Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Buying > Need Help Finding a T-Shirt DESIGN
If you have seen a t-shirt design somewhere or used to have a favorite t-shirt and don't know where to buy it again, post here and see if one of our fellow members can help you locate it. This is for searches for a single t-shirt to buy retail, use the wholesale t-shirts forum for help sourcing a particular brand or style.

new to t shirt design...any advice?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Signature Series
  • 1 Post By FantasTico

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 27th, 2019 Jan 27, 2019 1:55:22 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default new to t shirt design...any advice?

Hi everyone I'm new to t shirt design and still on the fence as to do it in my apartment or not. as for this post it has to do with making designs....im not good with making my own art sense I wasn't good in art class. I am good with making funny sayings and could probably whip something up in my Silhouette Studio program. But outside of that what is the general concession on cloning T shirt designs or images from the web? is this a bad idea?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2019 Jan 27, 2019 2:09:32 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mad Scientist
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: new to t shirt design...any advice?

[QUOTE But outside of that what is the general concession on cloning T shirt designs or images from the web? is this a bad idea?[/QUOTE]

BAD IDEA! Copyrighted or trademarked images grabbed off the internet will land you in a heap of trouble.

Old January 27th, 2019 Jan 27, 2019 2:16:02 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Michele

Unless you have written permission to use someone elses design, don't do it. If you go into the Sillhouette store you'll see that many of the designs have an option to purchase for commercial use...you'll also find this on many clipart sites. Of course, the design will cost you more because the artist SHOULD be paid for their work.

Be sure to carefully read the sellers policies on designs purchased for cemmercial use, and follow it to the letter. It will save you grief in the long run.

Old January 28th, 2019 Jan 28, 2019 7:14:59 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Most important! Before even thinking about starting a t-shirt business in an already overcrowded market with low margins think on how you are going to sell them, to whom and for how much. Countless people before you and surely countless after you get all excited about making shirts yet have no experience or knowledge on how to sell them. If you do not have professional sales/marketing experience stop now and save yourself a lot of time and money.

Old March 19th, 2019 Mar 19, 2019 11:53:18 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: simple

tips for creating better T-shirt designs
Take time to explore your concept. Electric Zombie tee by Derek Deal has loads of colour and loads of detail. ...
Imagine the design on a T-shirt. ...
Detail is king but keep things simple. ...
Consider your market. ...
Keep your humour subtle. ...
Choose the right colours. ...
Prepare your artwork properly. ...
Source a good printer.

Old March 20th, 2019 Mar 20, 2019 5:42:18 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

BAD IDEA! You've heard the expression "A picture (image or design) is worth a thousand words" It can also be worth thousands of dollars to the person who is suing you for copyright infringement. According to the United States Copyright Office's (USCO) Copyright is secured automatically when the work is "created" fixed in copy or phonorecord for the first time. If you download an image and copy it without the owner's permission you have broken the law. Do you homework before you proceed: www.copyright.gov Speaking from 45+ years of experience Good Luck!

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 4:00:22 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Hi! Yeah, this would be a pretty bad idea, since you`re violating copyright terms. I`m in this printing business for almost 7 years and I usually go for bundles. My sources is Tshirt Factory and sometimes Graphic Loot, but you can search also for others. I stuck to those because I really like the artwork from their vendors.
In what concerns my tshirt designing tool, I`m using the one from vectorartmedia, cuz is really user and pocket friendly comparing to others.

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 9:05:10 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

If you decide to go forward and start a tshirt line, first of all go simple. By that I mean simple designs, 1-2max color graphics. (unless you arevoutsourcing for tees to be printed of a printer, but that costs way more). That will cost you less to design if you outsource that part as well as in the production process. That way you are not risking as much money. I went the hard way, my first designs were 2-4 colors and it cost me so much for the sample run to outsource, which is why I decided to screen print myself after that. And after, if it works, time will show, you can go crazy will colors. But my biggest advice would be marketing. There are great products that rot and sometimes garbage that sells.
If you don't know how or where to sell, even if your product is great, don't do it. Marketing / selling is 90% of this business, no matter how good your product is.
into the T likes this.

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 11:34:03 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

freelance graphic designers will typically create designs based on your ideas for a decent price

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 11:36:48 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasTico
If you don't know how or where to sell, even if your product is great, don't do it. Marketing / selling is 90% of this business, no matter how good your product is.
This should be a sticky. Too many people fall for the dye sub seminars on how to make millions from schools, churches, etc and start a business only to disappear in months.

Again if you do not have the desire and skill set to sell and market nothing else matters.

Old 3 Days Ago Jun 20, 2019 4:15:35 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

if you're an idea person, but not an artist, you could always use public domain images.

as i understand it... ANYTHING on a government site is public domain, as your taxes pay for it, so you could find a lot of stuff like pics of military hardware and NASA images, national parks & landmarks, and if you dig deep enough... probably a lot more as the government is involved in almost everything. say you wanted a pic of a motorcycle... you might find one on a site about safety standards.

there are websites that SPECIALIZE in public domain images.

also, there are "license free" websites that can have some amazing pics & illustrations. pixabay is one of the biggest, but there are dozens of others.

finally... just get a camera and take pics of what you need... then... teach yourself to use a lasso tool to cut your image out from the background. i'm pretty sure even CLUNKY (but free) gimp 2 has a lasso tool, and would let you add text etc.

check thriftshops out! i picked an older copy of photoshop lite up for just $2 and have also scored a copy of corel draw that was really old a decade ago at a thrift shop too.

i have a copy of manga studio i haven't used much as it's really deep, but it's an excellent and CHEAP program that even illustrator users have switched to. you're going to need some kind of program that lets you place & size text.

the easiest and CHEAPEST route is to just stick to text and burn your own 1 color silk screens. if you can sell your ideas, that's going to give you the highest profit margin. i like DTG myself as you can print one tee at a time as needed and the process is full color, BUT it's expensive to either buy printers or have others print for you.

i'm about to start shopping for DTG fulfillment again after the printer i'd planned on using raised their prices so it'd cost me about $18 to ship a $20 design.

anyways hope that helps.

the BEST art though, costs money. there's at least one image i want to license, but at $80... i'd have to sell a bunch of shirts just to break even.

learning about marketing, as mentioned, is important. it's hard to get customers when you're on google page 12 ahead of giant corporations, paid results, and businesses that have had social media presence for decades.

i'd suggest reading some business books, and if you're going to have a website, look into search engine optimization too. i posted a thread on the best books i've read with ratings & comments so you don't have to waste your time on dozens of crappy books like i've done too.

check it out here:
https://www.t-shirtforums.com/ecomme...n/t564266.html

Old 2 Days Ago Jun 21, 2019 12:37:28 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasTico
This should be a sticky. Too many people fall for the dye sub seminars on how to make millions from schools, churches, etc and start a business only to disappear in months.

Again if you do not have the desire and skill set to sell and market nothing else matters.
Couldn't agree more.

'Jack of all trades, master of none' springs to mind.

This is a discussion about new to t shirt design...any advice? that was posted in the Need Help Finding a T-Shirt DESIGN section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in