Are these acceptable results for selling? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

Are these acceptable results for selling?

Like Tree7Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 26th, 2017 Nov 26, 2017 6:54:48 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jake
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
here is a good thread for jpss with settings, etc.

not sure of your sop, but the plain paper setting is preferred for the jpss
the paper really should have been in a seal-able plastic envelope

for the extra $0.40/sheet, i would not hesitate to go with jpss
just the fact for when you pin down your sop, you never have to worry about whether it will be sub-standard

i have several work shirts that were my very first tee presses with jpss,
and some have over 50+ wash/dry cycles (no, i don't separate whites and colors, hence the dingy appearance)
and although the colors may have muted by about 15% they still look the same as when they came off the press
there is a poster on here who has a 10 year-old sweatshirt with hundreds of washes w/jpss,
and it still was in great shape
here and here
That still looks really good for its age! What type of shirt is that on? Yes you're right, 40c doesn't seem too bad, but again, I think we get ripped off in the country because nearly every seller is a middle man and the government wants a good piece out of everything $$$$

I could try a warm peel like you suggested and I'm going to read over those other forum posts now, thanks for that! Would it be wise to finish the product off with a warm stretch as opposed to repressing and no stretch? I'm thinking after the stretch it would allow the inks to dry within the fibres more instead of repressing and joining on top? Maybe I'm over thinking it lol
into the T likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2017 Nov 26, 2017 8:20:15 PM -   #17 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Are these acceptable results for selling?

that tee of mine in the last post is white gildan dri-blend

it is a sad sight to behold in person, but the design is still great

here is the 'standard/secret' sop for jpss:
- place tee on lower platen, keep collars/arm cuffs off lower platen (or use a teflon pillow)
- sticky brush/lint roller tee, and lay hot press on top for 5-7 secs to remove moisture
(no pressure just the weight of the platen on it)
- center jpss on tee, cover with parchment paper
- use heavy pressure (needs to be difficult to close) and press @ 375F for 30 secs
- lift press and immediately peel from upper corner to bottom corner in a smooth motion keeping it as close to the tee as possible
-give the tee a light stretch vertically and horizontally, cover with parchment paper and re-press for 10-12 secs
- peel parchment immediately and re-stretch lightly
(parchment is cheap in rolls at costco, so don't reuse after the second press,
because it will take up a layer of ink and can cause ghosting on your next tee)
- let cool and do not wash for 24 hours (wash cold water inside out, hang to dry, nobody does this, so don't test this way)

unfortunately i have some small elements in some designs that are by themselves,
and i noticed on the initial hot peel they would skew with the peel direction and stay that way
plus i always found it too hot to peel properly and i ended up rushing and crying from the heat
rushing and crying, crying and rushing, vicious circle
so i am trialling the new luke-warm peel with no stretch then a hot stretch after 15 sec second press

if you are curious what jpss looks like on dark tees check the below image
it can be done with the foreknowledge that you will be getting the equivalent of a 50% translucent design
my thought is you could bump the saturation up to make a faded old design, or down to make a more purposeful 'ghosted' design
obviously would not work for photos, but actual designs might achieve some interesting results
mgparrish likes this.

Last edited by into the T; December 2nd, 2017 at 05:35 PM..

Old November 26th, 2017 Nov 26, 2017 8:24:49 PM -   #18 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

on the warm stretch the answer is no
you need hot ink and hot fibers
then the stretch lets the ink flow into the crevices and then cools in the fibers,
as opposed to most that just lay on top of the fibers

you should do a vigorous raking of your fingernails all over your designs and see if you can flake anything off

Old November 27th, 2017 Nov 27, 2017 12:22:01 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
that tee of mine in the last post is white gildan dri-blend

it is a sad sight to behold in person, but the design is still great

here is the 'standard/secret' sop for jpss:
- place tee on lower platen, keep collars/arm cuffs off lower platen (or use a teflon pillow)
- sticky brush/lint roller tee, and lay hot press on top for 5-7 secs to remove moisture
(no pressure just the weight of the platen on it)
- center jpss on tee, cover with parchment paper
- use heavy pressure (needs to be difficult to close) and press @ 375F for 30 secs
- lift press and immediately peel from upper corner to bottom corner in a smooth motion keeping it as close to the tee as possible
-give the tee a light stretch vertically and horizontally, cover with parchment paper and re-press for 10-12 secs
- peel parchment immediately and re-stretch lightly
(parchment is cheap in rolls at costco, so don't reuse after the second press,
because it will take up a layer of ink and can cause ghosting on your next tee)
- let cool and do not wash for 24 hours (wash cold water inside out, hang to dry, nobody does this, so don't test this way)

unfortunately i have some small elements in some designs that are by themselves,
and i noticed on the initial hot peel they would skew with the peel direction and stay that way
plus i always found it too hot to peel properly and i ended up rushing and crying from the heat
rushing and crying, crying and rushing, vicious circle
so i am trialling the new luke-warm peel with no stretch then a hot stretch after 15 sec second press

if you are curious what jpss looks like on dark tees check the below image
it can be done with the foreknowledge that you will be getting the equivalent of a 50% translucent design
my thought is you could bump the saturation up to make a faded old design, or down to make a more purposeful 'ghosted' design
obviously would not work for photos, but actual designs might achieve some interesting results
Some very good information here, thank you very much. I've printed out two designs, 1 jpss and 1 for the other paper, Identical print settings, dpi, quality etc... I've printed them, cut them out and will hopefully get to transfer them when I'm home from work. I'll be transferring the designs side by side, using the same settings and stretch method etc for both and this will show me how they hold up in a direct comparison

Will post results once done and update further after washing etc. Thank you for posting many informative tips, great to know help is still out there on this forum
into the T likes this.

