T-Shirt Forums banner

photographic images: quality of print on white VS black Ts?

[Kornit General] 
2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  gitaha 
#1 ·
hello everyone!

i'm looking for some expert advice and will be grateful for all contributions:

i would like to print some artwork that contain photographic images (b&w, spot colours and small areas of flat colour). these are for an art exhibit so quality and good detail really matters. (they make the artwork itself so they're not promotional Ts.) there is some small text.

my printer uses DTG Kornit. i will be printing on 100% cotton ts, and i have the choice of 10.1 or 7.5 oz fabric.

i am trying to decide whether to print on black tshirts or white tshirts.

the printer's designer recommends printing on white for getting more precise details in the images. on the other hand, she says the colours will pop out more on black ts.

i've seen some samples and can't really make a judgment on that basis. this is my first time printing and i'm printing one-of-a-kind, so i don't have the option nor time to print on both black and white ts or repeat the process.

i would appreciate thoughts and advice. thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
The concept of black shirt printing is to make the print area white first. So either shirt color won't matter. Black may look better because of the contrast. But black shirts are generally more expensive to print because of the white ink base.

10 oz shirt! Wow that's thick. Never heard one that heavy. Have you seen a sample?

#3 ·
thanks, splathead!

black and white are the same price at my printer, so that's not a concern. what i don't really like about printing on black is the rubbery quality because of double layer ink. on white the ink settles into the fabric rather than sitting on top of it. but i'm not sure that with my images i will get the details on white precisely because of that. but i like the feel of it better.

10.1 oz fabric seems to be fairly standard:
Gildan® Ultra Cotton® Elle Ladies' T. 200L - wordans.com

the lighter one is here:
Gildan T. 640L- Ladies' SoftStyle

having slept on it and bounced it around a bit, i think i'm ready to take the risk with printing on white on the lighter fabric.

#4 ·
hello everyone!

i'm looking for some expert advice and will be grateful for all contributions:

i would like to print some artwork that contain photographic images (b&w, spot colours and small areas of flat colour). these are for an art exhibit so quality and good detail really matters. (they make the artwork itself so they're not promotional Ts.) there is some small text.

my printer uses DTG Kornit. i will be printing on 100% cotton ts, and i have the choice of 10.1 or 7.5 oz fabric.

i am trying to decide whether to print on black tshirts or white tshirts.

the printer's designer recommends printing on white for getting more precise details in the images. on the other hand, she says the colours will pop out more on black ts.

i've seen some samples and can't really make a judgment on that basis. this is my first time printing and i'm printing one-of-a-kind, so i don't have the option nor time to print on both black and white ts or repeat the process.

i would appreciate thoughts and advice. thanks.
The detail should be relatively the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.