Neoflex One Hour Production Cycle - Nonstop Printing - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > NeoFlex
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future NeoFlex DTG owners.

Neoflex One Hour Production Cycle - Nonstop Printing

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 12:03:19 PM -   #46 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Rich
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
Someone asked how Justin was able to line up the platens so quickly. I realized that maybe everyone did not know about how he did it.We bought our Neo through Justin and he and Ricky came to our shop and set it up for us. They put double stick tape on the bed so it was easy just to butt the platen up to the tape and it was in the correct place. I thought that was how it was supposed to be. Well after a while the tape gets ragged so we cut our own strips out of 1/8" pvc and attached them in place with double sided banner tape. Its very clean and durable and even someone like me can get the platens in the correct place. If your not doing this give it a try , it makes things much quicker.
That looks like a great idea. We used electrical tape to frame out the plates but that seems to be a way better idea!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 12:04:59 PM -   #47 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Rich
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderx1
I was at Justin's and watched his tech. The brushing tech was firm, one direction strokes top to bottom. But I would not say hard. Maybe the man himself will pop in and have a better way to put it.
We started out with the foam roller but last year we switched to the Wooster brush and got amazing result. We have not used the roller since!

The Following User Says Thank You to Stripes1 For This Useful Post:
Justin Walker (July 26th, 2012)
Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 1:39:34 PM -   #48 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: Neoflex One Hour Production Cycle - Nonstop Printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
Someone asked how Justin was able to line up the platens so quickly. I realized that maybe everyone did not know about how he did it.We bought our Neo through Justin and he and Ricky came to our shop and set it up for us. They put double stick tape on the bed so it was easy just to butt the platen up to the tape and it was in the correct place. I thought that was how it was supposed to be. Well after a while the tape gets ragged so we cut our own strips out of 1/8" pvc and attached them in place with double sided banner tape. Its very clean and durable and even someone like me can get the platens in the correct place. If your not doing this give it a try , it makes things much quicker.
1/8 pvc? Is that the pipes pvc you cut down? Did you get it at hardware stores?

Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 3:10:56 PM -   #49 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 846 Posts

heavy pressure curing pretreat.

light pressure (i use a little pressure as possible while still allowing the press to touch the shirt) on curing ink.

period!

The Following User Says Thank You to 23spiderman For This Useful Post:
Justin Walker (July 26th, 2012)
Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 4:25:58 PM -   #50 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23spiderman

light pressure (i use a little pressure as possible while still allowing the press to touch the shirt) on curing ink.

period!
350 degrees, 90 secs 2 x's? using what shirt-I use anvil #980, # of dials? 3.5 turns to 3 are all working now-washing 4th time now. AA has med pressure on training sheet, read where some have used heavy, and some light like you.

Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 4:26:36 PM -   #51 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:

period!
also, you use a 'bra' on your press?

Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 5:08:12 PM -   #52 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Justin
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by german13
Cool stuff Justin!!
I think you work more than me..lol You will start working even more with the new baby.. lol they are expensive!! I dont think i ever congratulated you on the new arrival coming soon in all the times we talked, i appologize and a big congrats to you and the misses!! Love the posts on facebook!! the pregnancy snacks!! etc "the taco bell graphic made me laugh for an hour!! .. I have a boy on the way also, due in september my 4th baby!! you will have alot of fun, kids are awesome
I do keep an odd schedule..... I am ready and willing to take on the extra work that comes along with being a daddy; my wife and I have already designed over a dozen baby-themed tees, so at least we're being creatively motivated by the whole situation!! haha

4th baby?? How do YOU find the time, man? Congrats to you, as well.

Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 5:12:33 PM -   #53 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Hey guys! Sorry I have been ridiculously busy recently (even more than usual) - I am working on responses to all the questions I see in this thread, but I just got home and the wifey is hungry; I guess it would be a good idea to stop and eat something (I am like my Grandpa - I rarely get hungry so sometimes I forget to eat)..... I'll be back in a bit, hopefully with adequate answers!