Old November 28th, 2017 Nov 28, 2017 4:26:52 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

So I pressed another shirt using the two different papers. I reckon they both came out awesome but the real test with be after the wash. Both papers behaved exactly like eachother. The logo is the same as one of the papers.

1. Pre pressed shirt 10 sec @ 187deg C
2. Lined up images and pressed at 187deg C for 30-32secs (two beeps after timer finished on press)
3. Hot peeled all and immediately stretched warm shirt
4. Recovered images and pressed again for 10secs then removed and stretched again.
5. Let cool and play the waiting game haha

Will be interesting to see the wash results, can you guess which image is what paper?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171128_182602_1511875502339.jpg (2.55 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20171128_205846_1511875526481.jpg (3.24 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20171128_182623_1511875577903.jpg (2.61 MB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20171128_205553_1511875598264.jpg (4.43 MB, 22 views)

Old November 28th, 2017 Nov 28, 2017 4:31:17 AM -   #21 (permalink)
Amw
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Marsha & Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4dowcreep
So I pressed another shirt using the two different papers. I reckon they both came out awesome but the real test with be after the wash. Both papers behaved exactly like eachother. The logo is the same as one of the papers.

1. Pre pressed shirt 10 sec @ 187deg C
2. Lined up images and pressed at 187deg C for 30-32secs (two beeps after timer finished on press)
3. Hot peeled all and immediately stretched warm shirt
4. Recovered images and pressed again for 10secs then removed and stretched again.
5. Let cool and play the waiting game haha

Will be interesting to see the wash results, can you guess which image is what paper?
Looks much better!

Old November 28th, 2017 Nov 28, 2017 10:50:02 AM -   #22 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

looks like you got a nice embed (heavy pressure and the hot stretch help)

what are you printing with, and did you contour cut?

Old November 28th, 2017 Nov 28, 2017 1:00:01 PM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thank you yeah I'm quite impressed with the turn out considering I used ALOT LEDs ink lol

Quote:
looks like you got a nice embed (heavy pressure and the hot stretch help)

what are you printing with, and did you contour cut?
Wash test will see how well they Imbedded
I just hand cut these images and am printing with an Epson XP-420. I'm nearly finished using the factory durabrite inks (yellow colour shift has always been tricky to eliminate) but I've got some 3rd party pigment ink and some refillable cartridges ready to go

Old November 28th, 2017 Nov 28, 2017 5:45:42 PM -   #24 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

i am back to using the durabrites as my 7610 w/cis heat transfer inks died,
and left me with a smaller cx7800 and factory carts

got any tips you would care to share for the durabrites?

your colors are nice and bold and look true

Old November 28th, 2017 Nov 28, 2017 7:04:21 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
i am back to using the durabrites as my 7610 w/cis heat transfer inks died,
and left me with a smaller cx7800 and factory carts

got any tips you would care to share for the durabrites?

your colors are nice and bold and look true
That's a real shame, would have been nice to have cis. First and foremost, do some research on the computer monitor youre using and tweak the settings to known recommended/quality setting. People tend to have their monitors too warm or too cool on their settings or usually don't change them from default which are off from factory. Changing this will help to improve the accuracy of what you see vs what you print. If you have an ISP monitor you might even find an icc profile. I see a lot of people referring to using an icc profile with their 3rd party inks but once I switch I'll be aiming to match colour without one lol

For printing in photoshop - some settings I used above

1. Render intent set to saturation
2. Plain paper, high quality
3. In the advanced colour settings I use Adobe 2.2 profile and uncheck any other special options. When you print black in a coloured image with durabrite you can get a yellow shift, noticeable around the edges. You can reduce the yellow saturation via the sliders. For another job I found I needed -20 yellow to produce close to what I wanted. Always used grey scale for a plain black text or grey scale type image.

Thats it really. On those street fighter prints I didn't even adjust the yellow saturation as I'm trying to use up my carts haha!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sh4dowcreep For This Useful Post:
into the T (December 3rd, 2017)
Old November 29th, 2017 Nov 29, 2017 2:38:59 AM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

So after I washed the shirt I noticed very slight cracking from all images. But this was while the shirt is still damp. I gave it a slight stretch (not sure if it's good to do this while its damp) and the results are kinda the same with both papers side by side. I will wait till it drys however. I am beginning to think that it may be a heat related issue for them both to be cracking. The images look awesome with the shirt just hanging there. Virtually no loss in colour from either and blacks are still black. The polymer window on the jpss is less noticable but again, damp shirt will show imperfections a lot more. I'll take a photo and edit this post with the damp shirt, then again tomorrow with it dry.

Perhaps I need to increase my press to 200deg C to account for a temp drop. I have a heat gun and once the plate is heated it seems rather consistent. It's a cheaper press but has worked well for a few other shirts and singlets I have done, all which have held up after multiple washes

Edit - here are some pictures of the tee still damp from first wash, what do you think?

Edit 2 - so there is definitely some cracking from both the jpss and the other paper. Jpss almost looks worse in some angles which is weird...

Perhaps this is a just the way cotton works? With the weeves? Am I stressing over too much? Not as if you sit there stretching a shirt before you go an wear it lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171129_231656_1511961919450.jpg (3.70 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20171129_231812_1511961947288.jpg (3.41 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20171129_231914_1511961970262.jpg (3.48 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20171129_232000_1511961990034.jpg (3.40 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20171130_064537_1511989499139.jpg (3.06 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20171130_064738_1511989529524.jpg (2.91 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20171130_070239_1511989548758.jpg (4.33 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by Sh4dowcreep; November 29th, 2017 at 12:17 PM..

This is a discussion about Are these acceptable results for selling? that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in