Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Buying > Need Help Finding a T-Shirt DESIGN
If you have seen a t-shirt design somewhere or used to have a favorite t-shirt and don't know where to buy it again, post here and see if one of our fellow members can help you locate it. This is for searches for a single t-shirt to buy retail, use the wholesale t-shirts forum for help sourcing a particular brand or style.

How well do 50/50 shirts work for dye-sub?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 5th, 2006 Aug 5, 2006 12:59:39 PM -   #1 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,073 Posts

Default How well do 50/50 shirts work for dye-sub?

Do I need at least a 65% poly blend or will 50/50 work for dye submlimation for shirts? Is there a performance difference?

How much should I expect to pay for a 5.6oz T in 65% poly or better blend? Assume case pricing but not in the 1000's of shirts at a time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2006 Aug 5, 2006 1:18:21 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default Re: How well do 50/50 shirts work for dye-sub?

Since dye sublimation depends on the poly to bond, the higher % will give you better results. Hanes makes a shirt with an outer polyshell and 100% cotton liner specifically for sublimation printing. If you do a dye sublimation search on the net you are gonna find them pretty quick. I think a 50/50 shirt will work but the higher count poly shirts we net better results.

Old August 5th, 2006 Aug 5, 2006 2:33:24 PM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Thanks for the info. I am interested in the performance of the 50/50 since it is much less expensive than higher poly% that I have found so far.

Old August 6th, 2006 Aug 6, 2006 5:46:10 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tania
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Hi Binki!

I'll try to attach some pictures to showcase the difference.

On 100% poly shirts the design will be very vivid and vibrant and will last as long as the garment itself.

The design on 50/50 t-shirt will look washed off and faded even before the 1st wash.

As mentioned many times on the forums, there are Hanes 50/50 t-shirts - 100% poyester outer layer and 100% cotton inside. The disadvantage (from my point of view) is that they are too thick, they pill and make you sweat.

Textile industry is rapidly adapting to active life-style and technological changes - there are now stain-repelling, anti-wrinkle, moisture-wicking, odour-resistant, temperature-controlling (etc., etc.,...) fabrics on the market.
Most of them are man-made (synthetic), the rest are coated for enhanced performance. To top it off - there is polyester that looks and feels like cotton, polyester that feels like second skin... polyester that defies the definition of polyster.

If you choose dye-sublimation as your preferred decorating method because you want to deliver full-colour PERMANENT designs (no minimum order, no set-up fees, photo-quality prints - you know?) - you shouldn't be compromising it with the quality of your t-shirt.
Like our mum's and dad's told us (me, anyway) - if you choose to do something - do it properly or don't waste you time.

How you will market your shirts - is a different story all together...

Best of luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sonic1.jpg (35.2 KB, 915 views)
File Type: jpg sonic2.jpg (38.0 KB, 779 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to D.Evo. For This Useful Post:
nealers77 (June 11th, 2009)
Old August 6th, 2006 Aug 6, 2006 5:57:34 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Forgot to specify:
on the left (faded Sonic): 50/50 t-shirt, never washed.
on the right (brighter Sonic) - cotton-looking polyester t-shirt, worn by 10-year-old boy (!) for a year and washed more than 50 times.

Old August 8th, 2006 Aug 8, 2006 3:55:40 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

DEvo,

Thanks for the 411. That is the comparison that I was looking for.

Old August 9th, 2006 Aug 9, 2006 3:33:02 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Is it true that 100 % polyester shirts are more uncomfortable in hot weather than cotton ?
And, won't pigmented inks print on any shirt, last extra long time and still look good ?

Old August 9th, 2006 Aug 9, 2006 4:54:54 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

[quote=taurusndixie]Is it true that 100 % polyester shirts are more uncomfortable in hot weather than cotton ?
quote]

It used to be that way.

If you Google "performance fabrics" or "performance fabrics for sublimation" you will see some dramatic changes.

I'm using 100% performance t-shirts made with Intera yarn - the fabric is changed on the molecular level to provide permanent moisture-wicking properties and temperature control.

Follow the link for some technical info on fabric:
http://www.interacorp.com/advantages.html

Here are some articles about t-shirts made of it:
http://www.director-e.com/trade/feat...&featureID=121

http://www.printwearandpromotion.co....limation_.html

So far my biggest orders were for casual and active wear in hottest parts of Australia and from adventure races, gyms and sporting organisations.

Sorry, can't comment on pigmented inks - I'm yet to experiment with this decorating method myself.

Old August 9th, 2006 Aug 9, 2006 5:44:49 AM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

We are concerned about comfort of the full poly shirts and the poly outside/cotton inside shirts. I will try some of these myself as it is hot as all get-out here also.

This is a discussion about How well do 50/50 shirts work for dye-sub? that was posted in the Need Help Finding a T-Shirt DESIGN section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in