[Kornit General] Breeze User Experience - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Kornit
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Kornit DTG owners.

[Kornit General] Breeze User Experience

Like Tree6Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 9th, 2013 Jul 9, 2013 9:01:36 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Breeze User Experience

So we pulled the trigger on a new Kornit Breeze which should arrive in 3-4 weeks from now on. We will use this thread to document each and every step along the way to help other users either make the decision to buy one or not....

We are a first mover in the DTG business and been in this market since 2006. We own two T-Jet 2s and a Blazer Express and a DTG Kiosk 3. The decision has been made based on the fact that we eliminate a whole step and make the production easier and more cost effective given the lower ink costs. Also we found it harder and harder to get replacement parts for the TJet 2 so there was an immanent need to replace them. We will certainly keep the two Epson based models for backup and run more photorealistic prints on the Epson based machines.

To start: Do you have any suggestions what could be done in order to get the transition process as smooth as possible? So far we read through all the documents in the support section of the Kornit website. Is there anything you can share?

Thanks

Last edited by davitos; July 10th, 2013 at 09:51 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2013 Jul 9, 2013 9:17:09 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: J05HU4

Default Re: Breeze User Experience

Why didn't you go with an Avalanche?

Old July 9th, 2013 Jul 9, 2013 9:22:06 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

simply because we dont have enough space and are not in the mass market.

Old July 10th, 2013 Jul 10, 2013 8:17:28 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: James

The breeze works great as long as your not going for mass quantities. As it's not as fast as some of the other models. And it doesn't take up a ton of space. Alittle advice for your breeze that will help. I don't know where you plan on putting it but it needs some humidity to keep things running well. What we did was encase the breeze in plywood with doors to get at everything. (there's enough room on either side to change ink and add fixation.) Then we put a humidifier in there to keep everything where it should be.

Old July 10th, 2013 Jul 10, 2013 9:35:44 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster32111
The breeze works great as long as your not going for mass quantities. As it's not as fast as some of the other models. And it doesn't take up a ton of space. Alittle advice for your breeze that will help. I don't know where you plan on putting it but it needs some humidity to keep things running well. What we did was encase the breeze in plywood with doors to get at everything. (there's enough room on either side to change ink and add fixation.) Then we put a humidifier in there to keep everything where it should be.

This is a excellent point. Controlled humidity is a must with these machines.

Old July 10th, 2013 Jul 10, 2013 9:51:01 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Thank you for your ideas. We never had any issues with humidity with any of our machines so far. we usually have 40-70%. guessing we can avoid building a cage

Where are you guys from?

Old July 10th, 2013 Jul 10, 2013 10:43:20 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

did any of you try to build a platen on your own? like a polo platen or sleeve platen?

also, did any of you use a brother gt platen on the breeze? we thought that might be a cost effective solution? only thing to do is drill four new holes....

Old July 10th, 2013 Jul 10, 2013 11:11:00 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davitos
Thank you for your ideas. We never had any issues with humidity with any of our machines so far. we usually have 40-70%. guessing we can avoid building a cage

Where are you guys from?
We are in Connecticut and depending on the season there are some wild swings in Temp and Humidity. As I write this I'm looking at our humidity gauge it shows inside the box and what the room is. And in the room it's gone up 10% in the last hour.

Old July 10th, 2013 Jul 10, 2013 11:15:55 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davitos
did any of you try to build a platen on your own? like a polo platen or sleeve platen?

also, did any of you use a brother gt platen on the breeze? we thought that might be a cost effective solution? only thing to do is drill four new holes....
Never bothered to make our own platen all I do for polos is. use some plexiglass that we cut in half and tape it down to the normal platen. That was our super cheap fix for polos, zip ups and hoodies with pockets. Sleeves on the other hand we just don't do on the kornit but I been experimenting on making something to fix that. The two things I tried didn't work out to well. But if I figure something out I'll post it on here.

Old July 11th, 2013 Jul 11, 2013 9:31:25 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I am in Pennsylvania. Humidity should be controlled. Absolutely.

And I have made my own pallets for baby items. Roughed up everything in wood and sent to a fabricator and they turned it into useable format.

