solution and switched the printer off with the cartridge levers up. This morning, after a quick clean, it worked perfectly.
I've said this many times in this forum, and you can leave it like that for a couple of days. The only problem is that the uncapped solution will evaporate eventually, AND it does not help with the white ink. White ink should not stay still in the printhead more than a few hours.

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 25, 2020 5:29:07 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Okay, so it's been a week since I posted here. In that week, I changed the way I rest the NeoFlex overnight and sometimes 2 days. This is what I've been doing:

1. I switch the printer off leaving the base on.
2. I raise the ink leavers.
3. I place a shallow tray containing cleaning solution in the centre of the bed front.
4. I raise the bed until the surface of the printhead is submerged in the cleaning solution.
5. I switch the base off.

When I return to use the NeoFlex, this is my procedure thus far:

1. I remove and shake the cartridges.
2. I clean around the cap and wiper blade.
3. I switch the base on and lower the bed and remove the tray of cleaning solution.
4. I clean around the printhead and then park it on the capping station.
5. I lower the ink leavers.
6. I switch the printer on and when it's settled, I print a nozzle check.
7. I use 'Printer Jockey' to print just from the white channels until I get a good white.

Prior to using this method I would have had to spend sometime unblocking in varying degrees of effort!

Since using the above method, printing with my NeoFlex has been an absolute joy - it's worked every time. Every nozzle check has been perfect. Every t-shirt has been perfect, bright and vibrant.

I've been making my own cleaning solutions as follows:
5Litres DI (De-ionised) Water, Type E-11 electronic grade (D5127-90)
250ml Isopropyl
25ml dishwashing liquid

There is no way I could have gone a week without experiencing some sort of ink problem.

A very happy DTG printer owner

Last edited by Stitch-Up; 1 Week Ago at 05:59 AM..

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 25, 2020 7:46:06 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
I've been making my own cleaning solutions as follows:
5Litres DI (De-ionised) Water, Type E-11 electronic grade (D5127-90)
250ml Isopropyl
25ml dishwashing liquid
Dishwashing liquid is corrosive, so it may cause problems later on.
Just like ammonia in windex, it performs great... until the printhead fails.
Uz27 likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 25, 2020 7:58:15 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Any alternative to dishwasher liquid?

What printer do you use for DTG? Do you use white Ink? Are you printing for yourself or fulfilling for others?

Last edited by Stitch-Up; 1 Week Ago at 08:57 AM..

Old 1 Week Ago Jun 25, 2020 9:50:25 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Any alternative to dishwasher liquid?

What printer do you use for DTG? Do you use white Ink? Are you printing for yourself or fulfilling for others?
I use propylene glycol which is harmless.
I print for myself.
I have P800 conversions in CMYK mode. I don't like white DTG ink and I don't need it to begin with. It's just too slow and causes too many problems.
Uz27 likes this.

Old 6 Days Ago Jun 26, 2020 3:31:16 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

interesting!
I would add some liquid(docking solution or propylene glycol) to the capping station to keep it moist.

Old 6 Days Ago Jun 26, 2020 4:40:53 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uz27
interesting!
I would add some liquid(docking solution or propylene glycol) to the capping station to keep it moist.
I always carry out the daily maintenance that includes flushing some solution and wiping around the capping station.

The new method I've only just started using has made a huge difference! Hope I'll be saying the same in a week!

Thanks for the contributions.
Uz27 likes this.

Old 1 Day Ago Jul 1, 2020 6:42:39 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

NeoFlex Original.

https://youtu.be/ebTvoORfvck

https://youtu.be/5JgH6OwWk5I

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnmqmE2Jm88DpcU7...JYCWw?e=Twzlgd

I used to know how to post pictures & Youtube videos to this forum! Anyone remind me?
MEDIA doesn't work
IMAGE doesn't work
LINK doesn't work!

Last edited by Stitch-Up; 1 Day Ago at 08:59 AM..

This is a discussion about Printhead 'Block' Prevention? that was posted in the NeoFlex section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in