What to do with clogged nozzles - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > NeoFlex
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future NeoFlex DTG owners.

What to do with clogged nozzles

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 1st, 2012 Oct 1, 2012 9:42:14 AM -   #46 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 846 Posts

Default Re: What to do with clogged nozzles

the secret filters are at the base of the nipples that the dampers connect to. if you take a really thin wire and push up from the bottom of the plastic manifold, you'll notice that you can't get the wire all the way to the tip of the nipples. what it's hitting is this mesh filter.

The Following User Says Thank You to 23spiderman For This Useful Post:
spiderx1 (October 1st, 2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2012 Oct 1, 2012 11:52:19 AM -   #47 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Randy
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,024 Times in 673 Posts

all this time and lots of printheads disassembled I had not noticed that. I just jet with cleaning fluid seemed to work. Thanks Guys

Old October 1st, 2012 Oct 1, 2012 3:16:02 PM -   #48 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

OK, now I know, so I took the laser to cut off the nipple and right you are there is a very very fine metal mesh filter. BTW an 18 guage needle will push into the bottom part (normally inside the printhead but with the top piece that comes off when you remove the 3 screws on the bottom.) you can then push fluid opposite direction in hope of flushing that little beauty out. Also if you push with a smaller needle it will puncture the screen. Once again another reason to suck fluid from bottom to top. I see really no other way to clean that filter. Also another reason that one of the first steps after sucking what you can get out, push just about .5ml of fluid in the spike, you are trying to get cleaning solution to soak on top of this secret filter. Great guys thanks again!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to spiderx1 For This Useful Post:
23spiderman (October 1st, 2012)

Old October 1st, 2012 Oct 1, 2012 6:29:51 PM -   #49 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

i'm curious what the white side looked like compared to the cmyk side. was the filter full of sediment?

what i did was constantly massage Simple Green back and forth until i could shoot fluid through the white side as easily as i could on the cmyk side.

i don't remember where i first read about this mesh filter, but i saved me from buying another print head, and i would venture to say that MANY print heads have been purchased when all the user had to do was clean out this plastic manifold. this is why i get irritated when my former printer's tech support would always say to soak the print head. IF the clog is at the nozzle plate, then this would work, but there is no way fluid will somehow make it's way UP the head against the pressure of the carts. especially all the way up to the nipples.

i'm not negating the importance of soaking, but if that doesn't work, or if your clog involves the entire channel, then you need to look at the dampers and the mesh filters in the plastic manifold.

Old October 1st, 2012 Oct 1, 2012 6:43:28 PM -   #50 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Absolutly!! A long time ago I was told to put a small amount of solution into the nipples and let it sit as well. Now I know exactly why. To answer your question I did open up the white side and the cmyk side, there really was not any difference. All looked clean. This head had a delaminted bottom plate due to me getting a little to forceful with the push, yeah the one I say never do. So it had a lot of cleaning done to it. The bottom plate was still the culprit on this one. everything else was spotless.

Old October 2nd, 2012 Oct 2, 2012 8:48:53 AM -   #51 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Articulate Creation
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I just had some free time today to mess around so I took the print head off. I am seeing the nipples you are talking about flushing. So to clean a possible clog within the nipples / mesh filter in there would I just disconnect the actual head from the manifold and then how do you flush from there? Just hook up a tube to the syringe and connect it to the nipple and gently flush cleaning solution through it by pushing? For what Randy was talking about before would I just leave it connected and put it over a cup so the head is just barely sitting in the solution and then suck in with the syringe attached to each nipple.... this is a reverse flush I assume? Is there any time where I am going to enter the damper/print head area from the top by taking off the smoky plastic piece, etc. and not the bottom by flipping the head over? I was trying to figure out how to get my dampers out to check for sludge once I had the plastic manifold taken off. I am curious as to your process for this so I can save myself some money next time so I don't end up doing another power cleaning.

Old October 2nd, 2012 Oct 2, 2012 9:16:34 AM -   #52 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

to remove the dampers, you have to remove parts from the top and still flip the head over to pull them out. AA has a document showing how to do this.

once the head is removed, you can take the 3 screws out that surround the nozzle plate. there is a sealant that connects the print head with the manifold. just carefully wiggle apart. then you'll be able to work on just the plastic manifold and it can take a lot of pressure since it's just plastic tubes with the mesh filter. you should be able to shoot fluid across the room when it's all clear.

