[Ironall for Darks - OPAQUE] Found solution to Ironall printer jam - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

[Ironall for Darks - OPAQUE] Found solution to Ironall printer jam

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 16th, 2009 May 16, 2009 1:37:25 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Found solution to Ironall printer jam

I think I've found a solution to the paper jamming in C88+. My solution applies not only to ironall but other brands of heat transfer/sublimation papers as well. I've been reading this forum and as early as 2006 there have been posts about this. Some gave up on ironall. I've tried their recommendations and have tried my own solutions. Some of them work some of the time. To be fair to ironall - I bought 50 sheets first half of 2008. Not a single sheet jammed but some of the printouts look terrible. Last month (April 2009) I bought 100 sheets. They keep on jamming (like a garage band.) I wanted to throw them away but I really like that paper(that is, if it gets through the printer). Luckily, I think I've found a solution. If there's enough interest, I'll post it tomorrow after the Lakers-Rockets game 7. I still have to take pictures to back it up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VinnyYak For This Useful Post:
ashamutt (May 16th, 2009), Rodney (May 19th, 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2009 May 16, 2009 2:24:05 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Mrs. Bacon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default Re: Found solution to Ironall printer jam

Sometimes my IYA Dark (ironall dark) jams as well. (on the C120)
..OR, the edges curl up and the print head then ends up hitting the paper and totally ruins the print.
I would love to hear your solution!!!

I did try a carrier sheet w/ double sided tape..... but it did not work too well.....only 1 out of 5 times.
.....the carrier sheet was made of "folder paper".....maybe it would have worked better if I had sprayed the whole carrier w/ Krylon Easy-Tack Repositionable Spray Adhesive...??? But, I thought it would be a waste of time because this would take too long if doing multiple prints!! LOL

What I do now is.... right before loading it into the printer, I roll it the opposite way that it is curling....a real tight roll..... it seems to flatten it out a lot, so it then runs through the printer nicely.

I hope that tomorrow’s game ends early because I am now very curious as to what your solution is!!!!

Old May 17th, 2009 May 17, 2009 10:32:59 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Ashamutt, I thought I'm the only one who thought of this solution but yours is similar to mine, that is, using a carrier sheet. I haven't used or even seen a carrier sheet.
This method works for me on my C88+ Epson printer. And my detailed explanation is directed to those with less experience.

Here's how I do it. I use a transparent plastic, like the one they use in projectors or the one used by silkscreen printers when they're burning an image on the emulsion coated silkscreen. (Actually it doesn't have to be transparent).

Just attach the plastic to the back of the transfer paper. I use Scotch tape. I use a binder clip or a clothes pin with a rubber tip to help me align. It's like having three hands. The plastic sheet is reusable. Disadvantage - more work that slows me down. But it's better than throwing the $1.50+ transfer paper in the garbage.

But wait, you still have to make sure that the front is not curled.

First photo. 8.5 by 11-in. plastic sheet. I used the round green tags only for picture taking purposes. Hard to see the transparent sheet.

Second photo. That's the back of the transfer paper. I discovered that I don't have to use the whole 8.5" x 11" plastic sheet. I cut it into 4 pieces. 11 divided by 4 is 2.75. Each piece is 8.5" x 2.75". When the paper jams it usually happens in the first 2 inches from the top(or front) of the paper. The back (or bottom) end of the paper doesn't have to be uncurled. It doesn't matter if it's curled.

Third photo shows the plastic sheet after I have removed the transfer paper and where I put the tape. The left side (or right side if your facing the printer) should be taped as the fourth photo will show why. I tape the top on 4 or sometimes 5 places. Use your discretion. You can tape it from edge to edge. The right side (left if your facing the printer) is not very critical, I think, but I may be wrong. That dark thing on the corner is ink smear. Almost didn't make it.

Fourth photo. Actual result. I heard a sound. I knew I'm in trouble. Almost didn't make it. So it's advisable to tape the whole 2.75" edge so the printhead can jump over the paper. The dimension on the photo says 1.75" but actually there's one more inch not shown.

Works for me. I hope it works for you too, guys. Well honestly, I've tried it only 4 times. 3 went smoothly and one jammed a little as the photo shows. But I'm sure this will solve the problem maybe 90% if not 100% of the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0344a.JPG (20.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0348a.JPG (24.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0346a.JPG (13.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0347a.JPG (29.1 KB, 26 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VinnyYak For This Useful Post:
ashamutt (May 17th, 2009), Rodney (May 19th, 2009)

Old May 17th, 2009 May 17, 2009 11:23:47 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Oh my....that looks like more work than I did!!! LOL!!!
I used permanent double-sided tape all around the edges.....and that was too much work for me!!!

