[Kornit 931] Polyester Drying - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Kornit
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Kornit DTG owners.

[Kornit 931] Polyester Drying

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By mikejmance
  • 1 Post By coriewright1979

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 24th, 2016 Aug 24, 2016 3:17:56 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Corie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Polyester Drying

Has anybody had any drying issues when it comes to printing on a 100% polyester garment? Currently we are using a M&R Sprint 2000 dryer and either the polyester shirts are coming out either too tacky/sticky or to dry. I cannot find the middle ground. It's getting frustrating as more and more customers are wanting the lighter polyester fabric and the design prints great but it just doesn't dry correctly. Any suggestions will help.

Kornit Storm II & Kornit Storm 931DS

Currently dry settings for dark polyester shirts:
240* @ 6 min; 2 times through the dryer
230* is to tacky, same with 220*

Thanks
Corie Wright
GO USA Inc.
Wenatchee, Washington

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2016 Aug 29, 2016 10:28:32 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Polyester Drying

Try 275 (fahrenheit) @ 12 minute belt speed.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikejmance For This Useful Post:
coriewright1979 (September 1st, 2016)
Old September 1st, 2016 Sep 1, 2016 6:30:10 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejmance
Try 275 (fahrenheit) @ 12 minute belt speed.
Are you using single white or double white when printing on Polyester? Single white at that temp will crack and I have had the same experience with Double white. Problem I'm running into is the belt speed only goes up to 8 min! Any other suggestions?

Old September 1st, 2016 Sep 1, 2016 6:51:44 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

We are using a double base for Nike Pro Combat Speed Jersey Black & White. We have also dealt with cracking in our testing but dialed it back to over fixation of the garment. Once we dialed the fixation back 30% the cracking disappeared. We have been very successful printing on crazy sports apparel.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikejmance For This Useful Post:
coriewright1979 (September 1st, 2016)
Old September 1st, 2016 Sep 1, 2016 6:57:05 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
We are using a double base for Nike Pro Combat Speed Jersey Black & White. We have also dealt with cracking in our testing but dialed it back to over fixation of the garment. Once we dialed the fixation back 30% the cracking disappeared. We have been very successful printing on crazy sports apparel.
What is the amount of fixation you have been using? With the ambient humidity in our dryer room and printing room, 80% fixation seems to work best for us depending on the polyester garment. Since they are all different sometime we have to go up to 90% in order for the design to print correctly. Again, any good suggestions will help!

Thank you

Corie

Old September 1st, 2016 Sep 1, 2016 7:02:54 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

We are right around 80% as well. We were initially spraying twice with fixation once at 80% and then added 30% on the 2nd hit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0939.JPG (587.0 KB, 53 views)

Old September 6th, 2016 Sep 6, 2016 3:26:29 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

what are the print settings for this one? how much white ?? When i print the polyester color often breaks through white color, but it seem the curing is important for polyester... slower with smaller temp.. ?

Old September 26th, 2016 Sep 26, 2016 1:50:30 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivis
what are the print settings for this one? how much white ?? When i print the polyester color often breaks through white color, but it seem the curing is important for polyester... slower with smaller temp.. ?
Since I have been using the Kornit Storm II, My print settings for poly are:

Highlight: 40%
White under light:70%
White under Dark: 50%

80% - 90% spray (depending on type of polyester)

Our Dryer is the M&R Sprint2000 so I have been drying it at 240 degrees for 12 min and they have been coming out perfect now without any issues. any longer than 12 min and it starts to crack.

The Following User Says Thank You to coriewright1979 For This Useful Post:
Raivis (September 26th, 2016)
Old September 26th, 2016 Sep 26, 2016 10:29:36 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks, seems I need to try it out !!!

You put through the dryer several times ?? or you can set the belt speed very slow?
And it's double white layer ?
And the tempereture must be in Farenheit?? <-- Just cheking

Old September 27th, 2016 Sep 27, 2016 12:01:35 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You put through the dryer several times ?? or you can set the belt speed very slow?

Old September 27th, 2016 Sep 27, 2016 7:01:13 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivis

Before we print, all polyester goes through the dryer first. This sets any dye's from the manufacturer in the shirt to help eliminate die migration from the shirt to the primary white layer of ink.

We have the dryer set at 6 min and it goes through twice after printing. Our dryer only slows down to 8 min so we have to put it through twice in order to cure properly.

I always run polyester at double white! This insures that you don't get die migration like I mentioned above.

Temperature is in Fahrenheit. But if need be you can convert to Celsius if need be.

The Following User Says Thank You to coriewright1979 For This Useful Post:
Raivis (September 27th, 2016)
Old September 29th, 2016 Sep 29, 2016 9:03:09 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
We are right around 80% as well. We were initially spraying twice with fixation once at 80% and then added 30% on the 2nd hit.
Mike and Corie, this is a great thread, thank you for sharing. @mikejmance Would you be able to describe what you mean by double fixation hit? Are you doing a spray and wipe at 80%, and then another spray and wipe at 30% immediately after, or what do you mean exactly? Many thanks in advance.

Have been toying with polyester and have not had much luck thus far (on a Breeze 921 with varying printing tests for fixation and underbase, with the Adelco drawer dryer, 295F @ 8:30 - 10:30, and a few other times/temps).

Old September 29th, 2016 Sep 29, 2016 12:40:46 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTactics
Mike and Corie, this is a great thread, thank you for sharing. @mikejmance Would you be able to describe what you mean by double fixation hit? Are you doing a spray and wipe at 80%, and then another spray and wipe at 30% immediately after, or what do you mean exactly? Many thanks in advance.

Have been toying with polyester and have not had much luck thus far (on a Breeze 921 with varying printing tests for fixation and underbase, with the Adelco drawer dryer, 295F @ 8:30 - 10:30, and a few other times/temps).
On the Storm II, you have the option to send the garment into spray first before hitting the green buttons and sending it in for a normal print. There are some sweatshirts that I have to use 120% fixation to 130% fixation in order to get the coverage like I need (after drying you will see the ink has dried through the pits of the shirt).

In the QuickP software their is an arrow pointing to the right, next to the stop/pause buttons. I just open that up and if I need to add extra fixation, I can.

Old September 22nd, 2018 Sep 22, 2018 4:24:22 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Carolyn

How are you stopping the tackiness once cured

Old September 28th, 2018 Sep 28, 2018 5:56:42 PM -   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: Chuck

It's needs to be 280 degrees. The dryer being set to the lowest speed/voltage already going to the motor. You might try switching gears on drive to slow belt more while delivering more voltage to the motor. So, motor can run faster and cool itself better.

This is a discussion about Polyester Drying that was posted in the Kornit section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in