black ink direct to shirt with white ink also - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > NeoFlex
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future NeoFlex DTG owners.

black ink direct to shirt with white ink also

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By jmcgurren
  • 2 Post By 23spiderman
  • 1 Post By 23spiderman
  • 1 Post By 23spiderman
  • 1 Post By jmcgurren
  • 1 Post By jmcgurren

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 1st, 2015 Apr 1, 2015 8:19:36 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Articulate Creation
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default black ink direct to shirt with white ink also

I need help with something... Neoflex guys or anyone else that can assist.. what do I do in the situation where I need to print Black ink directly onto a red shirt but the rest of the print has white underbased? The only colored shirt enviornment that is even properly configured in Neorip is the dark colored shirt one which does not underbase black ink with any white. The colored shirt one I was told by Leo has never even been configured and lays down way too much ink as a solid block under everything. FBX-100 does not hold the black ink print direct to the shirt.. only if white is underbased. So if I cannot even print white under the black without using this "unconfigured" rip setting then what do I do? I also do not like the look of white under the black ink. It looks like crap. I just washed tested a red shirt treated with FBX-100 with white ink and colors on top, but black ink direct to the shirt as an outline and the black ink is coming off in one wash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2015 Apr 1, 2015 9:12:09 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Paul
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: black ink direct to shirt with white ink also

Good question. Have not tried that yet. But I am glad that someone else did and told me. Thank you!!!

I will be watching the post for the fix.

Old April 1st, 2015 Apr 1, 2015 11:37:35 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Looks like spiderman tried IA light and got a really nice white on a red shirt. I didn't know that good of a white is possible. Eric (dekay) told me that if not I could try creating two separate print files, one for the underbase and one for the CMYK and print them separate. Could make a slight white gradient for the black underbase so it sits on some white for better washability. This isn't ideal for production printing but its a workaround. I will try the IA light and post results next week when I print this job. It has a solid white in it so it will be a true test.

Old April 1st, 2015 Apr 1, 2015 12:32:14 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 846 Posts

just for reference, here's a pic of my red shirt with IA Light. this was a LAT shirt printed in hi-res with the dark color environment. i was a bit heavy on the pretreat, but it wasn't running off the shirt. i haven't tried it again, so it's possible i got lucky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140719_092450.jpg (2.71 MB, 47 views)

Old April 1st, 2015 Apr 1, 2015 7:20:24 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Sean, did you mention how that washed?

Old April 1st, 2015 Apr 1, 2015 7:26:37 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

no, i didn't. the question isn't whether the black will fade, but if the white will look "white". i've done many other cmyk and cmyk+w shirts with IA Light, and the cmyk holds very well. better than any other pretreat i've tried. so fading isn't an issue; the main concern was the white having a pinkish tint, but it didn't.

Old April 1st, 2015 Apr 1, 2015 7:29:46 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I was actually wondering how the white held up considering you said you used a lot of pretreat.

Old April 1st, 2015 Apr 1, 2015 8:35:43 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Image Amour Light, Dark, and Ultra can be poured onto the shirt. using too much doesn't degrade the wash fastness like it was with DuPont. that's one reason why i like IA so much. the only downside is it needs to be dried with heat, whereas with DuPont and Firebird, you can hang dry.
JohnnyBGood likes this.

Old April 2nd, 2015 Apr 2, 2015 5:33:48 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Whats with the white glow outside of the black ? Seems the deeper I get into this the more issues I come into... Also in that picture shouldn't the white be more pure (as you stated).. My problem lies with the fact that quality of print falls onto the person setting all the dials into place, as opposed to the machine itself ? Sorry if I'm a pain, and kind of anal ?

Old April 2nd, 2015 Apr 2, 2015 8:13:45 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

ok, so now i have quite a bit of egg on my face. i've been pulling some really long days, and i have confused my processes when trying to remember how i printed this shirt. @jmcgurren, i apologize for giving bad information, and i will try to clear this up and update my post over on Facebook. full disclosure: the other thread is here.

when @johnnyb57 asked why the white wasn't more "pure", i remembered that i had used this same picture in another thread. when i read that other post, i realized my mistake. the red shirt posted above had IA Dark pretreat!!! i'm extremely sorry for saying that it was IA Light. the grey and white shirts that i did had IA Light. what was different about this red shirt is that i printed in my "Hybrid" layout which takes the hi-res layout, but changes the white underbase to 1440x720 (instead of 1440x1440). you would usually want hi-res white so your white ink doesn't have a pinkish hue to it, but i was surprised at how well this shirt printed at 1440x720. so that is why some of the white areas aren't fully solid, but i can promise that it was bright white. the glow is the black ink fading into a gradient (which becomes percentages of black, which is really different greys). so there was some white ink printing in that glow area, which caused that look. this was client provided artwork that i left as-is.

i really try to be active on this forum and be a reliable source of "real-world" info regarding DTG printing. i'm very sorry for putting out bad info, and you have my word that it wasn't intentional. i have printed white ink with IA Light on charcoal and other colors, and it worked great. but this red shirt had IA Dark.
JohnnyBGood likes this.

Old April 6th, 2015 Apr 6, 2015 8:04:03 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I know we talked outside of this post but don't worry about it we all make mistakes. I just tried it with IA light using a lot on a red polo and it didn't work well. Looks like I will try creating my own underbase with some slight white under the black to hold it and print them separate -- not ideal but I can't think of anything else.
EricDeem likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmcgurren For This Useful Post:
23spiderman (April 6th, 2015)
Old April 6th, 2015 Apr 6, 2015 8:04:47 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

That was Eric's (Dekay) idea not mine

Old April 6th, 2015 Apr 6, 2015 8:05:54 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

But it seems like the best bet... Sorry for posting 1 post three times I am not good with posting via mobil apparently
EricDeem likes this.

This is a discussion about black ink direct to shirt with white ink also that was posted in the NeoFlex section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in