Solids are KILLING ME!! - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > NeoFlex
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future NeoFlex DTG owners.

Solids are KILLING ME!!

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 7:39:23 AM -   #31 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Solids are KILLING ME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23spiderman
Eric,

i'm just curious if you have tried this on a different brand of shirt. maybe it's possible that the batch of 2001 shirts you have are slightly different which is causing these results. the pits in the white after your cure lends me to think that the weave of the shirt isn't tight, so the ink is pulling back against the threads. i know this style has been printed on successfully, but maybe the ones you have have been re-dyed or something else that is making this happen.
Yes I have tried on a Keya and Cotton Heritage with similar results. I am hoping..scratch that...praying that it all lies in the ViperOne and I can resolve this issue. I am going to try a brand new fresh tip first then I am going to tear the viperone apart and see what's going on if the tip doesn't fix it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 8:52:10 AM -   #32 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

New tips have arrived for the ViperOne and it looks like they have changed the material as they are now green.

The old yellow tips were made from Acetal and the new green tips are Polypropylene which makes me wonder if they are more resistant to the PT.

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 10:14:20 AM -   #33 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekay317
New tips have arrived for the ViperOne and it looks like they have changed the material as they are now green.

The old yellow tips were made from Acetal and the new green tips are Polypropylene which makes me wonder if they are more resistant to the PT.
Eric, the tips in a Wagner spray gun are poly. I've been using my gune for 2 years and hardly ever clean the tip. This was discussed in another thread and others using the Wagner sprayer confirmed they've experienced no degradation in the tips.

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 10:19:42 AM -   #34 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I am getting a much more even spray pattern now that I have changed the tips. I test sprayed on a blue paper towel first, which shows the pattern very well...then I moved on to an Athletic Heather Gray shirt which also shows the pattern very well and both looked great. The Athletic Heather Gray shirt printed great but still shows some pitting in the solid white areas. Its MUCH MUCH better than before but still not perfect...I am OCD about the quality of my prints since I charge a premium for my service. I will post a pic in just a second.

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 10:27:09 AM -   #35 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Here is the most recent pics...all after curing. (On an athletic heather shirt)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0167.jpg (1.56 MB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0168.jpg (1.36 MB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0169.jpg (1.49 MB, 69 views)

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 10:46:32 AM -   #36 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John

Nothing wrong with wanting perfection Eric, it's what we all strive to achieve. Unfortunately shirt manufacturers aren't as bothered and often, shirts from the same source can vary.

Grey shirts generally contain a polyester content to which pre-treatment/white ink won't stick. Typically 5% poly content could result in 5% of the design not sticking.

Just a consideration in this particular case.

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 10:55:29 AM -   #37 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Articulate Creation
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

That looks pretty good to me Eric. I doubt you would get a complaint about that. And like John said, that could just be the result of printing on grays now with a little poly in them. You still want me to send u that PDF?

Last edited by jmcgurren; August 13th, 2013 at 12:08 PM..

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 10:59:51 AM -   #38 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgurren
That looks pretty good to me Eric. I doubt you would get a complaint about that. And like John said, that could just be the rest of printing on grays now with a little poly in them. You still want me to send u that PDF?
Maybe I am being to hard on myself...to the average customer they would be great. But as a designer and perfectionist I am looking for flawless and I know thats almost impossible but I have had better prints than this in the past.

Jeff please send me that PDF still...never know I might still tear the PT machine apart.

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 11:23:03 AM -   #39 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

I think AA might just be getting tips somewhere else. I'm working on a new tip and material that are more resistance to pretreatment. Even though tips looks good a lot times is not perfect and that's the different between good and great.

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 11:28:50 AM -   #40 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I got my new tip(s) directly from Brian Walker...AKA the ViperOne MFG. I haven't confirmed it with him but I bet they have gone to a more resilient material this time.

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 1:45:23 PM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Yeah I got the greens ones about month ago, since didn't have viper one logo thought was outsourced. I found the first company that made the yellows, thought was little cheap. I understand the idea of plastic, but I'm working with company to develop a few with different materials. I have calculated the spray angel and orface opening. These will be about triple cost but if as planned should last a year without having to clean with more consistent spray pattern.

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 1:50:35 PM -   #42 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Thanked 1,111 Times in 846 Posts

Eric, I think your most recent prints look fine, and will suffice for this job. If your AA shirts look as good, I would run with it.

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 1:51:55 PM -   #43 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I talked to Brian Walker about the fact they went with Poly over Stainless for the tips and he said that the Poly was more resistant to the PT than stainless. Pretty shocking considering stainless is some pretty stout stuff!! Keep me posted on these new tips and if you need a tester lmk.

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 2:08:50 PM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rob
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Hi Eric,

Those last prints look pretty good but you may want to check the line filter on the Viper, our's was a bit clogged and we were having some similar issues.

We ran the line directly from the canister to the viper as a test (pretreated on color construction paper so we could really see what was going on) which isolated the problem for us.

Rob

Old August 13th, 2013 Aug 13, 2013 3:34:19 PM -   #45 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Thanks for the suggestion Rob...however I have removed the filter over a year ago. I have now removed the spray valve assembly and will be giving it a thorough cleaning tonight. I have several dozen shirts that need to be PT and printed tomorrow so hopefully this will be the last of these issues.

Jeff: Did you notice a large build up of PT when you disassembled the valve?

This is a discussion about Solids are KILLING ME!! that was posted in the NeoFlex section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in