Although I now have no more problems running it through my printer w/out a carrier - because I tightly roll the IYA DARK (ironall dark) the opposite way it is curling and that seems to flatten it out - I am going to try a new carrier method. (new to me that is)

I am going to take 2 different spray adhesives - krylon easy-tack & 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive - and 2 different types of carriers – a laser transparency & a .005 Acetate Sheet.

To center the paper onto the carrier I am going to use my ‘cassette paper feed’ located at the bottom of one of my cannon printers.(I am too shaky to do it free hand! LOL)

Hopefully the spray adhesive will work a lot better and go a lot quicker than the “tape”………the tape method just did not work for me and even if it did , like I said before , it was just too time consuming.

I will let you know how the spray adhesive works……. J

Thanks for all of the pictures and for all of your hard work testing this carrier method!!!

Old May 18th, 2009 May 18, 2009 7:05:54 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Curling other transfer papers the opposite direction works for me but not this batch of ironall that I bought last month. It's just stubborn. My options are return them to the vendor, buy a different brand, find a way to fix problem or throw them in the garbage. I doubt they're recycleable.

The batch I bought last month just won't stay in upright position when fed to the printer.

By the way, if anyone of you wants to do this, I suggest to tape the whole top from edge to edge. I just encountered a problem. It got snagged in the feeder and the printer continued printing even if there was no paper. The sponge inside absorbed the ink.

No need to click on the thumbnails. You'll see the same thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ironallc88.jpg (38.8 KB, 30 views)

Old May 18th, 2009 May 18, 2009 1:21:06 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyYak
Curling other transfer papers the opposite direction works for me but not this batch of ironall that I bought last month. It's just stubborn. My options are return them to the vendor, buy a different brand, find a way to fix problem or throw them in the garbage. I doubt they're recycleable.

The batch I bought last month just won't stay in upright position when fed to the printer.

By the way, if anyone of you wants to do this, I suggest to tape the whole top from edge to edge. I just encountered a problem. It got snagged in the feeder and the printer continued printing even if there was no paper. The sponge inside absorbed the ink.

No need to click on the thumbnails. You'll see the same thing.

YEP!!! my 2009 IYA DARK (ironall dark) does that as well!!!
Pain, isn't it!?!

I do think that the spray-tack will work better for me than the tape method......I will let you know.

Try something for me...... If you have access to a blow-dryer , get it.
Place the transfer paper on a flat surface and start "blow-drying" it.
....on warm.

I know it sounds crazy, but that seems to make the paper flatten out!!!

I noticed this when I was trying to dry the inks faster......
but , you will have to print right away because the "flat-ness" will not last long.
....and , after blow-drying the IYA Dark I still rolled it the opposite way just to make sure.
It then stood straight up in the printer!!! J

I am guessing that the humidity/moisture in the air will cause "paper curling", w/ this particular paper anyway....and the blow-dryer takes it out temporarily...... (I live in HUMID Florida!)

Also, a tip from Mike at tshirtsupplies ….. always keep something heavy on top of your IYA Dark (ironall dark)…
Larger than the paper of course so as not to create indentions / creases in it…… I keep a 500 pack of printer paper on top of mine

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashamutt For This Useful Post:
Rodney (May 19th, 2009), VinnyYak (May 19th, 2009)
Old May 19th, 2009 May 19, 2009 12:51:02 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I just started doing transfers and love the JPSS for lights, prints and transfers without a glitch. I then tried the Jet Opaque II, too heavy hand for what I desire. Just got batch of Ironall for Darks and the first 3 papers got caught on the printhead. I started rolling the papers then saw this post, it works, but I'd hate to have to roll every single sheet before I feed. *pause to roll another sheet*. I had similar problems with the Jet Opaque, but not as severe as IronAll. Time to go put my papers under something heavy. Oh, BTW, I live in Hawaii where it's humid too, the paper curls as soon as I remove from the package.

Old May 19th, 2009 May 19, 2009 1:39:22 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashamutt
Try something for me...... If you have access to a blow-dryer , get it.
Place the transfer paper on a flat surface and start "blow-drying" it.
....on warm.

I know it sounds crazy, but that seems to make the paper flatten out!!!
Congratulations!. This is the way to go. I'll dump my own solution. I used a heat gun on low setting. Aimed the heat gun (hair dryer will do) on the backing side, definitely not on the coated side. Not too hot and not too long or the backing side might stick to the coated side permanently. Set all my print settings on the computer but didn't click "print" yet. Warmed up the paper just like I've told you above. When the paper got flat, didn't waste any time, loaded it into the feeder, then clicked "print". This will be my method from now on. Well, honestly I tried only once. But it went smoothly and I know most of the time it will be like that.

