[JPSS - Jet-Pro SofStretch] White Outline around letters - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

[JPSS - Jet-Pro SofStretch] White Outline around letters

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 8th, 2009 Jul 8, 2009 3:32:04 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Lori
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default White Outline around letters

I am really new to this so here goes.....please take it easy on me as I really don't have a clue what I am doing.

I have a heat press, ink jet printer (using regular printer ink), and JPSS transfer paper. I have a company that wants their name placed on the front and back of lime green shirts. I laid out the name, printed it on the transfer paper, streched the shirt, heated the shirt for a couple of seconds, placed the transfer, laid teflon paper over the transfer, closed the press, and pressed the image for 30 seconds at 375 degrees. Immediatley peeled the transfer from the shirt while hot, streched the shirt again. I trimmed out around the letters as best as I could with a pair of scissors. I obviously couldn't get around every letter and it left a white outline. I realize that the outline is the transfer paper is there anything I can do about this without purchasing some type of cutter? If not then what is the best option? I have an order for baseball shirts for this fall and I know that I am going to run into the same problem with them as well. If there isn't a solution should I order the image from a company online, let them produce the transfer and then press it? I just don't know what to do about this and it is driving me crazy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2009 Jul 8, 2009 3:35:50 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Katrina
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: White Outline around letters

JPSS is for lights. Even on white shirts you will still see the white polymer so I think lime green may be too dark for JPSS.

Katrina

Old July 8th, 2009 Jul 8, 2009 3:41:38 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I even have this problem on grays. My question is.....I have purchased heat transfer shirts from people before and you can't see the white outline/polymer. How do they do it?????? Do they have a cutter or is there a trick that I am missing???? Thanks for any help.

Old July 8th, 2009 Jul 8, 2009 9:18:20 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,132 Times in 839 Posts

You probably bought the ones that were pressed with plastisol or self weeding transfer.

You have to trim really close when it comes to text if you don't want polymer to show. Trimming text will have issue of keeping the placement of the letters es[ecially with multiple lines. So I would suggest to print the outline (conserve ink waste) of the text/image on a standard printer paper. Cut out the outline with an exacto knife so that there are no traces of the image left on the paper. Place it over the transfer paper to cover the unwanted polymer. Cover the two papers with parchment paper then press for 5 to 6 seconds at 225F with light pressure just to keep the papers from moving when pressing them on the shirt. You can also use a hand iron so that the press don't have to be set with two settings. When using hand iron just press around the edges. Make sure to trim the over hanging edge of the transfer that is not covered with the printer paper. Press the papers on the shirt per transfer paper pressing instruction. Vinyl cutter would be a better way to cutout the printer paper. That is what I have to do when I use JPSS on pastel or slightly darker fabrics or even on white. I had yellowing issue in uprinted area when I use JPSS even on white

Another option available is use a self weeding transfer paper that does not leave polymer in unprinted areas. It is called Imageclip. There are two types one for laser and the other is for inkjet. Both papers are made by the maker of JPSS. The quality, durability and softness are the same as JPSS without the polymer background. Imageclip transfers are my choices for white, pastel and slightly darker fabrics.

Check some of the sample prints in this thread: How Imageclip for inkjet test - T-Shirt Forums

Click the images to enlarge.

Last edited by Lnfortun; July 8th, 2009 at 10:04 PM..

Old July 10th, 2009 Jul 10, 2009 2:51:12 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you so much...VERY VERY helpful. I have been about to pull my hair out trying to figure this out. I can't tell you how much I thank you for taking the time to share that information with me.

Old October 22nd, 2009 Oct 22, 2009 8:30:45 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood482
I even have this problem on grays. My question is.....I have purchased heat transfer shirts from people before and you can't see the white outline/polymer. How do they do it?????? Do they have a cutter or is there a trick that I am missing???? Thanks for any help.
Hello, I use Translution paper from colorstarink.com (Todd in Southern California)
for "sayings" tshirts. The white background (i.e. heat transfer paper polymer?) does not show when used correctly. And "background" fades after first wash.

I've been using this paper since it came out and before that (first generation of this paper known as "Miracool").

My specs:
Epson 900 and Epson CX4800 (C88 ink cart size) with MIS inksuply.com HT (heat transfer inks).

Knight DK20S heatpress, 375F, 30 seconds with teflon sheet, heavy pressure.

Gildan and Anvil 100% cotton 6.1 ounce
shirts, white.

Translution is not the easiest paper to use.
I'm sure there are plenty of tips here.

Basicially, I can't preprint and store designs.
Shirt must be really dry and cooled from prepressing before placing transfer down
and tacking with heat tape.
Hot peel quickly.

Humidity does affect this paper a lot so keep it stored in airtight bags, including your fresh printouts.

Will have slight fading after first wash.

This is a discussion about White Outline around letters that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in