[Kornit General] Advice Needed - Buying Used Kornit Storm - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Kornit
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Kornit DTG owners.

[Kornit General] Advice Needed - Buying Used Kornit Storm

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 5th, 2016 Apr 5, 2016 12:03:44 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Advice Needed - Buying Used Kornit Storm

Hello,

I am currently looking to purchase a kornit printer, either avalanche or storm. The avalanche is veryyy expensive so we decided to hold off on the avalanche as make this our second kornit purchase a few months down the line as new is too expensive and we cant find any used ones anywhere in the US for sale.

The storm we have found for sale, about 5 year old plus models that all claim to work great, one was on ebay, few others I found on forums etc. I plan on visiting the kornit machine before purchasing and also getting a kornit technican to come with me. I figured thats the best so he can inspect the machine and tell me if I need to repair anything and the life of the machine... I am able to get a used kornit storm for about 50k is the going price up or down.

So my question is anyone have experience or any advice on going this route, or would you still suggest buying a new machine for 200k instead and financing it? I figured if I buy a used kornit thats in working condition, the worst that could happen is i have to repair a few things on it down the road, but I dont see it costing me anywhere near 150k plus for the repairs to make it even with buying a new one.

Any experiences first hand with this and anything I should look out for?

Also side note, do you have to buy an adelco gas dryer for kornit dtg printers or can I get a brown 9 foot oven gas dryer (looks similiar) for about 70 percent cheaper?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2016 Jul 15, 2016 4:51:55 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Advice Needed - Buying Used Kornit Storm

Hey admedia,

Where you able to locate a used Kornit Avalanche? I am interested in purchasing a used Avalanche but they are really hard to find at the moment.

Old August 16th, 2016 Aug 16, 2016 12:01:59 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Corie

Quote:
Originally Posted by admedia
Hello,

I am currently looking to purchase a kornit printer, either avalanche or storm. The avalanche is veryyy expensive so we decided to hold off on the avalanche as make this our second kornit purchase a few months down the line as new is too expensive and we cant find any used ones anywhere in the US for sale.

The storm we have found for sale, about 5 year old plus models that all claim to work great, one was on ebay, few others I found on forums etc. I plan on visiting the kornit machine before purchasing and also getting a kornit technican to come with me. I figured thats the best so he can inspect the machine and tell me if I need to repair anything and the life of the machine... I am able to get a used kornit storm for about 50k is the going price up or down.

So my question is anyone have experience or any advice on going this route, or would you still suggest buying a new machine for 200k instead and financing it? I figured if I buy a used kornit thats in working condition, the worst that could happen is i have to repair a few things on it down the road, but I dont see it costing me anywhere near 150k plus for the repairs to make it even with buying a new one.

Any experiences first hand with this and anything I should look out for?

Also side note, do you have to buy an adelco gas dryer for kornit dtg printers or can I get a brown 9 foot oven gas dryer (looks similiar) for about 70 percent cheaper?
It all depends on the printer that you are interested in. Me personally, I wouldn't by anything past the Kornit Storm II 931 Series. Parts are still available as well as being able to upgrade the OS from 32-bit Windows XP to 64-bit Windows 7. We have upgraded our machine to Windows 7 and have 8GB of RAM vs the 4GB and the machine runs flawless.

Previous machines will be stuck running Windows XP which will freeze consistantly when printing garments. $50k is a good price for a used machine! Well worth the purchase especially if it was a first gen model that you can spend a little extra money on and upgrade!

Old August 17th, 2016 Aug 17, 2016 7:00:49 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Todd

We just sold our Kornit Storm earlier this year and had a real hard time selling it, finally sold for about $35K. As far as the dryer, you can use any brand of dryer just so you can get the garments to the right temp for the right amount of time. That was the hardest thing for us because our Kornit was in an enclosed room but the dryer was not so depending on the ambient temp & humidity in our shop we were constantly having to adjust dryer time/temp. Also you want to do everything you can to run that machine as many hours a day as possible and make sure to print something every day if you can or the nozzles will clog up.

Old March 23rd, 2017 Mar 23, 2017 2:06:03 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Brandon

Our experience with Kornit products has been constant things dying - they are always small but the time put into maintaining them is very high. I just don't suggest it - the ROI numbers don't take into account how long you will spend working on them.

Old March 23rd, 2017 Mar 23, 2017 2:06:37 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Brandon

Oh - and this time our Main Board went down. The price to fix is about half what the machine is worth at this point - so we are just parting it out as we can...

Old March 25th, 2017 Mar 25, 2017 10:03:47 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanks for the advice guys, I went with a different printer than Kornit due to all the complaints. Also it seems used is really risky for an industrial DTG.

This is a discussion about Advice Needed - Buying Used Kornit Storm that was posted in the Kornit section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in