Considering a used Neoflex - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > NeoFlex
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future NeoFlex DTG owners.

Considering a used Neoflex

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tkster95

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 2nd, 2019 Feb 2, 2019 2:16:22 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tom
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Considering a used Neoflex

Hi,

I saw a used NeoFlex printer for sale below $5,000 and I'm trying to determine if that is a good way to get my feet wet in the world of DTG printing. (I believe it is the first generation model, has a more rounded shape to the printer but not sure if that is good enough to distinguish between the models)

As with most used DTG listings the post said it hadn't been turned on in years but worked great before shutting off. Because of this I'm assuming it will need a lot of new parts. I've been trying to price out a worse case scenario... at dtgmart I figured every piece available for the 4880 is around $2,500. Is that a reasonable expectation to bring a dead printer back to life? Could it be a lot more? I've also seen used epson 4880's for sale below $1,000. Would it be a good option to buy one of those and use it for spare parts?

I'm pretty good at fixing things. I'd like to do it all myself but wondering if there is some sort of manual available that would walk me through replacing parts? Would tshirt forums be my only option for troubleshooting?

I'm nervous about buying a $5,000 machine paying $2,500 in replacement parts and having a real expensive paper weight.

As far as the print is concerned.. Does a well running first generation neoflex still produce a print that is comparable to the current output of DTG's? How well does this machine handle white ink laydown? (the post said that the printer comes with neoflex rip software) I'm looking for a machine that can produce super opaque white. Would I be able to customize the print so it goes over the white area twice? Would I be able to go over the white area twice and the color area twice if I wanted? Not saying I would need to, just curious about the control over print functions.

Thanks for reading. Any info is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2019 Feb 3, 2019 4:55:24 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Considering a used Neoflex

If its a round shaped printer - its an old one.
Neoflex 1

If you can't check the the current status of the printer - 5k ( in my personal opinion) is waaay to much.
If the previous owner flushed the tubes before putting it to storage - I guess you can consider it...
If he didn't flush it - 99.9% you'll have to change all ink lines, cartridges, dumpers and printhead.
Maybe capping station too.

Also - take to the consideration the fact that this is an old printer .
You'll have to reset chips in the ink cartridges and in the wast tank.
And it will print slower than the newer models.
And it's harder and harder to get a new parts for it (especially printhead)

If the printer base is in a good and fully operation condition - I guess you can consider to buy and to fix it ...
But not for 5k.

But there is also another idea - you can buy this printer just for the base.
And purchase the P800 upgrade from AA.
It should cost around 6K.
And you'll get basically a new printer.
Which is faster and easier to maintain with cheaper and easier to find parts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Uz27 For This Useful Post:
tkster95 (February 4th, 2019)
Old February 4th, 2019 Feb 4, 2019 5:52:03 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Uz27 provided exceptional advise.

There are tooooooooooo many unknowns regarding an OLD DGT stored in unknown environments and in unknown condition. I suggest this DGT may not even be suitable for parts. I've walked this path before so it's not my first rodeo. If you are buying a printer that doesn't print, the success will be that of the seller.

AA and OpenDTG offer really good options at this price point for brand new machines. But, before you pull the trigger, take a look at the import offered by Ryonet.

Old February 4th, 2019 Feb 4, 2019 1:25:28 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uz27
If the printer base is in a good and fully operation condition - I guess you can consider to buy and to fix it ...
But not for 5k.

But there is also another idea - you can buy this printer just for the base.
And purchase the P800 upgrade from AA.
It should cost around 6K.
And you'll get basically a new printer.
Which is faster and easier to maintain with cheaper and easier to find parts.

Awesome idea. This may be my route to DTG after all. Having a modular system that can be updated like that, has just put neoflex at the top of the list.

How durable are the bases? Any common points of failure I should look out for? How would you go about determining if it is properly functioning? It seems a lot less risky but then again I have no idea about any potential problems and expenses to fix.

LancerFlordia:

I've looked into Open and thought their ready to go p600 looked like an awesome deal. However, looking at pictures and videos of some of the printouts you could see lines going through the design. Because of that I haven't consider them any further. Maybe those were old pics or something.. do you think it can produce a retail ready print?

I remember you mentioned a new machine by Ryonet in another post but I haven't been able to find any info on one. I just searched for the import you mentioned and I'm still coming up short. Do you have a link you could share? I saw the poly print on their site, is that what your referring to?
Uz27 likes this.

Old February 5th, 2019 Feb 5, 2019 8:22:37 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Checking base is easy.
Turn the base on and just "play" with all the buttons.
Bring printer "home" , send it "back" and then raise it up and lower it down (check that printer bed moving up and down evenly ).

And in general - see that the base is in a good shape.
All wheels are in place and nothing is bend or missing.

Also - if you are going to the P800 upgrade route - speak to AA before you buy this printer/printer base.
Just to check with them if there is something that you need to check on the base or maybe they had different models of bases and if they all compatible with the upgrade kit (as far as i know they made only one version of the base - but just to be sure)

Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 11:08:38 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

If you're lucky enough to get a working Neo 1 then you really will be printing quality t-shirts that'll match anything in the market.

We still use the Neo 1 and love it.

Old February 23rd, 2019 Feb 23, 2019 10:01:15 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Jess

Quote:
Just to check with them if there is something that you need to check on the base or maybe they had different models of bases and if they all compatible with the upgrade kit (as far as i know they made only one version of the base - but just to be sure)
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here. NeoFlex 1 had a base I think was referred to as the Dream Edition. Don't quote me on the name, but it took a little time for the techs to help me out on a call a few years back. I'm not sure how much it varies from what they use now, but I was under the impression that it was a much sturdier/more expensive base.

This is a discussion about Considering a used Neoflex that was posted in the NeoFlex section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in