Carriage clicking when printing - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > NeoFlex
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future NeoFlex DTG owners.

Carriage clicking when printing

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghoster32111
  • 1 Post By Ghoster32111

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago Jul 10, 2019 9:29:30 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Jeremy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Carriage clicking when printing

So one of our Epson 4880 is making a horrible clicking noises as it is printing. It makes the clicking noise as it is going back and forth on the rails. So far I have tried the following: cleaning the rails, removing rails and applying new lithium grease, tightening the belt (helped a little but CR motor got very hot), cleaning CR motor gear. The noise seems to be coming from the carriage but it is tough to pin point where. My next thought would be to replace the carriage wheels. The printer itself is printing great (knock on wood) it just sound horrible. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago Jul 10, 2019 10:21:30 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James

Default Re: Carriage clicking when printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letritech
So one of our Epson 4880 is making a horrible clicking noises as it is printing. It makes the clicking noise as it is going back and forth on the rails. So far I have tried the following: cleaning the rails, removing rails and applying new lithium grease, tightening the belt (helped a little but CR motor got very hot), cleaning CR motor gear. The noise seems to be coming from the carriage but it is tough to pin point where. My next thought would be to replace the carriage wheels. The printer itself is printing great (knock on wood) it just sound horrible. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Its funny this same thing happened to me today, I did everything you said but I popped off the print head carriage and took a small dental pick (tooth pick or a pin will work to) and I cleaned the back sides of all the wheels a ton of dried ink came out and it was printing smooth and as quite as usual after I put everything back together. Give that a try it may help.
Uz27 likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Jul 10, 2019 1:09:35 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

That is funny. I ended up taking all the wheels out and cleaning them but unfortunately this did not work for our machine. Pretty amazing how much grime they can collect though. I am open to other suggestions.

Old 1 Week Ago Jul 12, 2019 10:07:00 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Make sure the printhead is tightly secured in its housing.

Old 3 Days Ago Jul 16, 2019 5:59:43 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 846 Posts

if it's a single click, it is probably the tension of the belt. if you print a smaller image so that the print carriage doesn't cover the entire area, you can put your finger on the bracket that holds the belt, which is at the far left side when facing the printer. you will feel it "jerk", and if you place pressure on it, the click should stop, if that is the cause.

the other thing i've had is a series of clicks. this is fixed by taking a dental pick and cleaning the gear that the belt goes on. get some alcohol and start gently scrubbing inside each grove with the pick.

those are the two areas that have caused clicks on my printer.

Old 3 Days Ago Jul 16, 2019 6:52:05 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you for the input. I did tighten the belt and we cleaned the carriage return motor gear but it did not help. It is not a single click but a series of clicks as the print head moves across the center of the printer. (click, click, click, click...)

I also thought something was hanging down by the print head (maybe the grounding fork) but I checked and everything looks normal. I also looked for wear or rubbing marks on the carriage but don't see anything.

Old 3 Days Ago Jul 16, 2019 6:57:24 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

One other thing to try is to make sure the rails are all pushed over all the way (towards the capping station side of the machine) I don't know if that will help but that helped me once when it was making a series of 3 clicks. But also like John said make sure the print head is secured in place sometimes those 3 screws can become stripped making the head hang a little loose.

Old 3 Days Ago Jul 16, 2019 1:18:13 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I double checked the rails and they are sitting correctly. I checked the print head and it is attached correctly but in regards to stripping out the screw hole, does anyone have a tip for repairing a stripped out hole? I noticed that the bottom screw that holds the back wheels in place just spins and does not get tight. The metal piece that holds the wheels in place seems tight but wondering if when it is running if it could be rattling or skipping.

Old 3 Days Ago Jul 16, 2019 1:29:12 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letritech
I double checked the rails and they are sitting correctly. I checked the print head and it is attached correctly but in regards to stripping out the screw hole, does anyone have a tip for repairing a stripped out hole? I noticed that the bottom screw that holds the back wheels in place just spins and does not get tight. The metal piece that holds the wheels in place seems tight but wondering if when it is running if it could be rattling or skipping.
Well its funny you ask that because yes i do lol. This was an old school carpentry trick my father-in-law showed me for when the same thing happens on furniture. All you do is take a tooth pick put it in the hole, then you screw in the screw and remove excess tooth pick. That is all there is to it lol. I have 6 Neos and 4 of them are held together like that. Head stays flush and all is happy with it.
23spiderman likes this.

This is a discussion about Carriage clicking when printing that was posted in the NeoFlex section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in