[Kornit General] Kornit 1000 ICC profile - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Kornit
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Kornit DTG owners.

[Kornit General] Kornit 1000 ICC profile

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By forfin

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 19th, 2018 Jul 19, 2018 7:32:49 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Kornit 1000 ICC profile

Hi,

I'm currently trying to set up a t-shirt business. I've sent some test prints off and the colours are coming back looking muddy, the reds are massively over-saturated etc.

The printer that I'm working with uses a Kornit Avalanche 1000 to print. I've asked them for access to an ICC profile, but they wont help.

Does anyone have access to an ICC profile for this machine so that I can use soft-proofing to get better colour results?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2018 Jul 19, 2018 10:27:00 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Default Re: Kornit 1000 ICC profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by forfin
Hi,

I'm currently trying to set up a t-shirt business. I've sent some test prints off and the colours are coming back looking muddy, the reds are massively over-saturated etc.

The printer that I'm working with uses a Kornit Avalanche 1000 to print. I've asked them for access to an ICC profile, but they wont help.

Does anyone have access to an ICC profile for this machine so that I can use soft-proofing to get better colour results?

Cheers
I don't think any 'printer' will allow a client to adjust the ICC profile.

How about asking the firm what are their suggestions for changing the images.

Old July 20th, 2018 Jul 20, 2018 4:37:50 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hey man,

I don't want to change what their ICC profile is. I just want access to it so that I can soft-proof in Photoshop, see how my design will look when printed using their ICC profile and then make the appropriate adjustments to colour and tone to get the result I want.

The only design advice I get is to create in CMYK

Old July 20th, 2018 Jul 20, 2018 2:17:33 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Hey man,

I don't want to change what their ICC profile is. I just want access to it so that I can soft-proof in Photoshop, see how my design will look when printed using their ICC profile and then make the appropriate adjustments to colour and tone to get the result I want.

The only design advice I get is to create in CMYK
"Create in CMYK" is generally bull****, as the driver/RIP expects RGB input and translates that to CMYK based upon the capabilities of the printer.

I've looked for this before and not found one. Perhaps nothing available outside of Kornit's own software ...
In any case, it seems the best we can do is softproof with a generic CMYK profile.

My own experience is that the reds/oranges lose midtone and shadow detail. Worst print ever had a tangerine with a gradation of tones from the lighting, and shadowed tones in the dimples of the skin--those both vanished. Just an orange blob with some bright white highlights at the top

My best guess is need to increase the intensity of the shadows and add a bit of green (maybe?) to them to shift them further away from orange/red. I haven't bothered trying to fix that design, as I don't want to pay for another sample--easier just to write that one off as a loss and move on.

The Following User Says Thank You to NoXid For This Useful Post:
NZACO (July 21st, 2018)
Old July 21st, 2018 Jul 21, 2018 6:07:29 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I'd be willing to buy the Kornit software if it was possible to get it without a printer, but it doesn't look like it is.

Doesn't look like I can even pay to have a custom ICC profile made because I'm not in control of the printer so I can't get them to switch 'colour management' off before printing a colour test.

Makes no sense to me why manufacturers and third-party printers aren't willing to give this information out. Without it, I'm working blind. With it, I can make sure that the printed design more closely matches what's on the screen, so return rates will be lower, customer satisfaction is higher etc.
NoXid likes this.

Old July 21st, 2018 Jul 21, 2018 1:51:12 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
I'd be willing to buy the Kornit software if it was possible to get it without a printer, but it doesn't look like it is.

Doesn't look like I can even pay to have a custom ICC profile made because I'm not in control of the printer so I can't get them to switch 'colour management' off before printing a colour test.

Makes no sense to me why manufacturers and third-party printers aren't willing to give this information out. Without it, I'm working blind. With it, I can make sure that the printed design more closely matches what's on the screen, so return rates will be lower, customer satisfaction is higher etc.
I have a friend who works at one of the well-known PODs. Some of the largest customers get all of their work run on the same printer, or set of printers, from which they have obtained samples and adjusted their art/process to work with. Smaller customers are SOL. That's life in the POD world.

Old August 28th, 2018 Aug 28, 2018 6:49:26 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Scott

Your best bet is to speak to the workflow person at the POD facility and ask them if they have their printers linearized. Even if you run a custom ICC profile the CMYK density output on press needs to be set correctly before creating the profile. So many people run these machines and don't understand the importance of color management.

The Following User Says Thank You to scotthydra For This Useful Post:
NZACO (September 3rd, 2018)
Old September 12th, 2018 Sep 12, 2018 11:28:17 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Sébastien

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers
Hello !

I am an expert in file preparation for kornit machine, maybe I can help you.

This is a discussion about Kornit 1000 ICC profile that was posted in the Kornit section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in