New to T-Shirt Forum! Having Trouble with Sublimation Ink and Transfer paper - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper
Discuss the different inkjet transfer papers currently on the market.

New to T-Shirt Forum! Having Trouble with Sublimation Ink and Transfer paper

Like Tree8Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 31st, 2017 Oct 31, 2017 4:57:42 PM -   #16 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Loretta
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New to T-Shirt Forum! Having Trouble with Sublimation Ink and Transfer paper

Let's start with the basics. Heat transfer and sublimation are two entirely different methods of printing, even though they both use an inkjet printer and paper and a heat press. Sublimation requires specific sublimation paper, sublimation ink, and higher temps and pressure.

You cannot sublimate on cotton and if you use, say a 50/50 cotton/poly blend your image will be faded because the sublimation ink will only adhere to the polyester fabric. You might see it nicely right after printing but the first time you wash it, the image will fall off the cotton fibers.

Go to Conde.com and watch their videos on sublimation. Just the fact that you have a white image on a black shirt tells me you're using the wrong paper. If I'm wrong on that, I'll let you know.
Ibadsafi likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2017 Oct 31, 2017 5:20:59 PM -   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: New to T-Shirt Forum! Having Trouble with Sublimation Ink and Transfer paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lben
Let's start with the basics. Heat transfer and sublimation are two entirely different methods of printing, even though they both use an inkjet printer and paper and a heat press. Sublimation requires specific sublimation paper, sublimation ink, and higher temps and pressure.

You cannot sublimate on cotton and if you use, say a 50/50 cotton/poly blend your image will be faded because the sublimation ink will only adhere to the polyester fabric. You might see it nicely right after printing but the first time you wash it, the image will fall off the cotton fibers.

Go to Conde.com and watch their videos on sublimation. Just the fact that you have a white image on a black shirt tells me you're using the wrong paper. If I'm wrong on that, I'll let you know.
Thanks a lot for your information.
I have both types of papers, a. sublimation papers for mugs and plates b. Dark/Light heat transfer papers for T-shirts and Caps .
I used Dark heat transfer printed by sublimation ink for black t-shirt which results faded after washing and as you see attached pictures I used light heat transfer paper printed by dye ink for 100% polyester and 100% Cotton, the result after washing is the same as after heat transfer but the 100% cotton shirt transferred result looks faded in some dots.

What type of fabric material are best for
NEENAH 3G Dark heat transfer paper
and JPSS Light heat transfer paper?

Kindly let me know.

And I really appreciate everyone reply over-here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171031_193230.jpg (1,004.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20171031_193347.jpg (432.6 KB, 8 views)

Old October 31st, 2017 Oct 31, 2017 5:47:38 PM -   #18 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibadsafi

What type of fabric material are best for
NEENAH 3G Dark heat transfer paper
and JPSS Light heat transfer paper?
not so much fabric, as ink

you need sublimation ink for mugs/plates/100% polyester garments with sublimation papers

you need pigment ink for jpss and 3g with inkjet papers
jpss works best with 50/50 white (or light tee's)

Old October 31st, 2017 Oct 31, 2017 5:47:40 PM -   #19 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You cannot use sublimation ink on cotton or on regular heat transfer paper. Sublimation requires specific blanks as well as specific ink and paper. They must have a polyester coating. Shirts for sublimation are polyester. I suggest you go to CobraInk.com and buy some pigment ink for your printer along with refillable ink carts for it and some head cleaner. If you want to print on cotton use your transfer paper and pigment ink. Dye ink (not sublimation ink) will run and wash off when wet. To get some really nice, long lasting prints on cotton, use chromablast ink and paper. But I think it only works on light fabric unless the technology has changed since I last used it and they can print on dark fabrics.

You can't mix ink and papers. Sublimation ink is absorbed into the sublimation paper. When heat and pressure are applied to the paper while it is on a polyester shirt or other poly coated product, the heat turns the ink into a gas. The heat also causes the pores in the paper and substrate to open. The gas is then forced into the pores. Once heat and pressure are removed, the pores shut, thereby trapping the gas beneath the surface of the poly fabric or substrate.

Regular heat transfers simply put the ink on the surface of the fabric.
Ibadsafi likes this.

Old October 31st, 2017 Oct 31, 2017 5:58:03 PM -   #20 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
not so much fabric, as ink

you need sublimation ink for mugs/plates/100% polyester garments with sublimation papers

you need pigment ink for jpss and 3g with inkjet papers
jpss works best with 50/50 white (or light tee's)
Thank you so much to all! without this forum and you guys I was totally lost, now It looks I am coming to right track, few hours back I had no knowledge at all, I ordered pigment ink with 3g and jpss papers.
Perhaps I need second printer for sublimation ink and sublimation papers too!!

Old October 31st, 2017 Oct 31, 2017 6:07:26 PM -   #21 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I have one printer that I use different inks in. I just clean the heads really good when I have to change ink.
Ibadsafi likes this.

This is a discussion about New to T-Shirt Forum! Having Trouble with Sublimation Ink and Transfer paper that was posted in the Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in