poop on usb cables - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > NeoFlex
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future NeoFlex DTG owners.

poop on usb cables

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 16th, 2013 Feb 16, 2013 3:29:21 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default poop on usb cables

Had asked this within another post (with no results) so here goes...Has anyone used those usb cable extenders, if so is that a viable option to get beyond the 16' limit.. if so how far does that get you..I've heard of other people having problems, and they had to connect directly to the server..Just wondering what thats all about..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2013 Feb 16, 2013 3:48:29 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,476 Posts

Default Re: poop on usb cables

I can't speak for a DTG printer but for large Epson based printer I have much better luck using USB to cat5 adapters. I have a USB about 75' on a epson 4800.

Old February 16th, 2013 Feb 16, 2013 4:12:07 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Shep
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Got to do with drop in signal. USB ports don't produce huge size signals.

Old February 17th, 2013 Feb 17, 2013 4:24:55 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: NeoFather Peter
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,160 Posts

Shorter the better. It is same as electric but worse because we are playing with lower voltage signal. But again, if it works be it with knowing shorter>longer. Not like your wish.
I like 4-5'.
Cheers! Beers ar on me always.

Last edited by allamerican; February 17th, 2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old February 17th, 2013 Feb 17, 2013 12:57:19 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Kevin
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Here's the same answer that I gave you in the other thread when you asked, I just copied and pasted it to here....

You asked,
Well now back to the question I was after, the usb cable length do those extenders really get you off the max. length of 16'.. I've heard others that had problems with the way the cable runs through the bed/ stand then it connects to the server, which they ellimaned and connected directly to the server bypassing the other way.. Oh which by the way I don't know anything about..

Loretta answered...I have heard that you lose detail with longer cables and the longer the cable the more detail you use.. and that's just for regular printers for letters and such. Not sure what one would lose with artwork. I work in the middle of a pile of printers, each with a 6', 8', or 10' cord. I've tried to stay at or below 10' just for that reason.

I clarified with...
You don't loose detail you loose signal strength. When this happens your printer stops printing and acts wierd. The longer the cable the more signal gets lost. You should try to use as short of a cable as possible. Several people have had to plug the usb cable directly into the back of the printer unit bypassing the input jack in the transport table. I have had to do this. I've tried using a shorter cable, bought new cables on several occasions until I finally just plugged directly from the computer to the back of the printer. Not more problems.

Now I just added...
Maybe I just didn't say it plainly, No... usb extenders don't work, it just makes a longer usb cable. Because it's an extender doesn't mean it does anything that lets you get a longer cable with no problems, it's just like having a long cable.
I hope this helps.

Old February 17th, 2013 Feb 17, 2013 1:13:12 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Though I don't have a DTG to play with, I have used active USB extenders with success on non-network printers. I got them from Monoprice.

Old February 17th, 2013 Feb 17, 2013 1:16:26 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Kevin
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Well....... I stand corrected! I've never heard of a "ACTIVE" USB extension cable.

Old February 17th, 2013 Feb 17, 2013 2:25:38 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I have a 20ft Gold Plated USB cable that cost me like $100 and I have yet to have any issues. I plugged mine directly into the back of the printer.

Old February 17th, 2013 Feb 17, 2013 2:42:22 PM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,476 Posts

That's what the USB to cat 5 cables are active. The side that pugs into the PC some have 2 USB ends and some have a jack that plugs into AC. I should have clarified these are the best ones. I have a epson 4800 with a 75' cord.

Old February 17th, 2013 Feb 17, 2013 3:43:02 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Thats what I was after, just didn't clarify it correctly...Sorry there kev didn't read your post. What I was tryin to figure if that was an option as opposed to gettin a laptop, really like everthing where its at but would need to run a little less than 32'.. Excuse me for bein a pia but tryin to get as many pieces into the puzzel as possible.. thats all..

Old February 17th, 2013 Feb 17, 2013 3:49:54 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Eric

Default poop on usb cables

Here's the extender we run all over the place from a regular printer for invoices, an Epson photo 1400, and for a GX-24 with no problems. It's a 15 footer. I think the key is to have the powered extender (it lights up when plugged in).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTShirtForums1361148466.773893.jpg (279.0 KB, 9 views)

This is a discussion about poop on usb cables that was posted in the NeoFlex section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in