[Kornit General] MaGuyvering a Kornit Breeze. - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Kornit
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Kornit DTG owners.

[Kornit General] MaGuyvering a Kornit Breeze.

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 22nd, 2013 Oct 22, 2013 8:11:00 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default MaGuyvering a Kornit Breeze.

If you have read some of my posts you may have noticed a good portion are about the spray regulator or just spray system in general on my Kornit Breeze. This post is no different lol. So after all my work on my spray regulator to clean the goop out of it and making it work and it worked fine for awhile, The spray regulator got it into it's head it wanted to be a fountain at the Bellagio. Fixation was spraying all over the inside of the machine (Luckily nothing important got soaked). So as a tinkerer I took it all apart and the O-Ring inside the regulator was shot. I'm not sure but I think the acidic value of the pretreat just ate it away because when I took it out it just crumbled. So I gave Kornit a call and asked if they had a replacement for the O-Ring. They did not saying I needed to buy a new regulator. And that's $180. That's one expensive O-Ring. So I held off from ordering it and decided to go to Home Depot. After a half hour of wandering in Lawn in Garden for a hose O-Ring I made my way to the plumbing section and looked through the faucet section and after some fiddling around and comparing different O-rings I find one that's identical and made from materials that acids won't eat at. So next day I installed it and it's been working like a champ better then new even. It's been 2 weeks since I put in the O-Ring and it cost me $3.90 because it was a 12 pack. Just thought I'd share with anyone incase something like that has happened to some one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghoster32111 For This Useful Post:
bathbiggles (April 24th, 2014), justin_86 (October 22nd, 2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2013 Oct 22, 2013 3:54:04 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Brodie

Default Re: MaGuyvering a Kornit Breeze.

Thanks for the info. We have 18 breeze printers so I'm refurbishing regulators on a regular basis. Most of the time they max b/c the spring in the back gets stuck. I let kornit know about this so I'm sure they're working away at a new regulator version. Anyway if you still have the packaging from the o-ring you bought can you post the part/serial number and manufacturer? I'd be interested in ordering some. Thanks again!

Old October 23rd, 2013 Oct 23, 2013 2:22:58 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: jgabby
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

18 breeze ? wow

Old October 29th, 2013 Oct 29, 2013 1:41:32 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I just took apart all 6 print heads and unclogged them

Old October 30th, 2013 Oct 30, 2013 5:23:32 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

how did that go? I have a small clog in one of my white it doesn't really effect my print so much but still annoys me. What did you do?

Old November 4th, 2013 Nov 4, 2013 10:05:29 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rick Macali

Flushing print heads isn't as difficult as one may think. We took apart a 932 and reclaimed all the CMYK heads by simply soaking them in flushing fluid then using a syringe and breaking loose the sediment. The white heads took longer, but we saved those, as well.

Old November 4th, 2013 Nov 4, 2013 10:13:56 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMacali
Flushing print heads isn't as difficult as one may think. We took apart a 932 and reclaimed all the CMYK heads by simply soaking them in flushing fluid then using a syringe and breaking loose the sediment. The white heads took longer, but we saved those, as well.
I have flushed the heads before and it hasn't really worked. I been debating waiting until I had a lull in needing to use the breeze and just removing the semi clogged head and letting it soak in flushing fluid for a night and then using the flushing method

Old November 6th, 2013 Nov 6, 2013 12:12:19 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

you don't need flushing fluid to soak the heads .

Old December 18th, 2013 Dec 18, 2013 6:14:23 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I have come with a new MaGuyvering tip. So as I mentioned before I had a small clog in my white print head. We moved my machine to a new building and the environment hasn't been the best for it here. I had problems keeping humidity up and also it was way too cold in here especially at night. But I fixed all that and that's fine but that little clog of mine grew and no amount of flushing would work. I was half ready to bite the bullet and order a new one when I came up with a new idea. I figured I was going to replace the print head so this either worked or it didn't kind of a thing. Ok so this what I did. I flushed the print head in the normal procedure but I warmed up some flushing fluid using my heat press ( It was the only source of heat I had that day) The idea was it would break up the ink a bit. Now I didn't let it get super hot just enough to steam. So after running it through it made a big difference but it was still clogged. So I had another idea. I removed the print head and used a garment steamer on it for a few mins, I put the print head back on and ran some warm flushing fluid through it and then primed it. When I got it up and running and did a nozzle test it was good. Just like new. Now I don't think this would work on extream clogs but it worked for this. Just thought I'd pass this along if your warranty is up and you have nothing left to loose.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ghoster32111 For This Useful Post:
davitos (December 19th, 2013)
Old March 28th, 2014 Mar 28, 2014 11:58:50 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