Old July 11th, 2013 Jul 11, 2013 10:15:39 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I'm a fan of using a lot of masking tape lol. We bought the youth pallet from kornit when we ordered the machine. Obviously it's a little large on say a onesie but I can mange to get it on somewhat and then just tape down the rest. On small baby shirts. I have a rough template on the pallet then I just tape it down. It's been my go to ever since we got the machine and then someone wanted 6 custom onesie's with 18 different colors so we couldn't screen print them. So I just went to them with a roll of masking tape. It's simple and easy. The only thing I would get made is a sleeve board that has been a thorn in our side for a while.

Old July 11th, 2013 Jul 11, 2013 10:21:31 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

well then, lets put our heads together and have some pallets made

i am sure some other folks might join in and reduce the costs.

how can you add custom pallet size to quickp? is that at all possible?

Old July 11th, 2013 Jul 11, 2013 10:06:57 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

i downloaded quickp and found that we really need to define best speeds and settings for different garments. could you folks share some of your settings? did you do settings for different brands? as far as shirts go we use fruit of the loom heavy / gildan heavy / b&c / continental garments as well as b&c hoodies. any thoughts and ideas on these to get the best results at optimum speeds?

Old July 12th, 2013 Jul 12, 2013 6:54:35 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I use different speeds and settings based on color of the garment, what the garment is, and what the design is. I also use different temps for say sweat shirts then tee shirts. And all that is based on color of the shirt and the design that goes on it. Experimenting is also key because I believe every machine is a hair different. Like I find mine sprays fixation slightly heavier then some other machines so I differ slightly in that respect. On the most part I run our designs on high production but a more complex design i'll do high quality it depends on everything I said before. You got to get a feel for your machine and make your own settings that work best for you. I know that's a lot of help but there are so many factors involved in printing on these machines it's mind numbing at first. But I'll tell you something that helped me. Another printer told me don't think of it as printing on the shirt but printing on a layer of fixation. With that fixation amounts are key with this. Just gotta see how much gets absorbed by each garment. Like for a sweatshirt I know my starting point for fixation is 85% but sometimes I need to go higher to like 97%. Your going to have to play around some.

Old July 17th, 2013 Jul 17, 2013 7:57:25 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoster32111
I use different speeds and settings based on color of the garment, what the garment is, and what the design is. I also use different temps for say sweat shirts then tee shirts. And all that is based on color of the shirt and the design that goes on it. Experimenting is also key because I believe every machine is a hair different. Like I find mine sprays fixation slightly heavier then some other machines so I differ slightly in that respect. On the most part I run our designs on high production but a more complex design i'll do high quality it depends on everything I said before. You got to get a feel for your machine and make your own settings that work best for you. I know that's a lot of help but there are so many factors involved in printing on these machines it's mind numbing at first. But I'll tell you something that helped me. Another printer told me don't think of it as printing on the shirt but printing on a layer of fixation. With that fixation amounts are key with this. Just gotta see how much gets absorbed by each garment. Like for a sweatshirt I know my starting point for fixation is 85% but sometimes I need to go higher to like 97%. Your going to have to play around some.

My settings for sweats are pretty much 85%-97%spray also. I agree there are so many variables to factor in. I do the same thing as well with different colors and even sometimes sizes.

Country shirts are made in matters at times. One thing to remember also is that just because "design A" works "this way" on say...a royal Gildan G5000 md Tshirt does NOT mean it will work the same way for an xx-large Gildan 64000 heather royal tshirt.

Humidity is DEFINITELY key. I try to have NO LESS than 70% at all times. I am in Pennsylvania so the winter gets tough to print anything decent. LOL! The room our machine is in is quite small so we didnt have to build a cage but we do use the vet in the back to pump humidity INSIDE machine (under the hood, I run a Storm btw)

Um, test test test! If i were you i would avoid pigment/garment dyed t's. I have never had very good luck with them and they are highly prone to staining.

Also, get the yearly preventative maintenance done by a technician AND/OR send yourself or one of your employees to get the training...it is expensive but you are going to save time and money in the long run with the knowledge to fix anything and everything not if, but WHEN it goes bad/wrong.

Lastly (for now) please don't get discouraged if your prints are fading...washing off...looking like crap...etc etc. Printing with a Kornit takes time, practice, and experimenting a lot.

Good luck!

This is a discussion about Breeze User Experience that was posted in the Kornit section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in