Cafepress Direct Printing is screenprinting? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Kornit
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Kornit DTG owners.

Cafepress Direct Printing is screenprinting?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 12th, 2006 Feb 12, 2006 3:26:18 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Bill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cafepress Direct Printing is screenprinting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke
Déjà vu to this discussion.
I could have sworn you said that already. Maybe not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2006 Feb 12, 2006 3:41:58 PM -   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke
Déjà vu to this discussion.
sorry if this discussion is like beating a dead horse, its all news to me if that makes you feel better.

nice to see that the Kornit model comes in at an affordable $200,000.

Any particular reason the Kornit is $200k and every other DTG model i've seen weighs in between $20-$60k? Seems like an awful lot more money for equipment designed to manufacture the same product.

I'm really surprised they didnt put this tech into a printer that can print a superior plastisol heat transfer, and then be applied to the shirt - would save them the problem of needing platens to mount shirts, or worrying about printing on dark substrates, not to mention you'd be able to gang a helluva lot more transfers on the machine at once vs. tshirts - now that would kick ***!

Old February 12th, 2006 Feb 12, 2006 5:00:20 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Bill

I'm pretty sure that will be next, and it's probably already being worked on.

Old February 12th, 2006 Feb 12, 2006 8:27:11 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Oscar

The Kornit's run $180,000.

Old February 13th, 2006 Feb 13, 2006 12:45:03 AM -   #20 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decal_Designs
I also think that traditional screen printing will be on it's way out for the most part. Heat transfers have been improved greatly in the last 10 years and will continue to improve, putting some hurt on the screen printers, unless they adapt and offer plastisol transfer printing also, but heat transfers may also be out some day.
Personally I'm not at all worried about heat transfer killing off the screenprinting market - it's proven itself to be an effective niche, but I don't think it has enough advantages over screenprinting to really take over (and way too many disadvantages). Plastisol transfer has one or two advantages over screenprinting directly, but since it's just screenprinting onto a carrier paper you might as well cut out the middle step and stick with screenprinting.

When you get right down to it, big business simply doesn't use heat press. There's the obvious exception of Cafe Press, but their business isn't to use heat press, so much as to enable smaller businesses to exist. Heat Press technology was always just a stop gap solution - it will, without a doubt, be obsolete eventually. I don't see that happening in the immediate future, but I am certain it will happen (if I had to put a figure on it I'd guess 8±4 years, but that's baseless conjecture).

...but direct to garment printing (i.e. a big ol' t-shirt printer) scares me a great deal. I'm only just getting started really and I'm investing a lot of time and energy into screenprinting... while some of the skills will translate I'm very worried that all too much of it will end up being quaint archaic knowledge all too soon.

I still just don't know. Will screenprinting be like your hand signpainting example, or the digital photography revolution? Or will DTG just prove too hard to manufacture cheaply and impossible to perfect (i.e. improvements to white ink)? While only time will really tell... yeah, that has me worried. The technology just isn't ready yet, but that's always been the way with technology. At first it's bulky and not worth the effort (c.f. mobile phones), but soon enough it's ubiquitous.

I figure I have to go with the only technology that is mature right now, but no-one wants to become obsolete.

Old February 13th, 2006 Feb 13, 2006 5:41:05 AM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: TR

I hear you loud and clear, Solmu… but the fact of the matter is, you can change and adapt to the technology in your industry and world, or basically be forced to drop out somewhere down the line. Perhaps start a museum? People will be saying, “this is how we use to print shirts in the old days”!

The production capabilities of DTG are not even close to screen presses right now. So large runs are a niche that will probably hang around for a while. But if you’re not a BIG production facility, I guess there’s no comfort in that.

As with everything, they’re getting top dollar for the latest technology. The Single T-Jet can be had for around 12K. In a year or two, you’ll be able to get a better machine w/ twice the volume for less than half.

Old February 14th, 2006 Feb 14, 2006 3:47:00 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Oscar

If you are riding a horse down the information highway, you could get run over.

Old February 14th, 2006 Feb 14, 2006 2:52:27 PM -   #23 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,021 Times in 3,228 Posts

I'm wearing a black cafepress DTG printed shirt and the hand and quality is pretty amazing. It's just a one color (white) design, but it does have some cool detail.

It should definitely be interesting to where this technology is in 10 years.

Old February 14th, 2006 Feb 14, 2006 5:29:41 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: TR

Ten years? I think it will be a lot quicker than that!

I just got 3 new black shirt samples from T-Jet today. They're all done from our art so we could compair next to the screened. They all look really good! Not too far off at all.

Old August 8th, 2006 Aug 8, 2006 7:53:16 AM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mike

The only conspiracy that I am seeing is that major retailers are taking notice of DTG as a means of increasing sales. Visit your local Walmart and look at what is on display for the fall. Light colored shirts with water based ink printing.
In this day of nano technology why would it be inconsievable that by 1st making this combination fashionable, they could use DTG to increase sales by decorating for schools. Our Walmart already has tees and sweatshirts on the racks for our local high schools.

This is a discussion about Cafepress Direct Printing is screenprinting? that was posted in the Kornit section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in