So I came up with a very simple solution to printing on sleeves on a breeze. As far as I know Kornit doesn't make a sleeve pallet for the Breeze. And if they do I'm sure it's expensive like the youth pallet is. I came up with a simple solution. First off I'm a believer in with some thought and a lot of tape you can do anything. So here's what I did. I cut a piece of plexiglass roughly 5 inches wide and the same length as the pallet on there. I slide the plexiglass into the sleeve to where it need to be. I then took masking tape and taped the cuff down where the frame would hold it and taped then taped the back side across the whole pallet more or less where the frame would go. The sleeve was stretched tight by the Plexiglass and the tape held it all in place. I checked the head level and made my adjustments then ran it like you would what ever shirt your using. Came out perfect. I tried it several times until I got placement correct. It works on long sleeve t's and sweatshirts as well as lab coats ( The order was for a Lab coat. He wanted flames going up the arms). Once if was finished printing I removed the tape and carried the board and all to the dryer where I was able to slide it out and dry it like normal. The best part of this experiment I really did MacGuyver it. I used a swiss army knife to cut the plexi glass. Some of you younger guys out there won't get that but trust me it's funny.
printpoppa likes this.

Old April 7th, 2014 Apr 7, 2014 2:12:07 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Justin

Not sure if anyone is still interested about the spray regs but we got an upgrade kit for our Storm II to take it form this flimsy plastic unit to a huge stainless steel unit which has made the spray much more even.

To me it looks like you could easily modify a fuel pressure regulator from a car to upgrade the unit if you didn't want to spend the $$$ on the genuine one.

I think you can grab pretty cheap fuel pressure regs off ebay.

Old April 9th, 2014 Apr 9, 2014 5:24:54 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Well I just improved my humidity situation big time for my Kornit. Maybe some of you have seen threads where I have talked about this but for those of you that have not I will explain. I work in a large shop it's a 150,000 sq feet. So humidity is near impossible to control especially the amounts that are required for a Kornit or any DTG for that matter. My Kornit is incased in a plywood box. Nothing fancy it has two doors one on each side so I can get to the ink and fixation tanks. the only part not in the box is the loading area. Inside the box I had a humidifier but it didn't quite work so hot. I maybe could get 25% humidity. So I scoured the internet looking for a large humidifier which can be fairly expensive. I decided to buy 2 room size humidifiers. So I have both of those guys in there now I was able to get my humidity a bit higher but not by much. So I was at my house replacing some weather stripping on a door and I had a good amount left over. So I added it to the box on all the doors and what not. The humidity soared I had 85% humidity in an hour. So I finally got to use the settings on the humidifier to shut off where I want the humidity. The whole box with weather stripping and hardware for the doors cost me a whopping $200 the humidifiers were only $30 each. So for roughly $260 I have a full environmental system for my Kornit. And in the winter you could even toss in a small space heater if it gets to cold. It's the first summer in this location for me so only thing I'm worried about is it getting to hot. But at least if that happens here in New England if it's hot it's also 100% humidity so I suppose I could just leave the doors open and hope for the best.

Old April 9th, 2014 Apr 9, 2014 9:41:17 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: John

We just installed a Green Cloud system for our 2 Avalanches.

85% humidity all day every day in the hot and dry southwest.

You don't want to know how much it cost.

Old April 10th, 2014 Apr 10, 2014 12:07:10 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

My Breeze spray pressure regulator hack:

Spray pressure manual regulator fails after a given time, letting small rubber pieces flow in the tube and clog the spray head.
Moreover pump is working at full power (8bar) when you need only 3bar, and this does not increase the life of the pump

My hack:
- removed the manual spray pressure regulator (I use a T connector and a pressure indicator)
- added a small electronical board (80$) that fine tunes the voltage of the pump power, allowing me to reduce pump speed and pressure.

Results:
- no more clogs in the spray system (time saved)
- no more expensive pressure regulator to replace ($$$ saved)
- pump is happy and its avg life doubled ($$$ saved)

PS my cent on spare parts: almost every single part in the Kornit Breeze is a market part assembled by Kornit in the Breeze.
Once the warranty expired, I buy parts on the market with big savings. You can find almost everything (I only miss filters, but I'm working on it), you just need to dig deep enough.
printpoppa likes this.

Old April 10th, 2014 Apr 10, 2014 3:48:22 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Campbell

Im agreeing with EShirt, we have found spare parts on the open market. Had to replace a motor and driver for the head unit of the breeze. As im out of warrenty and isolated here in New Zealand, I called my closest Kornit rep in Australia (thats a different country for all you Mericans that dont know jack) They emailed a quote to sort the problem out for $2500 !!!! $750 for the driver, $750 for the motor and the rest to fly a technician out here to install.
We ended up running the part number on the side of the driver through the internet and went direct with the company in the States that produces them - for $320 all up, landed, for both parts! and we installed our selves and plugged in and it works fine.
To be honest I was a little pissed off about the insane markup they were trying to pull off.
If your out of warrenty McGyver it up!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to printpoppa For This Useful Post:
justin_86 (April 10th, 2014)

This is a discussion about MaGuyvering a Kornit Breeze. that was posted in the Kornit section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in