What to do with clogged nozzles - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > NeoFlex
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future NeoFlex DTG owners.

What to do with clogged nozzles

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 25th, 2012 Sep 25, 2012 5:47:30 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Articulate Creation
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default What to do with clogged nozzles

As of this morning I had 13 clogged white nozzles. I printed all day and assumed they would come back when I did a nozzle check at the end of the day. Only 3 did. I tried holding a foam swab soaked in a mix of the blue cleaning solution and the Clog prevention solution and I did a few simple cleanings but nothing worked on the 10 that remain clogged. Just wondering what people usually do when this happens. I will call tigers tomorrow but figured I would look for a quicker response.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2012 Sep 25, 2012 6:31:58 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

First, I try, with machine unplugged, moving head to center. Use a small tray with cleaning solution, place on platen or other platform, slide under head then raise platen so about 1/8" of printhead is submerged in fluid. I let it sit for about 15 min then change the fluid, then repeat but let sit for 1 hour. During this period I put solution in the capping station to keep moist.
Then a couple of head cleaning and hopefully u are back up. Second is to remove head, cut a hole in the lid of a plastic sandwich container (tupperware) just big enough for the
business part of the printhead to pass thru. Fill container with cleaning solution, put on lid, sit head on top thru hole. Let soak for an hour or so, then with clean solution use some tubing and syringe to suck thru spikes in top. Fluid goes from bottom of head up. Do not push. If you feel you must push, waterfall, do so only after resistance is the same on all nozzles when sucking. Caution, do not get fluid on connectors or circuit board. If so it must dry for a long time. This is the short version. Note this works on all Epson based printers and is not NeoFlex specific. I do not own a Neo but I am very familiar with them. Hopefully the Tigers will be of more help.

The Following User Says Thank You to spiderx1 For This Useful Post:
jmcgurren (September 25th, 2012)
Old September 25th, 2012 Sep 25, 2012 6:45:05 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Default Re: What to do with clogged nozzles

Thanks Randy the first option sounds easiest I am going to hit the sheets. I will run that one by tech support in the am and possibly try it out!

Old September 25th, 2012 Sep 25, 2012 6:50:24 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Good idea. BTW I use a Nestles Quick lid for a soaking tray when putting under the head on the machine.

Old September 26th, 2012 Sep 26, 2012 5:15:37 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Yea the Nestles Quick lid looks perfect. I didn't even realize I had Nestles Quick.

Old September 26th, 2012 Sep 26, 2012 5:19:47 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Warm cleaning solution works better. Not hot just warm.

Old September 26th, 2012 Sep 26, 2012 5:24:36 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

so do u literally heat it up in the microwave for a couple seconds?

Old September 26th, 2012 Sep 26, 2012 5:26:14 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Yes, just until warm to the touch.

Old September 26th, 2012 Sep 26, 2012 6:16:28 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

To avoid starting a new thread and on the topic of clogged nozzles anyways, I want to ask users, how long do you shake your white ink for every day? I was told about 1 minute does it when I was in training and when I called tech support this a.m. they said I should be doing it for about 5 minutes. 5 minutes seems like a long time. At 7 days a week that is 35 minutes of standing there shaking ink. I also was never advised to shake CMYK ink but they told me today that I should be doing that too... just not as long as whites. Are other users shaking white this long and shaking their CMYK regularly?

Randy, when I called I mentioned that I might try the nestles quick cap and they said that I could delaminate my print head if I do that for too long depending on the concentration of the cleaning solution (don't really understand that I would assume all the solution they sell is the same concentrate). They said probably no longer than 15 minutes but they wouldn't recommend trying it. Still on the fence about what to do on that. As of today I only have about 6 single nozzles out total over all 8 white channels so I am going to try to print it out and do another nozzle check to see what happens. I would like to keep the soaking idea on the back burner though in case nothing else works.

Old September 26th, 2012 Sep 26, 2012 7:07:50 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 846 Posts

first of all, you don't have enough nozzles missing to affect your print...at least you shouldn't. i've had an entire channel of white missing and still been able to get the job done. if you are only missing 6 spots out of all 4 channels, that shouldn't be noticeable.

however, Randy's suggestion of reverse flushing is what i would do. put the head in fluid and suck UP into the syringe. then waterfall to rinse out the head.

i seesaw my white ink carts about 10-15 times back and forth and pop them back in. not even a minute. if you want to pull the color out and give them a shake, go for it. it doesn't take any more time since the printer has to go through the "non-genuine ink..." process anyway.

Old September 26th, 2012 Sep 26, 2012 7:32:34 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Natasha
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Nice advice , usually when my clogs are on the nozzle plate I can see it (like bits of dried ink), in these cases a soak does magic. I have always have a little doubt about something, after all the printing do you do a simple head clean? Or just leave it there and wait for the automatic cleaning to kick in?? Sorry Jmcgurren for asking on your thread!!

Old September 26th, 2012 Sep 26, 2012 7:37:43 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: NeoFather Peter
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Thanked 1,468 Times in 1,160 Posts

Few nozzle off will never effect print quality. Just keep print a lot and it will open itself. Suction is better than waterfall. Safe for not pop glued plate and particle will not completely stuck on nozzle. Once a while flushing out Printhead is not a bad idea to extend Printhead.
Cheers! Beers are on me always. Away 5th day.

Old September 26th, 2012 Sep 26, 2012 8:08:12 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Well, I most certainly do as instructed by the Tigers.
But my experience has been good with the soaking. I have left for up to 24 hours on the machine and 3 days in a tray off the machine. Using a 50/50 windex solution or a solution of 90% water 10% ethylene glycol 10% propylene glycol. I never had a head delaminate due to soaking, I do the same on my Versacamm with a solvent cleaner for 12 hours. I had have many delaminate due to pushing or waterfall. But again the Tigers are the best so follow their instructions. But keep the above info in mind when u have a printhead that you figure is a complete loss anyway. Shaking for 5 min seems like a lot. I like Sean's way, but. I do shake, roll my CMYK but a lot less than the white. White I do daily.

Old September 26th, 2012 Sep 26, 2012 8:23:18 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Hey here is one I have not tried. Use a hand steamer like a Shark. To spray the head just a bit with steam. Looks like to much may cause delamination, but maybe a little. Talked a guy at ISS who swears by it. Does it from below while head is on machine. Anyone got feed back on this.

Old September 26th, 2012 Sep 26, 2012 8:43:42 AM -   #15 (permalink)
VTG
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgurren
they said that I could delaminate my print head if I do that for too long depending on the concentration of the cleaning solution (don't really understand that I would assume all the solution they sell is the same concentrate).
Jeff, some folks are using the AA Cleaning Solution, others may be using Windex or Simple Green ... that's probably what they meant by "depending on the concentration".

This is a discussion about What to do with clogged nozzles that was posted in the NeoFlex section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in