T-Shirt Forums banner

New Spray Wiping System. Is It Worth It?

[Kornit 931DS] 
3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  kenscott 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone! My name's Richard and I work with WS Emerson Co. I'm the artist and printer for our DTG department. We have a Kornit 931DS. The machine's been great. It's had a few hiccups here and there but we've gotten some really great prints from it. I've been looking into this new spray wiping system and was wondering if any other kornit users have had a chance to try it out or see it in action. we use a clamshell heatpress for flattening down the fibers and wrinkles but if this wiping system can do the same thing and better, then that's a whole step eliminated from the printing process. I've noticed that the heatpress really heats up the room, especially on the nice hot days outside (which are fairly rare right now up in Maine), but come the middle of summer I can see this room being very miserable to work in. I was wondering if it's really worth spending the $2400 for this new spray system or if it's the same as the heatpress method.

#2 ·
Hi,

I am interested in this solution,too. But I am wondering about the result after using this solution. I don't see the result is good enough or not by my eye.
As I know, it uses the wiper to flatten the fiber after spray. I use a plastic ruler to do the same thing. It's a little stupid, but this can solve this fiber problem, but not very perfect.
If you are interested in the performance about this wipe system, you can see here:(this source video is provided by Kornit)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxmDNFbDgcU[/media]

But I don't know how perfect about this solution. I am bothered by the fiber pop up problem for a long time. Even I know I must iron the garment, but sometimes, the fibers still pop up in my print.

If you want to try the "plastic ruler" solution, it's better upgrade the kornit app to the newest edition. If not, you can still use this solution, but you must waste some spray fixation and time. The process is as followed:
1. Spray before print. If you use the newest version, you can choose selective to spray the image size only.
2. Use plastic ruler to scrape the spray area from the pallet knob side to the machine. No need to scrape very gentle, you can use a little force on it.
3. Print the image. Remember cancel the spray check box in the queue.
ps. I still iron the garment before print.

I think you can get a better print quality. But I don't know the spray wiper system can do how much better!

#4 ·
Hello,
in my work, the operator use this method....but manually, whith a manual spray and soft plastic rule. With automatic spraying off.
And i think, the new spray wiping system is one of solutions for a better production timing. But the cost is hight for this simple upgrade ??..coming from users in fact...

thank's for the heat press tips, i will test that soon. But before and after printing and drying ?

#5 ·
heat press before you print...not days though... like 20 minutes before..and then give your shirt time to cool down or it messes with the humidity in the shirt...and may take a little more pre spray.. but it fixes the fibers that stick up... makes a big difference... and we also heat press them again after they dry to make sure they are set into the shirt... takes a little longer but it helps with shirts coming back to you because they washed out..

#6 ·
... and we also heat press them again after they dry to make sure they are set into the shirt... takes a little longer but it helps with shirts coming back to you because they washed out..
Hello Ken,
You mean, after going through the conveyor dryer, you heat press the shirts again? Do you do this for dark and light shirts? And, would you say heat pressing have an "effect" or different outcome compared to those shirts which are not heat pressed?

#13 ·
So we just purchased another 931 machine and installed the new spray wiping system. It's a nice upgrade because it takes the heat press out of the equation all together, making it easier and simpler to print shirts. Also, the print quality is slightly improved over the heat press method. I have had it wrinkle up a few shirts enough that the shirt catches on the print carriage and gets ruined but overall it's a big help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.