Am I on the Right Track? (Purchase Question) - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

Am I on the Right Track? (Purchase Question)

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By pippin decals
  • 1 Post By mailman
  • 1 Post By pippin decals

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 2nd, 2018 Nov 2, 2018 9:40:50 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Am I on the Right Track? (Purchase Question)

Hello,

I've been researching a bit on this forum (wow you guys are super helpful!) and i wanted to run by my choice on a printer / and ink purchase. If there is something better, please let me know your recommendations.

What I am trying to achieve:
Really vibrant images on 100% cotton that will stand a few washes. Its really important that the ink and transfer paper will do will with 100% cotton. The images may be solids or watercolours. Please see the attached (note: not my picture just a sample from internet). At some point I would like to get into printing on dark shirts.

My budget:
- Printer: CAD$200-250
- Heat Press: CAD$250-300
- Transfer Paper/Ink: Whatever it will cost.

Printer to Purchase:
From what I've researched I am looking at purchasing a Epson C88 (~$100) which already comes with pigment ink. However, I am wondering if there is another printer that is perhaps better then this? I can spend more so please let me know if there is a far superior printer still in budget ($200-250).

Heat Press to Purchase:
I have been eyeing something like this from ebay: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Digital-Heat...zJEc:rk:5:pf:0. I don't think I need a large surface-area heat press, just something small that will do the job.

Ink:
As mentioned, its important for me to print on 100% cotton so that eliminates sublimation printing though I know sublimation ink is super vibrant. I'm not sure if the polyester sprays would be efficient or even work very well. That said, though I have to sacrifice a bit on vibrancy I am choosing to go with pigment ink. At first I would like to just use the stock pigment ink with the printer as I don't know about refilling cartridges yet.

Lastly I will go for JPSS transfer paper as it seems that is the best option with pigment ink on 100% cotton.

Please let me know if im on the right track or if you have any better recommendations.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 1.21.24 PM.png (326.8 KB, 21 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2018 Nov 2, 2018 10:11:12 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Just friendly & helpful

Default Re: Am I on the Right Track? (Purchase Question)

For me i use a Epson WF 7610 all pigment ink printer. The latest model is a WF 7720 i believe that is a 2 tray setup and a WF 7710 for a single paper tray.. I print on Neenah Jpss transfer paper for white and light colored shirts ( which you print in reverse) and 3G Opaque for dark colors ( print normal).

My images are different than what you posted but they still turn out great and would for yours as well.

I have washed these about 15 times or so.

The Following User Says Thank You to pippin decals For This Useful Post:
ninixi (November 2nd, 2018)
Old November 2nd, 2018 Nov 2, 2018 10:32:08 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin decals
For me i use a Epson WF 7610 all pigment ink printer. The latest model is a WF 7720 i believe that is a 2 tray setup and a WF 7710 for a single paper tray.. I print on Neenah Jpss transfer paper for white and light colored shirts ( which you print in reverse) and 3G Opaque for dark colors ( print normal).

My images are different than what you posted but they still turn out great and would for yours as well.

I have washed these about 15 times or so.
Thanks for the response. The frog shirt still looks great!
I looked into the WF 7710 - that actually seems like a great option. The only thing I'm nervous about is the print quality. The Epson C88 is advertised as a photo printer while WF 7710 looks more to be for office use. I wish I could see these guys in action and compare!

Do you use a refillable cartridge for the WF 7710?

Old November 2nd, 2018 Nov 2, 2018 10:46:37 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: mark

I would consider the Epson wf7210 around $150.00, prints up to 13"x19", this way you can gang images. Also consider refillable carts they run around $40.00 plus ink at Cobra ink systems, save time and money in the long run.About the press do a lot of research read reviews,inconsistent temps and pressure can make or break a transfer. Hope this helps, Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to mailman For This Useful Post:
Old November 2nd, 2018 Nov 2, 2018 11:05:17 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninixi
Thanks for the response. The frog shirt still looks great!
I looked into the WF 7710 - that actually seems like a great option. The only thing I'm nervous about is the print quality. The Epson C88 is advertised as a photo printer while WF 7710 looks more to be for office use. I wish I could see these guys in action and compare!

Do you use a refillable cartridge for the WF 7710?

I do have the refill carts for my WF 7610 and it prints 13x19 images. And the photo quality is amazing .I use it also for my pro Photography i do also and for selling images to customers. I also use it for ink transferring to wood as well, Thats even awesome . The pigment ink is just the best to me ..