I don't know why the manufacturers or the vendors didn't think of it. They should include this procedure in their instructions sheet and include the instructions sheet in every order package. Credit goes to you ashamutt, you're the one who suggested it.

Old May 19th, 2009 May 19, 2009 2:02:19 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Also, a tip from Mike at tshirtsupplies ….. always keep something heavy on top of your IYA Dark (ironall dark)…
Larger than the paper of course so as not to create indentions / creases in it…… I keep a 500 pack of printer paper on top of mine
I said in my very first post that some of the solutions work some of the time. I want a solution that never fails. When a sheet is curly, the most natural thing you'll do is roll it in the other direction. Then laying it on a flat surface and placing a phone book on top would be the next natural thing you'd do. Let's put it this way. I tried everything including clipping the four corners with office binder clips. I even tried using pieces of plywood and C clamps to flatten the sheets permanently.

Old May 19th, 2009 May 19, 2009 2:16:28 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
I am going to take 2 different spray adhesives - krylon easy-tack & 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive - and 2 different types of carriers – a laser transparency & a .005 Acetate Sheet.
At first I didn't quite understand what you were talking about. Then I saw two cans that I used long time ago. One is Mist and the other is Wilflex. So krylon must be like Mist and Wilflex.

I tried Wilflex, applied it on the plastic sheet. It's much much faster than using tape. It aligned well but I didn't print but I knew it will go through.
The tape has an advantage too. It's much cheaper and available everywhere. And your work area is not as messy and the plastic sheet is reuseable. After using the spray adhesive and removing the plastic sheet, it's sticky and I don't know where to store it for the next time I need it. And in case it jams, the inside of your printer will be sticky.

By the way when I used the heat gun, I warmed up only the top part. Didn't have to flatten the whole sheet of paper. Just the top part.

The Following User Says Thank You to VinnyYak For This Useful Post:
ashamutt (May 19th, 2009)
Old May 19th, 2009 May 19, 2009 3:52:25 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

yes..I am going to stick with the blow dryer method as well!!! LOL

I am also going to mention this problem to the IYA rep.
Maybe they can manufacture the IYA Dark (ironall dark) paper w/ a baking that is more rigid/stiff......?
And.... like you stated above, include this 'little"/MAJOR tip in the package instructions!!! LOL

I will try the spray adhesive for experiments sake.....too have some fun!!

...and to cover up the sticky carrier sheet when not in use I will just use the IYA Dark backing maybe??....the shinny side so it will not permanently adhere?
What do you think?

Old May 19th, 2009 May 19, 2009 8:43:32 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
...and to cover up the sticky carrier sheet when not in use I will just use the IYA Dark backing maybe??....the shinny side so it will not permanently adhere?
What do you think?
I'm thinking of using the spiral coil that holds mail/letters.

Old May 19th, 2009 May 19, 2009 8:48:27 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyYak
I'm thinking of using the spiral coil that holds mail/letters.
huh??? ....what is "spiral coil"?

Old May 20th, 2009 May 20, 2009 8:16:01 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I just got 200 sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 and 100 sheets of 11 x 17. Funny thing is one pack of 8 1/2 x 11 was rolling in length wise and another pack was rolling in width wise.

Do all the IronAll distributors sell this paper that came off a roll? I feel like my paper came from he inside of the roll. After I print, it rolls up into a tube on it's own. It was even rolling back into the printer causing jams. Must of ruined about 5 or 6 out of 50 already, despite rolling evey single one by hand. Is this what we have to deal with when using this paper? I moved away from Jet Opaque only to face more challenges with this paper.

Old May 20th, 2009 May 20, 2009 9:30:32 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
I just got 200 sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 and 100 sheets of 11 x 17. Funny thing is one pack of 8 1/2 x 11 was rolling in length wise and another pack was rolling in width wise.

Do all the IronAll distributors sell this paper that came off a roll? I feel like my paper came from he inside of the roll.
I would call the supplier of your paper and ask them these questions.
I am sure that they can give you an answer.
(mine has never done this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
After I print, it rolls up into a tube on it's own. It was even rolling back into the printer causing jams. Must of ruined about 5 or 6 out of 50 already, despite rolling evey single one by hand. Is this what we have to deal with when using this paper? I moved away from Jet Opaque only to face more challenges with this paper.
I had the same problem with curling....it IS the humidity.

Did you try the "blow-dryer" method?
It does work.

It is a pain....but it will save you money down the drain because of ruined paper.

This is a discussion about Found solution to Ironall printer jam that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in