The Following User Says Thank You to 23spiderman For This Useful Post:
jmcgurren (October 2nd, 2012)
Old October 2nd, 2012 Oct 2, 2012 9:23:31 AM -   #53 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Great, do you ever soak the nozzle plate once it is off like that?

Old October 2nd, 2012 Oct 2, 2012 9:39:44 AM -   #54 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John

Telly Savalas sang a song;

"If a picture paints a 1000 words .... "

Do we have any pictures?

Cheers

John

Old October 2nd, 2012 Oct 2, 2012 9:52:16 AM -   #55 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgurren
Great, do you ever soak the nozzle plate once it is off like that?
Call Me. I sent you a PM.

Old October 3rd, 2012 Oct 3, 2012 5:05:24 AM -   #56 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Hi guys now were getting there lol ,I have some pics of my dismantled manifold well actually destroyed it to find these filters ,the white side was caked up with sediment the colours were dyed their respective shade ,I have done a lot of research into the dx5 head infact more so than actually doing any printing yet ,the manifold needs to be flushed continually to stand any chance of continual use particularly the white channels ,other reasons of ink starvation are of course the nozzles block very easily ,the dampers also get blocked ,the ink lines too and finally any colours dropping out is usually an airlock in the head caused by keep removing dampers and tubes thats why I guess the bag systems work perfectly ie like the mod1's etc

The Following User Says Thank You to jonmig For This Useful Post:
Stitch-Up (October 3rd, 2012)
Old October 3rd, 2012 Oct 3, 2012 5:13:10 AM -   #57 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmig
Hi guys now were getting there lol ,I have some pics of my dismantled manifold well actually destroyed it to find these filters ,the white side was caked up with sediment the colours were dyed their respective shade ,I have done a lot of research into the dx5 head infact more so than actually doing any printing yet ,the manifold needs to be flushed continually to stand any chance of continual use particularly the white channels ,other reasons of ink starvation are of course the nozzles block very easily ,the dampers also get blocked ,the ink lines too and finally any colours dropping out is usually an airlock in the head caused by keep removing dampers and tubes thats why I guess the bag systems work perfectly ie like the mod1's etc
Geez! It's a wonder they ever work

Pics would be great when you get time.

Thanks

Old October 3rd, 2012 Oct 3, 2012 5:21:30 AM -   #58 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

here you go guys ,the white sediment is underneath the filters!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg medium.jpg (281.6 KB, 73 views)

Old October 3rd, 2012 Oct 3, 2012 5:22:42 AM -   #59 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Yesterday I removed my head and manifold, etc just to get my hands on it. I guess removing it without flushing is a bad idea? I only had it apart for maybe a minute but when I put it back together I did a print and every channel dropped. I would have removed it again and done a reverse flush or something but I never received the plastic tubing with my printer and didn't realize it until the head was apart and I got to that step in the video I was following. So... In the end I had to do yet again another power clean. It was my only option since Home Depot didn't have small enough tubing. I have most of my nozzles back... Maybe 8 out on each channel. I am not mad.... Anymore, haha. It is a learning process all the way I will not make that mistake again. AA is sending me the tubing and I am going to try again when it comes in since I still have a good amount of nozzles out. I tried printing and the prints look fine though.

Old October 3rd, 2012 Oct 3, 2012 5:35:15 AM -   #60 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Heres a cool trick guys ..

When you are having trouble with certain colours, empty the channel out completely of ink ,flush through and fill the plastic bottle with deionised/distilled water,then when you try to bring back the colour print directly onto your platen with just the water and wipe dry each time ,I use Printer Jockey to print each channel separately (called individual ink flush in the programme) this prints a square test area for one colour at a time (see pic) and then when you have finally got the colour back fill the bottle with ink but don't let the system run dry or air locks will appear ,the best way is to close the line clamp whilst the bottle is atleast half full of water,completely empty the water and then fill with ink , remember to open the clamp and then wait for the ink to pull through after the water runs out, this saves wasting all that expensive ink and flushing it away when you can work with just water! (remember it must be deionised/distilled).
Coming back to the airlocks though I did all this with a brand new head with water in all the bottles and had a struggle to get the full 8 channels working straightaway but eventually after priming and ink charging all channels are now firing perfectly and all that I wasted was Water!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (300.4 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by jonmig; October 3rd, 2012 at 07:20 AM..

This is a discussion about What to do with clogged nozzles that was posted in the NeoFlex section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in