Here is a Photo transfer i did to wood ,There is no paper on this , The ink is basically glued to the wood in reverse and the photo paper is washed away and the ink is left over ,From there i spray a clear coat over it and done ..They look way better in person. The wood gives a different type of look as well.
mgparrish likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to pippin decals For This Useful Post:
Old November 2nd, 2018 Nov 2, 2018 1:53:00 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Just friendly, could you explain the wood transfer a little better, they look great. Thanks, Mark

Old November 2nd, 2018 Nov 2, 2018 5:21:47 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Just friendly, could you explain the wood transfer a little better, they look great. Thanks, Mark

No Problem.

Things you need.

1. Mod Podge Photo Transfer Medium.Walmart,Hobby Lobby, Joanns Fabrics,Micheal's all sell it and ebay . Shop around for best price. I uploaded a photo of the Liquid also.

2. Wood base etc . Good Flat squeegee,Sponge.

3. Gloss Photo paper for best image look. And a ALL PIGMENT INK PRINTER... Not Black Pigment and DYE colors.

4. Krylon or similar brand Clear Coat spray paint.

A. So find your image of course you want to print. Print it with All Pigment inks .Print in reverse and let Dry for at least 15-20 min.

B. Next take your wood and sand it super smooth if you want or leave it somewhat rough for a texture look.

3. Cut your image if needed to the shape of the wood your using etc. Its completely up to you on how you want it to look...

Next put a light to medium coverage over the wood , Probably about the thickness of 4 sheets of paper. ( I never stress on the amount, Just dont Flood it).You just want good coverage...Then take your photo and place it face down on to the wood, Try to get this placed perfect the first time if possible.

4. Next take a squeegee and with light to medium pressure try to work the photo flat and smooth without making it slide around .You may end up pushing some of the Transfer gel out .Its ok. you can always sand it later .

5. Once you get it looking nice and smooth,No bubbles etc and you think its got good application.Let it sit for 24hrs ( important on that ) .You will be looking at the blank backside of the photo.

6. After its cured the nest day, Take it to the sink or just have a bowl of cool to warm water , grab a sponge or just use your hand and start getting the paper wet,You wont hurt anything , Keep it wet and slowly start rubbing lightly to medium pressure with your 4 fingers or sponge and do circles over it all.

The paper will start to rub away and turn to wet pulp. Keep doing this till you start seeing the image start to appear. As you get closer use less pressure. Once you think you have the paper all gone ,Use your fingers to sorta feel for left over paper and rub lightly to remove remaining paper, If you rub to much you will or can rub the image away ,so pay attention to areas that may be paper free already.

7. Once you think you have it removed. Let it dry for about 10-20 min or so, It may dry faster depending on temp. It will start to dry and look really hazy and dull. Its ok, you want it to do this. This will let you see any small areas where the paper will be you missed when wet. Re-wet and wipe lightly where needed, and let dry again fully about 1/2 hour or so.

8. Now the fun part. No more water... Image is hopefully dry. Sand or clean any edges etc where the gel may have squeezed out etc ( NOT the image itself) .Like i said " how you want it to look etc is up to you ". I personally sanded the edges of the photo to make it more rough antique looking , Just dont sand away important parts of your image.

9. Now the image is clean and ready to come alive. Take your image outside where no dust will land on it. Start spraying a light-medium 1st coat going side to side etc without making runs etc .AS you apply the Clear coat the image will start to just pop out if you did all the steps correct. Once you get one good coat and the image looks great, let it dry for about 10 min or so till partially dry. Then come back and give it one last good cover until you like it .

Your done . Let it dry and your good to go.
When i first did my first one ever ,i forgot to reverse print and didnt notice it till it was to late. Only some people have noticed it lol.. If you have any questions send me a pm or email me . [email protected] Dwayne .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Mod Podge Photo Transfer.jpeg (80.9 KB, 1 views)
mgparrish likes this.

Old November 2nd, 2018 Nov 2, 2018 5:23:54 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman

If you look at the animal print,you will see light white spots. Thats the paper i didnt see and didnt remove before spraying . But it gives it a nice look to me. You will understand after you read my instructions in the other post.

Old November 3rd, 2018 Nov 3, 2018 8:22:04 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Thanks, Just Friendly, I appreciate all the details. I am anxious to give it a try. Thanks again, Mark

This is a discussion about Am I on the Right Track? (Purchase Question) that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in