Also, I am working on a few more quick videos to show the technique I used to add the foil and the stones to the design - hopefully I will have those tomorrow!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Walker For This Useful Post:
printer631 (July 26th, 2012), VTG (July 26th, 2012)
Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 5:32:58 PM -   #54 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Stitches
350 degrees, 90 secs 2 x's? using what shirt-I use anvil #980, # of dials? 3.5 turns to 3 are all working now-washing 4th time now. AA has med pressure on training sheet, read where some have used heavy, and some light like you.
i use the sheets supplied by AA and Stahl's Kraft paper. i don't have a bra for my heat press.

i cure for 90 seconds at 330 degrees. recently, i began pressing a 2nd time for 90 seconds (white ink only) since that's what AA recommends.

i use a Wagner spray gun, and mostly the Gildan brand.

the consensus on these forums is to use light pressure when curing ink. you just need contact; not pressure. with white ink, hovering for 20 to 30 seconds can help by gelling the color layer. sometimes i notice a difference and sometimes i don't.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 23spiderman For This Useful Post:
Justin Walker (July 26th, 2012), printer631 (July 26th, 2012)
Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 8:35:34 PM -   #55 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by allamerican
Keep making that big bucks. I am sure you are too busy to read here. Long night again? Where did you find time for having baby? But you managed well lol. Congrat I mark date on my calendar 12/12. You will receive surprise from AA.
Can you show NeoFamily your foil technique? Is it screen print foil or Dtg foil? Your YouTube has 77 visitors. Double lucky seven.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.
There's always time to make a quick baby.

I'll be posting the video of the foil / rhinestone process, tomorrow... We had a lot of fun making the shirts and we learned a lot in the process.

Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 8:52:33 PM -   #56 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
If you have shirts and data for each brand and color, and would be willing to share it-that would be soooooo GREAT!
If you put a chart together, let me know! I would love to post the information on my site.

The problem with trying to pin down specific pretreatment settings is that they will vary slightly for a number of reasons:

1. Different air compressors could produce varying amounts of pressure, causing different volumes of spray to be produced between one shop setup and another. The size and quality of the air compressor (as well as the actual regulator that displays the PSI) could affect how accurate it reads, and even a slight variation could cause you to alter your settings.

2. Similarly, different heat presses could create varying heat output which could also cause you to adjust your settings, slightly. This is why it is important to always double check your heat press using a contact probe thermometer - check multiple spots on the heat plate to ensure you are getting consistent heat distribution, and check daily to monitor for any potential changes.

3. Even within the same product there will often be slight variations from batch to batch or between different sizes (since they are often manufactured in different factories). For most brands, the larger sizes seem to require more pretreatment to achieve the same results, and the results are generally less consistent than the smaller sizes. This requires us to be dynamic in the way we apply the pretreatment chemical, making constant adjustments based on a number of factors.

There are probably many more factors that could cause one person's settings to vary from someone else's, but the point is that we cannot always quantify "exactly" what will work for you; every person must be prepared to spend time, money and resources dialing in their process until it works consistently in their environment, with their specific equipment. However, we can still share our settings to provide people with a "general average" to begin developing their process, saving people time, resources and frustration!

The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Walker For This Useful Post:
VTG (July 27th, 2012)
Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 8:57:25 PM -   #57 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Also, it looks as though Justin pushes the button twice. Someone told me he lays down pretreat lighter,but two coats and that works better for him.
You are correct - for most brands of garments we apply two thinner layers of pretreatment to achieve more consistent coverage. Depending on the product, however, we can sometimes get by with a single layer.

I know this one was answered already, but I wanted to confirm.

The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Walker For This Useful Post:
VTG (July 27th, 2012)
Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 8:58:19 PM -   #58 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderx1
Ok Justin the question is. If printing 3 shirts in high quality mode. Can you load and make it to In and Out before it finishes
Having tested this theory in the past, I can tell you without reservation that this is indeed possible.

Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 9:22:18 PM -   #59 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Hey-can you give me more "secrets":
  1. What style # shirts are they using?
  2. What dial turns are they using for blacks?
  3. What dial turns are they using for white?
  4. Do they press again after pretreat, and then again before they print?
  5. Do they hover for few seconds before pressing when curing or only if the other press is being used when curing for 90 secs?
  6. I have air compressor, psi-are they using light pressure, medium pressure or firm pressure to cure What are the psi equivalents?
  7. Do they press again with no silicon after cure to set it?
  8. If it sitcks, do they press again with no silicon paper?
  9. Do they change the pretreat amount for colors?
  10. How do they do two sides of a shirt?
  11. What environments are they using for shirts, and shirts with colors?
Sorry-not trying to be a jerk with all these questions, just inquiring minds need to know to make better quality shirts the first time and not spend so much on testing.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!
1. We have recently begun private labeling our own brand of t-shirt which we are encouraging all of our clients to switch over to - this has thus far given us the highest print quality with the most consistent results and the greatest print longevity. Alternately, we have encouraged our clients to use Anvil 980 tees in the past due to their decent print quality and low price. In the video I posted, we were printing 64000L Soft Style Ladies Tee - they aren't the best, but it is difficult to find good ladies tees suitable for DTG printing.

2. Here is the "general" dark garment pretreatment breakdown for three of the most popular tees we have been using (using the ViperONE automatic PT machine):
- Anvil 979 (or standard cotton equivalent): 4 turns / 2 passes
- Anvil 980 (or ring spun cotton equivalent): 4 turns / 1 pass
- PHA451 Tee (our own tee): 5 turns / 1 pass
I checked these numbers with my production manager, and he told me that these are the general figures, although we are always making adjustments (we had been using 3 turns for some products, but the longevity of the print was compromised on some items).

3. We usually don't use the ViperONE to pretreat white tees - we use a spray bottle or the Wagner and apply it manually, at the moment (subject to change in the future).

4. We generally press the shirts before pretreating to eliminate wrinkles. Of course if the shirts are smooth and free from stray fibers, we can skip this step. Once the shirt has received the pretreat spray and been brushed, we press it using heavy pressure for about 30 seconds (using Quilon paper). In general we do not need to press after we remove the paper, but if we notice the shirt is not dry we might give it another 10 seconds.

5. This one I answered on the first page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Walker
I am using a Hix "draw press" to hover the shirts (also used for curing the PT fluid), then I move the shirts over to the clamshell press that is just off camera; you will notice that I only place the shirts on the hover press when the clamshell is already backed up (if I don't hover on the draw press, I use the clamshell to hover for a few seconds before fully closing the press for curing).
6. We do not have a pneumatic assist press and our press does not tell us what the pressure is at when we close the top, so I cannot give you a PSI equivalent - I do know that we generally try to keep the PSI in the ViperONE container at or above 40 PSI.

7. We generally don't need to press again after we peel off the paper, unless the fibers are really sticking to it.

8. For mid-range colors (light blue, yellow, kelly green, etc) I believe we use the same volume settings, but we cut the pretreatment down to around 60/40 (I will have to double check with my production manager).

9. We do two sides of the shirt the same way we do one side of a shirt - except we do it twice.

10. The RIP specifics are something you would need to cover with AA - that is a lot of info to cover, in terms of various adjustments you could subjectively make (Color Boost, varying levels of under base volume and other RIP settings). In general, we use the default Hi-Resolution environment for black garments, the Dark Garment color profile for all non-black colors, and the Dual-CMYK environment for our Dual-CMYK printer. Keep in mind you might want to change your under base and highlight percentage, or even the Color Boost setting, based on various products, brands, colors, etc.

NOTE: Keep in mind I am writing this on very little sleep and I am not bothering to go back and proof read anything, so if I have any embarrassing typos or if I miss any information, let me know or I will catch it later.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justin Walker For This Useful Post:
23spiderman (July 27th, 2012), jmcgurren (July 27th, 2012), MO70 (August 1st, 2012), printer631 (July 27th, 2012), VTG (July 27th, 2012)
Old July 26th, 2012 Jul 26, 2012 9:23:05 PM -   #60 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:

period!
Exactly!

This is a discussion about Neoflex One Hour Production Cycle - Nonstop Printing that was posted in the NeoFlex section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in