T-Shirt Forums banner

New I-dot prints FINALLY!!!!

[M & R i-Dot] 
16K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  cornpopps 
#1 ·
So after some months of working with Anthony over at DTG Printer Parts, a new head, new dampers, capping station and fresh Firebird inks... I have the I-dot purring.
Its a first gen. I-dot and has some pretty cool features. An auto reset for the cartridges and maint tank from the menu(no reset chip needed). Auto clean and nozzle checks that I can set to every couple hours that the machine is not in use to keep the ink agitated. A pretty decent RIP with time and ink cost calc. The stock computer keeps everything locked in while running Win XP(not connected to the internet).
Still learning all the little nuances of the RIP but M&R still fully supports this machine and even offers a class, just have to make my way to IL.

Below pics is a sample and were not mass produced or resold, but printed to demonstrate the printers capabilities.

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a nice print!
I am planning to start using FB inks. Are you using all firebirds products? (pretreatment, cmyk, white ink.) What is the brand's and type of shirt you are showing here? Have you done the test wash on this particular shirt? Did you ever use Dupont ink and if so would you share any recommendations on how to do the transition .
Sorry for so many questions at once; please don't feel the need to answer all at once. I own a 2nd generation Idot. When I first got it, my love for it lasted only 3 weeks.:(
After that, I hated it for several months:mad: to finally married myself to this machine.:p
It is a great machine! not quite perfect but I love her! :D Im finally making a profit and at times I get overwhelm with orders.
Thank you for your post!:)

#3 ·
Using all Firerd inks cmyk and whites. I had some old Dupont inks and put them in and it ended clogging my head, not the inks fault I was just eager and didn't check any dates. Using Image Armor light and dark with an auto pre treat machine.
I agree it's not perfect but it's getting the job done.

#7 ·
thanks for the replies! Kind of busy here.
Jerzees? mm! I worked with some in the past but didn't have good results. Now I am using gildan 2000 and triple A. any testing on the washability? Not sure how long you have with your machine but when I moved mine to the basement humidity was a big factor. 50f/55f seems to do the trick for this machine. I read when you print white FB ink and then you stretched the shirt, you get some kind of elasticity. have you experience this?

#8 ·
Have you used the Hi DensiT version of the Jerzees? Its a tight wind and lays real flat and the price is great. Havent tried stretching it yet but I will when I find it.
I have about 4 wash cycles on it now I will see if I can get some pics up, I think my kid stole it:)
Out here in So Cal this week we are at our 3rd day of 95+heat and single digit humidity. I have a humidifier but I can't get it past 35%. This morning one White nozzle was at about 80% so I had to fill the capping station while the printer was turned off and let it sit about 30min. A couple cleanings and back up to 100%. Still at 30% humidity so we will see what happens but so far so good.

#9 ·
Jerzees Hi-DensiT's are the best or DTG... Not the most comfortable tees, but made for DTG and screenprinters alike. Fibers don't rise at all... Recently printed on 55 of them and am really considering switching from the FOTL HD6 - which are very similar, just more expensive. They wont stretch much at all.

#11 ·
[QUOTE
Thats one thing that our Freejet has really taught us, it has an overly efficient (but very useful) plumbing system and it's sole purpose is to wet the printhead while not in use. Every machine should be equipped with that feature, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Thanks T, I was wondering about that. The I-dot has an option where you can program cleaning and nozzle checks. For instance I have it doing an auto nozzle check every 4 hours and a auto clean every 6 hours to keep the ink agitated when the printer is not in use.
It doesn't do a normal 4880 wide bar nozzle check but a small 6 line print using minimal ink. I will keep the wetcap option in mind on really hot and dry days and nights.:D

My humidifier is an evaporative type so no steam. I do hate how much energy my humidifier takes up so I would be glad to get rid of it or at least minimize its use.

#18 ·
Wow, still printing with a used first gen I-dot since 2014.

This printer has been a great investment and still prints great. Built like a tank and the Kothari rip has kept it relevant.

It's print speeds are of coarse slower then the new line of printers but I would still put it up against anything as far as print quality.

I have since moved to Image Armor inks and pre-treat with great success.

Hopefully I can update again in another 3 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.